Violating a Princess!

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
A touch more progress over the last couple of days. As the top coating of the roof was finished I was able to fit the last miasol panel. Extra space was left between these two for the shower fan and solar panel junction boxes.
I had some other solar panels to fill the last remaining space. The problem being that these panels were not self adhesive. I used double sided foam tape to coat the back of them being careful not to stretch the tape. The next problem was to join all the backing tape so that it could all be pulled away in one.
Put a couple of old batteries in the back and temporarily wired in the two new Victron solar controllers. Low and behold they do work as a pair looking after the same battery bank.

BB592BC3-CCFF-4261-8290-C924CDE82C64.jpeg
31AD33B2-C5D4-48BC-BA9B-266EC08490E3.jpeg

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Today I finished of one of my window demisters, yes I know I don’t have double glassing but this should do the trick.
What I have done is seal the ends of some aluminium box section. Drilled some small holes in the top face close to the glass. In the bottom I have fitted a dog legged aluminium tube. Betty will have water heated blown air ducting down both sides, so I will tap into these for the warm air. Over the top of this will be fitted the original plastic trim panel to hold the warm air to the window.

Sorry it’s a bit big to get in the photo.

96D98036-6D0C-42F6-9A5C-B2E5D6E3B312.jpeg
A6AC8C67-3A22-4018-90AD-6AEC20B2A709.jpeg

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Continuing violations ;) It just seems that all I do with Betty is fiddle. So what have I been fiddling with? Well two more window demisters have been made, just need some more black pu mastic to bond them in. As the back demister was in place I’ve had another go at fitting the kitchen cabinet frame. Doing this confirms that the electrical cabinet cannot penetrate this space. It’s getting closer to the point of having to buy the fridge and cooker to ensure the air and water plumbing will fit behind.

Today I switched on the ignition and heard a crack from the coach electrical cabinet. Not only did a fuse blow, so did the holder. Two heater wires resting on the bed frame! So three hours later I repaired the board and refitted it. Not having the confidence to tackle a bigger job, I decided to finish converting the remaining roof lights. Convinced I knew how the lights worked I was having problems. So back to the wiring diagrams. I was wrong and another switch was involved. One switch switches the festoons on. The other switch first switches on the back two lights and then the next two.

DBAA204D-F9E7-4ED3-80E5-D12918EE5F20.jpeg
67EE8B05-06E8-4E2E-A9F4-CCD027E79D84.jpeg

Bouydog

Forum Member
I understand your frustrations with existing wiring, I had battles in my library conversion with wiring but no diagram and at a later stage than I would have liked replaced it all.
Yours is looking good, hard work paying off.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
I understand your frustrations with existing wiring, I had battles in my library conversion with wiring but no diagram and at a later stage than I would have liked replaced it all.
Yours is looking good, hard work paying off.
I think we have all been there. We know what we should do, but convincing ourselves that there are easier options. 90% of the trim looked very good, fooling me into thinking about trying to save it. From day 1 it wanted gutting. Tears will dry up, and the later smiles will wipe away the stressful memory of your butchery. The other pain is trying to store parts you want to keep and materials.
As for the wiring Plaxton have been very good in suppling manuals. The wiring loom seems to be universal for a range of coaches, so a lot not used.
Another pain was trying to learn about how the body control module works, does not seem to be much info on this. So the road lighting had to match what Mercedes expect. I still have a lighting fault light, but that might explain why the bulb was missing!
Thanks for the support.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Had some more bits turn up today, so I'm able to plan how I'm going to fit the air ducting in Betty's bum!
First problem there is structure in the way :( Oh well I'll just have to cut it out. This is going to give me a rather unstable shelf at the end of the floor.
The end of the floor finishes with an unpleasant piece of angle that stuck up above the floor. What I'll do now is remove the angle and replace/reposition it with some 40x40 box section. Cleans the end up and gives it more rigidity.
There will be a 90mm air pipe down each side of the floor. Whilst travelling hot air will be blown from the back towards the front. When parked up a D4 eberspacher will blow hot air the opposite way along the left hand tube. Through some elbows and back along the right hand tube. So some crafty plumbing and fancy fabrication to marry the fan heater units to the 90mm Tee pieces. watch this space.

IMG_0236[1].JPG

IMG_0237[1].JPG

Millie Master

Forum Member
I reckon you have been studying the way the Roman's installed their underfloor heating in their forts throughout their occupied world :ROFLMAO:

I take my hat off to you, your imagination, skills and perseverance never cease to amaze me you are an exhibition to us all

Phil

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Couldn't you have installed a wet heating system similar to the ones fitted to so many modern day caravans and motorhomes?

Phil
The heating whilst driving is provided by the engine coolant. It's then blown around the coach. Stationary a D4 eberspacher is used for heating the air. I also have a 12kva water eberspacher, so for extra heat if needed I can use the air and water heating together. A simpler version is used on Murky and works well.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
More violations, as the fuel tank is out it makes sense to do all the horrible jobs in that area. First it needed washing. Not the best time of year for that! Once dry attack it with a wire brush. Out with the airline and dislodge any remaining dirt. Treat any remaining minor corrosion. Let that cure, then paint. Once the paint is dry, drown any unreachable areas in hot wax oil. Then it’s time for insulation, 30mm thick. Trimmed so it has to be hammered in. All the joints sealed with pu mastic. Once the mastic is thoroughly cured, more paint to stop the foil on the insulation corroding.
All I wanted to do was fit a fuel take off.

D6725299-57C9-4E66-A72A-608237EB747B.jpeg

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)