Thistle - Ex Ambulance to...... well hopefully something else

I have so greatly enjoyed reading thoroughly through your postings to date most especially your former interest in the MG mark as I own a low mileage, loved and pampered 'F'.

There is one matter I picked up on and which I was happy to read that @trevskoda did as well, namely your use of Hammerite! As you are now the proud owner of what is very widely known as being a superb mechanically van, all bolted together inside something that has a liking to dissolve in front of your eyes....... As such, it might be very worth your while to quite literally flood the lower half insides of all the doors and all internal sills with a decent, high quality treatment as well as the entire underside, of course after cleaning it back first of all.
Whereas in my Land Rover Series and Defender days I always used Waxoyl, these days I use Bilt Hamber which isn't cheap but very very good.

On a totally different matter, as you are such a very highly trained/skilled expert with regards to the black art of electricity, might you be able to give some thought to drawing/writing up some easy to follow wiring diagrams?
I only ask this as in times gone by on the SBMCC forum we were so very fortunate to have an utterly brilliant, but sadly departed member whose name escapes me (he lived in France) who drew up a series of basic wiring diagrams, they were of enormous help to me and quite litereally hundreds of other similarly inept numpties!

All the best

Phil

Yes a wiring dia on basics part block units would help,say one for charging either from smart alt or old type to service batterys,then one on fused layout to usb plugs and lights, heaters toilet etc where folk could work on from to there own van requirements.

Hi - I don't know if you've come across the video below. It certainly opened my eyes as to the special challenges posed by converting an ambulance - electrics especially!

Clicky

(I like his other videos, too. He certainly uses his van.)

Enjoyed reading so far - keep it up.

Andy

@Millie Master thanks for the pointer to "Bilt Hamber" I have just been reading about some of their products and I suspect I will try some of their Dynax S50 etc.

@Misterg
Yes it was after watching and enjoying his exploits I decided it might not be such a bad idea to get my own Ambulance.
He also has a manic Sprinkles as well and although we now have Corgis I too have had three of those in the past and will have another before my time on this little rock is up!

Fortunately the electrics in mine (well to me anyway) looks a lot less complex than he inherited. Mine is all modular he appears to have a dedicated control chassis and PCBs in his.

I have already removed the crude split charge relay setup from my van and have bought a B2B charger.
I wanted one that had an MPPT as well and I was originally going for the Ctek DS250 but that has a very limited solar capability so I have bought a Ring RSCDC30 instead.

The frame work for my Carport is complete and it now stands at 11' high but I am now on hold awaiting delivery of some replacement corrugated sheets so instead I might spend some time experimenting with various variations of producing hot water via a test rig.

I used to have one for testing Webasto Thermo Tops a few years ago and hopefully I still have most of the bits in the garage loft.... somewhere

I have an Eperspacher D4 under the floor in the van already but I also have a D5W which via a matrix could do both blown air heating plus it can also heat domestic hot water.

That combined with the 30 litre Calorifier I have from a donor Narrow Boat plus being able to use a small solar thermal setup for the sunnier months instead of Diesel quite appeals to me.

However testing any form of solar thermal system at this time of year isn't going to be particularly successful!

Edina

Administrator
I have already removed the crude split charge relay setup from my van and have bought a B2B charger. I wanted one that had an MPPT as well and I was originally going for the Ctek DS250 but that has a very limited solar capability so I have bought a Ring RSCDC30 instead.[/QUOTE said:
I dumped my Sterling B2B because of ongoing faults and have now fitted a Ring RSCDC30 - great unit and easy to set the charging levels for different battery types (I have 2 Trojan T125s)

I am toying with the idea of buying a Thetford T1090
Unfortunately the Thetford web site for some obscure reason does not have a contact page as I am confused by part numbers.

I know there was a Mk1 and Mk2 T1090 but I can't fathom out why every retailer lists part number 691668SP yet Thetford themselves use 691751SP for the eye level version and 691750SP for the floor level however they then contradict themselves by also using 691668SP on the same pages

If I do decide on the T1090 I want to ensure I am buying the later revised eye level version.
Does anyone have any idea who I can contact to clarify this?

see
https://www.thetford-europe.com/gb/products/refrigerators/compressor/t1090-eye-level-0
and
https://www.thetford-europe.com/es/products/refrigerators/compressor/t1090-floor-level

Does anyone have any idea who I can contact to clarify this?
I bought a few items from Jackson Leisure and found them to be quite helpful and they are agents for Thetford https://www.thetfordfridges.co.uk/index.htm

Also Magnum Motorhomes sell them as well and their sales staff always seem to know what they are talking about https://magnummotorhomes.co.uk/product-category/fridges-vents/12v-compressor-fridges/

But, and I hope you don't mind me saying so............................ bloody hell you must have deep pockets as spending over £700 on a fridge can only mean you like cold beer and white wine ;)

Phil

@Millie Master

To be honest I have been quite appalled at prices for some motor home specific items Fridges, Awnings and Remus cab blinds to name just three.
Even relatively titchy fridges seem to be around £600+ i.e very similar to the T1090 price wise.

Swmbo wants something off the ground preferably eye level however on looking at the Waeco/Dometic range I notice a lot have sloping backs so perhaps we have more to choose from than I thought

We are going to the NEC show in February so will have a good look then.

Buy a 230v fridge and use a inverter of about 600w,a heck lot less money.
D o remember to have a good battery bank and solar to charge them up.

Happy bunny today
Numbers one and three sons helped put up the corrugated sheeting today (not a job one can do alone) on my carport so hopefully by tomorrow/Monday I will have it all finished and then I can move the van into it new home for the next 2-3 months

Thinks,,,,, having ripped out quite a lot of wiring excluding the wiring to a relay with the word 'ignition' on it I hope it starts............

@trevskoda

Is a domestic mains fridge a remotely practical proposition in a van?

I watched this with interest a while ago he was focusing on 12v v 240v in a narrow boat i.e something that typically isn't being shaken to bits on our wonderful roads!

@trevskoda

Is a domestic mains fridge a remotely practical proposition in a van?

I watched this with interest a while ago he was focusing on 12v v 240v in a narrow boat i.e something that typically isn't being shaken to bits on our wonderful roads!

It is remotely possible, yes.

https://www.wildebus.com/blog/products/a-home-fridge-in-a-campervan/

or you could read this thread for the whole boring story .... https://motorhomebuilder.com/threads/ac-fridge-in-campervan-power-consumption-test.62416/

Last edited:

Dave; I found your totally reasoned appraisal of fridges to be a very valued read. I have a WAECO CRX 50 fitted and whereas it is OK, but certainly not great, the cost of it alone would result in me never ever even thinking of buying another one!!

Phil

Dave; I found your totally reasoned appraisal of fridges to be a very valued read. I have a WAECO CRX 50 fitted and whereas it is OK, but certainly not great, the cost of it alone would result in me never ever even thinking of buying another one!!

Phil
Thanks Phil,
I am reworking my electrics currently as it happens, and once done will be posting an update - but this is for reasons unrelated to my Fridge Choice. There are two things (well actually more than two really but these are key) I would automatically without hesitation repeat if starting my conversion again - one is the MaxxAir Fan, and the other is fitting my 240V Fridge.
The only annoyance I have is too easy to knock the temp dial to max - I need to make some kind of shield for that before the "new season".

Thanks Phil,
The only annoyance I have is too easy to knock the temp dial to max - I need to make some kind of shield for that before the "new season".
Désolé mais je ne comprends pas...................

Désolé mais je ne comprends pas...................
shield? season? temp dial? :D
I have a rotary dial inside to set the temperature somewhere between OFF and MAX. it is very free-moving and as you pull say a bottle that is pushed up against it, it turns the dial so I need to get something in place to stop that happening really before start to use the van again a lot in the summer.

A touch of mastic at edge will stop it moving once set,easy to remove if required.

That sounds like a good idea. I have used a sharpie to mark where I want to reset it to for speed already.
Cheers Trev (y)
Using a Sharpie to mark where the dial sits! why did I not think of that, when I attach my van to electricity, I usually put the fridge (Waeco CR 50) on full to get it as cold as possible, then move it back to where I think I like it, sometimes my head hurts overthinking things.:unsure:

@wildebus
Thanks for the time & effort you put into your testing.

A few days ago there was a 93L Inventor on Ebay which is now sitting in my conservatory :)
It has a few dents in it but was advertised as new and only cost me£44 which I think is worth it for the purposes of the experiment.

My initial concerns are noise and longevity
You do not mention in your thread if the thing keeps you awake at night but I assume to date it has not gone boom whilst on and you are driving?

I am going to run mine in our bedroom for a few days to see how intrusive it is
My Inverter (which came with the Van) is a Sterling Power Quasi Sine wave 1800W job but the ECO mode of the Victron looks a really sensible idea.

Re the Inventor manual did you read the measurement for space around the fridge methinks they got MM and CM mixed up!