Violating a Princess!

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Back in Betty’s bum, a little progress (mess). In another post I’ve toyed with a distribution board layout. It was a good exercise as it highlighted problems. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, so I screwed some pressure treated battens to the body and attached the board.
Not many toys at the moment, but enough to join most of the solar controllers together. Yes the wiring is long and scruffy, but it’s safer at this stage.
After more trouble than I hoped for I got all three mppt’s working nicely with each other. At the moment the starter batteries are being used as a load/sink.
Once I have a DC DC converter fitted I can test some of the 12 volt installations.
Whilst pondering over my work, I realised that I could move the habitation batteries into what was going to be my gas locker. Saving around five metres of heavy cable. The new location is below the distribution board.
Just need to find a new gas locker location.

14837C4B-D742-414B-8959-0CC91CE688DC.jpeg

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
So on a lighter note, excusing the pun. During the week on an unusually dry afternoon Anita helped feed the fuel tank back into it's home. What a horrible job. To get to the front bracket mounting holes you needed to unstrap an air tank! Then whilst resting the fuel tank on the front bracket you have to feed in the rear bracket and try and find the bolt holes. What fun. Hence the reason I spent so long cleaning and insulating above it.
Fuels pipes connected and 40 litres put in the tank. Started first go :) Nice to put some air back into it.
Now I have a fuel take of pipe for the eberspacher. You can just see the blue pipe coiled up. Next job find a nice home for the fuel pump.

IMG_0278[1].JPG

RV2MAX

Forum Member
Back in Betty’s bum, a little progress (mess). In another post I’ve toyed with a distribution board layout. It was a good exercise as it highlighted problems. The proof of the pudding is in the eating, so I screwed some pressure treated battens to the body and attached the board.
Not many toys at the moment, but enough to join most of the solar controllers together. Yes the wiring is long and scruffy, but it’s safer at this stage.
After more trouble than I hoped for I got all three mppt’s working nicely with each other. At the moment the starter batteries are being used as a load/sink.
Once I have a DC DC converter fitted I can test some of the 12 volt installations.
Whilst pondering over my work, I realised that I could move the habitation batteries into what was going to be my gas locker. Saving around five metres of heavy cable. The new location is below the distribution board.
Just need to find a new gas locker location.

View attachment 3145
Do mppt controllers not like being connected more than one to a battery bank ?

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Do mppt controllers not like being connected more than one to a battery bank ?
That used to be the case, one would fight for dominance. So you could have one in bulk and another in absorption or float. Now Victron have given them a good slapping (none were hurt or harmed in the process) and they are supposed to get along nicely. On the bluetooth display it shows the combined power. With very little load at the moment and poor sunlight it's hard to watch them play.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Half a day spent installing the eberspacher M12 fuel pump, how could it have taken so long!
I was lazy and used an existing hole in the chassis to mount the pump. Routing the plumbing was the pain. Trying to find a direct, but safe route for the fuel pipe and pump wiring.
Now having a fuel supply I connected the fuel pipe and power cable to the boiler. Nothing tied in, just rough routed until I'm happy.
As not to run it dry I just tapped into a heater hose. I will not be plumbing as per eberspacher suggestions as I think my solution works better for my needs. With my theory, you have to think of the engine as another boiler. So there will be two boilers capable of heating one circuit.
I'm happy and indeed want the M12 to be able to preheat the engine, but I don't want the engine to heat the M12. So I have fitted a full bore one way valve on the output of the M12. As it's plumbed at the moment I can heat the engine and cab heater, but the engine won't heat the cab heater due to the valve. More about plumbing later as this was just a boiler test.
Some blighter at Mercedes though it would be good to pack bundles of wires and air pipes right where I want to run my exhaust. I've given the exhaust pipe a couple of layers of heat proof socking, but it will require some bracketry made to make sure it doesn't go walkies and burn anything.
I'm still not sure where it's going once it leaves the engine bay, but I'll worry about that latter.
I managed to follow a loom and got the wiring in behind the glove box, handy because also the body control module and fuse board are there too.
Negative easy, ground stud provided for me. Positive looks easy too as there is a power stud on the back of the body control module.
Yes it has power with the ignition off. Turn the isolator off, and it still has power! WHAT! So after some head scratching the penny dropped.
Whilst playing with my MPPT family I used the engine batteries as a load for them. So even though I had turned off the isolator, I was still powering the Mercedes electrics with the solar! Remove fuse, fixed!
The M12 eberspacher has a warm cab feature that I used in Murky. I wanted to do the same in Betty. What about the electronics I hear maybe one of you scream. Yes Betty has a body control module messing around with many things. So a good study of the wiring diagrams was required. Yes more than one wiring diagram as mercedes are nice like that! The heater fan has power to it all the time. The speed controls ground resistors to make it work. It looks like the power feed into the body control module is common around the vehicle and is applied to the heater fan via a relay controlled by the ignition switch. So I intend to feed power to the exit of the relay from the eberspacher thermostatically controlled relay. So that if the heater fan is left in a switched on position and the ignition is off. When the M12 is started and the water is to temperature the relay will activate and warm the cab. (hopefully not damaging the body control module or making it do strange things)
The next stage of this will be to make the distribution pipes. A job for Anita me thinks. ;)

IMG_0280[1].JPG

Last edited:

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
I was supposed to be working this weekend as the weather was going to be too wet for bricklaying. The machining job I was given had an hours cycle time that allowed me to escape and touch up Betty a little.
I cleaned and painted the left hand footwell to allow me to insulate it. This is an area often overlooked, but using the sticky back foam does cut down engine noise.
It was a bit tight getting the plastic panelling back in, but it fitted. Did a little trimming on the glass fibre panels and got them to fit better too.
There is another glass fibre panel that forms a cupboard in the footwell, but where I had planned on putting the co-drivers seat it was going to be a little tight.
Executive decision required by Anita. So after some mock-ups, none of my ideas were accepted! The folding base seat we have, will return close to it's original location just behind the door. The mounting structure will be better than the horrible coach idea. I'm hoping to include in it's base, a spring loaded foot rest. Other wise your feet are left to uncomfortably dangle. Whilst at it I'll investigate making a swivel plate too. So that it can be used as a guest seat facing the lounge.

Anita has managed to track down a fabric manufacture that has products we like. Down side minimum quantities of 30 meters. So it's looking like a £1000.00 fabric bill coming along soon. On top of this I think it will be too much for either of our sewing machines. So hunting for an industrial walking foot sewing machine will be on the to-do list.

IMG_0282[1].JPG

IMG_0281[1].JPG

The idea being using the fancy fabric for the seat cushions and highlighting some of the roof panels. The plain navy blue will be for wall panels, trim strips and roof panels.

IMG_0283[1].JPG

Last edited:

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
DC - DC converter now mounted to the distribution board, as usual just a lash up for testing. Finally having 12 volts I'm able to start testing some installations. I went for the easy ones first and have now tested both Maxfans, relieved that they are wired correctly. Phew!
Still to test the cooker and shower extractor fans.
I want to auto switch the shower fan and light, then delay them both once no movement is sensed.

Thanks to Wildebus for his help and warnings.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
As I now have power to both Maxxfans, it gave me a chance to play with them via remote control.
So yes one controller will operate two fans, but there is a glitch.
The remote control remembers the state it was last used.
For example. If both fans are running, but closed and you choose to turn them off.
The first fan will stop as expected. The second fan will open and continue to run.
You have to press the off button again to close and stop it.
A disappointment, but just fussy really is that you can't stop the fan in a mid position with the remote control.

IMG_0284[1].JPG
IMG_0285[1].JPG

wildebus

Forum Member
Interesting observation. Thinking about it, when I have watched a YouTube video of van installs with multiple Maxxair fans, I think they have tended to only having one remote one and the other manual? Maybe what you found is the reason?

Trying to think of a sensible way to have both remotely controlled but I can't. Guess it is like when you have two TVs of the same brand? Have you got a Main one and a Secondary one and just cover the IR reciever on the secondary?

Ah ... as I was typing that, I have a thought ... How about having little remote relays that enables/disables the IR receivers - such as this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Channe...rared-Remote-Control-230VAC-10A/112407170220?

Have one circuit for each fans IR. enable or disable each fans IR as you want
Then, if you want to go even fancier ... Get a programmable IR Remote Controller and replicate all the functions of the Maxxair remote PLUS the functions of the Remote Relay IR Remote :D

Well, whatever, I am 'well jel' of your Maxxair Fans :( I have one in the LT Campervan. It is the first thing I bought to install when I bought the van and it is the dogs doodahs. I can't install one in the Motorhome due to the external rear overhang of the fan cover so stuck with the basic boring standard motorhome vent :( :(

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
No David, the problem, if you can call it a problem. Is that the remote control remembers what it last did.
It does not operate both fans simultaneously, as far as I know.
So a button that toggles, such as on/off remembers it's state.

Millie Master

Forum Member
Personally I like sticks and stones and direct control for the only reason that I am far closer to being in control with a direct switch that a remote control that in my experience, oh so very often, develops a glitch!
But there again, that is a 70+ something spouting off again in the same way as he does every time he sees someone walking their dogs in with headphones and a mobile phone.............. why not enjoy the countryside?

Phil

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Personally I like sticks and stones and direct control for the only reason that I am far closer to being in control with a direct switch that a remote control that in my experience, oh so very often, develops a glitch!
But there again, that is a 70+ something spouting off again in the same way as he does every time he sees someone walking their dogs in with headphones and a mobile phone.............. why not enjoy the countryside?

Phil
It does it all manually Phil, it's just nice to know how it works after looking at them for many months.