Violating a Princess!

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Are you going to do it so the fans gradually kick in one by one depending on the temperature and cooling needed?
Fancy idea there David, but I'm going to keep it simple. Once current is detected in the fridge supply the fans turn on. Once the fridge stops the fans turn off. I have a self powered Chinese current detecting switch, but as yet it won't play. I suspect I'll end up making the device I posted earlier.

wildebus

Forum Member
self-powered? so drawing power from the circuit it is current-sensing? If so I can't see how that will work as it will need power in order to be active to sense the power? and draw enough power to drive the fans as well?

Nabsim

Forum Member
Are you aware that you can get thermostats, sensors and all sorts of control gear for these computer fans? I had on off controlled by temp sensor then either auto or manual speed control on my big Thermaltake computer years ago before changing to water cooling

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Are you aware that you can get thermostats, sensors and all sorts of control gear for these computer fans? I had on off controlled by temp sensor then either auto or manual speed control on my big Thermaltake computer years ago before changing to water cooling
I've studied this route, temperature switching is a serious mistake. Unless you have some fancy controller to take in consideration of the ambient temperature.
Simple power sensing is all that's required.

trevskoda

Forum Member
I've studied this route, temperature switching is a serious mistake. Unless you have some fancy controller to take in consideration of the ambient temperature.
Simple power sensing is all that's required.
Like these.
switch a.png
switch b.png

SquirrellCook

Forum Member

Just the switch, to drive a relay to switch the 24 volts.
Just got this little animal to work. It was silly, but I hoped passing the whole power cable though the hole for the fridge would work. Of course it didn't. So I split the mains cable to just pass the live through the hole, and it works. Pleased with the success I might try and use it's switching contacts to switch 24 volts at 420mA and avoid the relay.

Last edited:

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Saturday was spent with a lot of time on my back. Insulating Betty’s boot floor. Going to have to buy some Buffalo board soon.
Today was a fabrication epic. We had some 1.5mm aluminium sheet left over from sealing the engine from the cab.
Rough sketch made and we had enough material. 1300mm wide and our Brake Press tooling was only 1250mm. We got away with it. Unfortunately the machine was not big enough to make all the bends, so I had to do a 1300mm open corner weld. That went better than expected. A bit of trimming and we had a panel to close a big hole in its bum.
Next we made a quick kitchen cabinet as a tester. Going to have to move the back legs forward to get all the plumbing behind. Then the argument, I wanted the sink drainer on the left hand side as the cooker will be too the right of the sink. I was told firmly that the drainer must be to the right.
98A31EC7-7427-4B20-A6AE-050271A47858.jpeg
B1EBF2AF-9FB4-4DFF-8184-727A6372D3DA.jpeg

Last edited:

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Another box of tricks turned up today. Hopefully once the boiler is fitted I'll be able to enclose more of the front end. All for the sake of being able to get a spanner on four bolts. I'm going to plumb this the way we worked it out for Murky as it worked so well for us.
Window Man appears tomorrow morning to remove two pieces of glass, I do hope the horrors exposed will be minor as we'll be having him back in a couple of days to refit.

IMG_0122.JPG

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
It’s been a bit of an odd week. First two windows removed, so then the panic to get the repairs done. The rear window is being replaced by an aluminium panel. This has been painted outside, etch primer, primer and black. Each coat containing some kind of insect :( . Extra steelwork added for the new door hinges. Come the day of window fitting it was to0 wet. So two more windows got removed!! To try and keep the rain out sheets of insulation were sacrificed.
Window finisher strips from Plaxton, was quoted £100.00 each. 8 needed! Purchased one of each hand and will make a mould from each. Got a better price in the end with some more trim strips. Stock now considered end of life.
Rather than waist the rest of today I braved the weather and started preparing the roof for some more solar panels.

66D8ED6F-9034-4FAA-8E61-3A30CE29782C.jpeg
BDD1D65E-6973-4B17-BFF1-7632CD431575.jpeg

Last edited:

Tookey

Forum Member
So a new build starts, time will tell how foolish we are being. We have discussed down sizing or even a new build on a chassis bulkhead. In a fit of madness we purchased this old tart, that will be renamed Betty. I hope it doesn't get to many other names. I will post progress as the mood takes me.

MarkView attachment 1396
Some great work going on. With the level or strength and durability going into the build can I ask what the intended use is?

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
There have been many occasions where we have provided hospitality in adverse conditions. So it has to be easy to clean and quick to dry.
Gorillas with big coats and covered in mud can be clumsy.
Then you have the fools who have travelled a thousand miles expecting some kind of catering on site. So we feed them.
We have a 3x9 metre aluminium framed marquee on board, but often on the first night it's not assembled. It doesn't have heating so we only entertain in there when it's warm enough.
I'd like to have some kind of entrance dog kennel that is quick to setup. It will be handy for removing muddy clothes before entering.
So as you can read it needs to be tough.