vw lt31 self build

Doodles

Thought i should move the thread here as will be updating with pics of progress.Should have some soon as main part of L shaped bed/sofa finished so will be going in later.

Doodles

View attachment 8189 The van front
View attachment 8190 The van side
View attachment 8191 The annoying heater box that only works with engine on so will be removed
View attachment 8192 The inside with annoying black spray paint on windows (now removed) also annoying metal runners imbedded in the floor with titanium like screws (now removed)
View attachment 8193 The drivers seat little view of overhead storage cab
View attachment 8194 The skylight which you can see new wood put in with insulation underneath
View attachment 8195 A rusty wheel will sort these at end of build ;)

gaz2676

cool van man ....there seems to be a strange figure in white in some pics is that a ghost and a mystery for you kids to solve ........oooohahahahaha

Doodles

So long part of bed/sofa in it will make an L shape along left side of van over wheel arch.

WARNING!!! do not go cutting through heaters inside your van willy nilly i just did thinking the copper pipes where for air but no it was fluid and started pouring out :( but sorted now re-routed it back in again but wont be getting switched on ever again :)

View attachment 8197

mark61

Forum Member
Fine looking van, going to make a great camper.

Just an idea, but I weighed a lot of materials, or used weights quoted on builders merchant receipts, just helps a bit to keep a rough idea as you go along. Well it did help until I lost the bit of paper I was keeping notes on. lol ;)

Doodles

Fine looking van, going to make a great camper.

Just an idea, but I weighed a lot of materials, or used weights quoted on builders merchant receipts, just helps a bit to keep a rough idea as you go along. Well it did help until I lost the bit of paper I was keeping notes on. lol ;)

Im using CLS timber which is extremely light weight but equally as strong.Keeping a very close eye on the weight as well as the balance of everything too :)

FULL TIMER

So long part of bed/sofa in it will make an L shape along left side of van over wheel arch.

WARNING!!! do not go cutting through heaters inside your van willy nilly i just did thinking the copper pipes where for air but no it was fluid and started pouring out :( but sorted now re-routed it back in again but wont be getting switched on ever again :)

View attachment 8197

Well done for taking on a self build it is mighty satisfying to know you have built your own motorhome, just to let you know that you can easily do away with that heater, all it is is a small radiator with a fan behind it, it uses the engine coolant to provide the heat, just follow the pipes back to the engine where I'am sure you will find they will change from copper to rubber somewhere along the line, these are usually connected to where one of the rubber hoses connects to the cab heater you might be lucky and find that you can just dissconect the two pipes leading to your unwanted heater and reconnect the pipe that was cut possibly making use of a bit of the copper pipe and a couple of jubilee clips, at worst you could also do away with the unwanted heater and join the two pipes leading to it. Don't forget if you have lost any fluid check your engine coolant level before starting your engine.

Deleted member 951

See you tomorrow Will, Do you need any more CLS? Looks like 3x2 you are using, I can bring you a couple of lengths from the unit (or 4x2).

lotusanne

Will, just wondering, I know you will have thought about it, but are you Ok with blocking of rear door entry to van with bed settee?

Doodles

Will, just wondering, I know you will have thought about it, but are you Ok with blocking of rear door entry to van with bed settee?

Hi yes im fine with it as on a nice day can open them up and sit with my arm rested on back with a nice glass of vino :)

Doodles

View attachment 8217 As you can see on left hand side that is the main L part of bed the bit on right was to box in the wheel arch.What it will do now is serve as another small seat and will actually have a fold out section that will go onto a runner to make up rest of the bed :)

john cardiff

Well John is glued to this thread..

Going to be keeping up with the updates on this nice work Will.

G&J

oldish hippy

Forum Member
could you not make a center piece that slide in to fit across the rear doors to give you a walk through so just slide out in summer and turn round to give you a ushape looking out through the rear doors

Doodles

could you not make a center piece that slide in to fit across the rear doors to give you a walk through so just slide out in summer and turn round to give you a ushape looking out through the rear doors

The height of access through rear doors is pretty high as used to have a lift on it.So apart from building steps to carry with me to get in it would never get used as access anyway.The door on side will work fine as an access in and out of the van.

Apache Two

Hi Will.
I see you have changed your floor plan already...
What happened to the rear wet room?????:banana::cool1:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)