Not a Self-build, but a Tweaker

Tookey

Forum Member
Got another little job out the way this morning (y)
I bought for Clarence a dashtop combo display showing various things. Never really found a neat place on his dash for it and when I got "Monty the Motorhome" (name changed again!) there was the ideal place on the centre document holder/tray :). So put there but never got round to wiring it up - until today! I really can't be doing with trailing wires, so any thing that is remotely permanent MUST have hidden cables whenever possible.
At the moment it is right at the back of the tray. Might move it forward after using it - we shall see. It is secured with one of those odd sticky pads that are very secure but can be pulled off and respositioned easily.

Cable dropped down hole under the tray (I think all the holes underneath are for heat ventilation within the dash? and into the centre storage box where I could connect to an ignition signal wire, plus a ground, so the unit goes on and off with the key.
View attachment 3891

A Closer view ...
View attachment 3892
So on the left GPS info giving Speed in MPH and Location co-ordinates.
On the right is a Compass.
In the middle are the inclinometers for side to side and fore and aft. I am thinking these could be handy for approximate levelling? The numbers above I think is a digital version of the analog graphical display (it has been so long since last powered up I can't remember!)
Then at the bottom you have Altimeter, Time of Day and the Battery Voltage (starter battery in this case).
How useful this will prove to be I really don't know but I like the look of it :D

There is a different model that you connect to the EOBD port and can display engine info. This unit has an RJ45 labelled EODB, but I think that is just because the two units use the same shell.
A link please David

wildebus

Forum Member
A link please David
This would look to be the same unit - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124252025202?hash=item1cedff7172:g:l44AAOSwcQRfBYpT
I remember it was not a super cheap unit (well made and solid) but I am sure it was not in the region of £95?

did a search on Amazon for "gps inclinometer" - https://amzn.to/3vibNNM
In that list of products, it is the Autool brand I got I am pretty sure - https://amzn.to/3hRL4Ub - £75, which is getting more reasonable. I recall being impressed with the packaging (little things like that do stick in the memory).

This looks very similar but with the roll and tilt meters made into 1 busier one - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234006295263?hash=item367bdcb2df:g:4ZUAAOSwfahghkl1 - and a 1/3rd the price. Looks much better value.

Last edited:

wildebus

Forum Member
Will be interesting to see how useful this gadget is to level the MH.
Went out for the first time since fitting it and while I didn't try to level, the L-R tilt seemed fairly sensitive. It show up road camber pretty well.
Didn't notice the fore-aft gauge change (guess watching the road?).
The Digital Speedo was nice and handy and the compass certainly worked (that works with North always up rather then being direction up).

wildebus

Forum Member
Last few days been working on fitting the Air Assist kit I got back in November.

Went for the VB Air Suspension Kit with a 12V Compressor addition. After prevaricating for ages on where to install the gauges, in the end I opted to fit in an external locker very close to the rear axle. Not as handy as Dash Mount but significantly simpler to install and better long-term reliability potentially (a lot less air hose!)
1622829209249.png

The Pipework at the back of the gauges is fairly complex and does have quite a few potential leak areas so keep access availabilty is quite handy
1622830997629.png

I can get to the back from the locker for any maintenance which will be good.
This is the locker where I keep the tyre Compressor so in hindsight I could have forgone the Compressor kit and just connected the tyre when I want to raise the pressure, but having on connected up will be more convenient.

The compressor is mounted in a kitchen cupboard on the other side of the Locker. It is actually in a cupboard void to the right of the cutlery draw (that is one of the slider rails in the photo) so handy use of otherwise wasted space (y)

1622829398154.png

This is what the rear suspension looks like generally - Leaf Spring at the bottom and a bump stop in the middle.
1622830134242.png

Basically, if the spring is touching the bump stop when the vehicle is stopped either it is overloaded or the springs have had it.
Ducatos generally have either a 1 Spring Normal or a 2 Spring Heavy Duty. On my Motorhome I actually have a 3 Spring Very Heavy Duty set. The difference between the 2 Spring HD and the 3 Spring VHD can be seen below
1622830238838.png

This made installation of the Air Assist a bit more awkward as the provided U-Bolts were only long enough for a 1 or 2 spring Ducato so I had to work out an alternative method ....
Swapped out the U-Bolts for some Flat Bar, prepped with appropriately placed holes and doubled up for strength at the bottom of the Spring and Hi Tensile steel bolts to connect the bottom and top plates together.
1622830532377.png

Air bags now in place
1622830773705.png

With the 3 Spring set in place, that will probably change the PSI settings that would work best compared to other MHs with standard Springs. I'll have to try different settings for a while to find what seems to work best (went out for a drive at around 3 PSI, came back at 2PSI and now set at 2.5PSI.
Going fairly low (I think?) initially.
1622829685390.png

Nabsim

Forum Member
If you haven’t yet done it Dave check with the supplier, I think AS said don’t travel less than 2.5 bar or you risk damage to the bags. May have been under that a little, I didn’t note it down

wildebus

Forum Member
If you haven’t yet done it Dave check with the supplier, I think AS said don’t travel less than 2.5 bar or you risk damage to the bags. May have been under that a little, I didn’t note it down
I know there are certain limits but couldn't recall them, so had a search ....
This is the 2 page flyer for the semi-air system, which I think is what they call the rear air-bag system - https://www.vbairsuspension.com/upl...ary_air-suspension_v1.0_-_721155180720_LR.pdf
this is the generic manual for the system - https://www.vbairsuspension.com/upl...5000002EN03-EN User manual VB-SemiAir V03.pdf

Key numbers within that ....

Safety instructions

●The maximum air pressure in the air springs of a basic kit (when standing still or at speeds below 5 km/h) is 6 bar.
At speeds of more than 5 km/h, the maximum air pressure is 3.5 bar.
With a comfort kit, the maximum air pressure is always 3.5 bar.
If the automatic level control (VB-LevelAir) is fitted, the system itself keeps the required air pressure between 0.5 and max. 3.5 bar.

●Make sure that the air springs always have at least the minimum air pressure of 0.5 bar.
Without this air pressure, the auxiliary air suspension system may be damaged while driving.
If the automatic level control (VB-LevelAir) is fitted, the system itself controls the required air pressure.

●The air pressure of the left and right air springs must not differ by more than 0.5 bar.

Initially when I flipped through the book supplied with the kit, I read the max pressure of 6 Bar, but didn't notice the DRIVING max pressure is much lower at 3.5 Bar.
In the images in the book, they have a gauge and they have it as green between 0-6 Bar and Red between 6 and 10 Bar.
I guess the idea is it is ok to full to up to 6 Bar for levelling a vehicle when parked up? but would always have to remember to drop before driving off!

wildebus

Forum Member
Nearly done with the main Tweaking on the Motorhome :p:D:love:
  • Alloy Wheels (y)
  • Uprated Summer/Winter Tyres (y)
  • VB Semi-Air Suspension (y)
These three will let me uprate the Weight to 3850Kg

TPMS System that integrates to the Dash Radio (no need for seperate display :) ) (y)

Upgraded Leisure Battery Bank (400Ah Lithium/Lead Hybrid Bank) (y)

Victron EasyPlus 12/1600 Inverter/Charger (y)

Upgraded Leisure Battery Charging Capability (y)
  • 70A AC-DC (Mains) Charger
  • 60A DC-DC (B2B) Charger
  • Twin 20A PV Controllers
    • (270W Roof PV Array + Pair of 100W Portable PV Kits)
  • Programmable Starter Battery Maintainer
Slew of 12V and USB Charging Points (still got 2 specific ones to add in. Prob today for that). (y)

4G Router for full internet connectivity for Victron Venus OS system, security camera and In-Dash 'infotainment' system (y)

Victron Cerbo GX Monitoring System - allows full remote monitoring and configuration of electrics plus remote control of Fridge and Water Heater power. (y)

So Monty the Motorhome, as he is now named, is ready to hit the road.....

3️⃣ 2️⃣ 1️⃣ Go Go Go 🛣️

Clarence will still be remembered however when we go out ....
1622980446895.png

Still got a few bits & peices to do, but think he will be a comfortble place to enjoy time away in :cool:

Last edited:

Nabsim

Forum Member
Yours must be different bags to mine Dave, I know it’s a different company but didn’t know if it was just rebadged. Heres instructions for mine if anyone has AS rears

Attachments

• AS Air Suspension -Control panel operation.pdf
    477.1 KB · Views: 141

wildebus

Forum Member
Yours must be different bags to mine Dave, I know it’s a different company but didn’t know if it was just rebadged. Heres instructions for mine if anyone has AS rears
That is quite a difference, isn't it!
In principle, an air bellows is an air bellows so one saying 0.5 Bar minimum and another 3 Bar minimum is remarkable.

Assuming the respective instructions are right for both brands, it means it is very important for people to know what they have installed and not just go on suggestions from other people saying "I run at x Bar or y Bar"!
Mine came from VB Air Suspension and the instructions and boxes were labelled as such but my gauge set with the valves and switch are just like yours rather than the one in the VB guide.

Nabsim

Forum Member
I spoke with them at AS year before last to check what I should be set at and the woman checked on my reg number and said they had been fitted 12 years. They were very nice and sent me the instructions I posted earlier, maybe not as many doing them back then I don’t know. It does show you should check with your manufacturer/supplier though as you say 👍

wildebus

Forum Member
I spoke with them at AS year before last to check what I should be set at and the woman checked on my reg number and said they had been fitted 12 years. They were very nice and sent me the instructions I posted earlier, maybe not as many doing them back then I don’t know. It does show you should check with your manufacturer/supplier though as you say 👍
I think I will call VB on Monday just to make sure the numbers in the manual are right (I'll also check my printed version).
I can understand a difference but that is a big difference. Could be a typo on one or the other? (Already need to call Autotrail on Monday as there is what I think a typo in their published 2008 Tech Specs which, sods law, only affects my specific model :( )

wildebus

Forum Member
I think I will call VB on Monday just to make sure the numbers in the manual are right (I'll also check my printed version).
I can understand a difference but that is a big difference. Could be a typo on one or the other? (Already need to call Autotrail on Monday as there is what I think a typo in their published 2008 Tech Specs which, sods law, only affects my specific model :( )
I had a look at the printed guide I got with the kit....
It says the minimum is 0.5 Bar and the maximum is 6 Bar, like the on-line guide, but it doesn't mention that for when driving the maximum is 3.5 Bar, not 6 Bar.

Last edited:

Nabsim

Forum Member
I seem to remember when I spoke to them they mentioned stayin at or above 2.5 bar. I don’t know if other things related to vehicle make/weight may cause variations. Mine must be nearly 14 years in situ now so it worked okay for my setup 👍

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)