Thistle - Ex Ambulance to...... well hopefully something else

Red seat belts again!
After soaking for two days I have Red rather than grubby seat belts..... I am easily pleased :)

I have also ordered a cruise control retrofit kit which hopefully I can code with my VCDS but otherwise I will be making a visit to Lister's instead to get it done.

Post weekend update
Strip out continues although I only had Sunday available last weekend
As a preventative measure I removed some surface rust & applied white hammerite to various areas in the cab especially in the step areas under the plastic trims.
I removed the various lights and other fitting in the ceiling ahead of preparing to remove the overhead lockers next weekend.
We test fitted some chairs we intend to use in the lounge area
I refitted the now, much cleaner, seat belts

DSC_0260.JPG

Jes man dont tell me your a hammerite fan,its total sh-=4nt and when i had a anticorrosive biz you would have been hung by the spoolies for even saying the name,use zink rich two pack epoxy on bright steel.(y)
Just a few of my smaller jobs.
file#2117.jpg file#1002.jpg file#2111.jpg

Today has been a, I wonder what that does or where does that go day!
Basically the mysteries of Ambulance electrics.

I started by removing the auxiliary and engine batteries unfortunately some muppet fitted an AGM as the auxiliary and it probably has never been properly charged ever, it is only 18 months old but completely shot a shame really I could have used for my tractor.

The engine battery seems ok though.

I then removed the inverter and all the large cables between the Inverter & the Batteries plus all the related heavy duty cables and several inline Mega Fuses.

I then made a start of the spaghetti under the passenger seat

I have identified the Intellitec Battery Guard 2000 200A 12V unit which I will be relocating & keeping.
https://www.intellitecmv.com/collections/battery-guards/products/battery-guard-2000-200a-12v

And the headlight strobe controller which I will investigate tomorrow

Today I removed:
An Amber Valley AVSPC12 12v 200A Intelligent Split Charge Voltage Controlled Relay.
http://www.agmpartscomponents.co.uk...ligent-split-charge-voltage-controlled-relay/

A Wolf Elec WTM 3000 Intercom as shown here and that site includes a handy wiring diagram just in case I ever decide to reuse it.
http://www.whadusay.com/whadusay_2-way.html

An Adverc A1128-L 12-24 DC to DC Charger which was used to charge the Stretcher
https://adverc.co.uk/products/dc-dc-chargers

A Whelen Alpha 12X Siren Amplifier so for a bit of fun:
A nice bit of fun, but if you were to use them in traffic, you might find you'll be parked while they all pull over to let the ambulance etc by, I'd take them off your hands if you pay the postage though :D :D :D

@Pudsey Bear
I am reasonably ok with the odd bit of wood, time will tell if that translates to this project though ;)
The van has 86,000 on the clock, and yep I had forgotten to add a signature to my profile.
A Ryoba japanese saw is a good addition to the tool kit, it has rip teeth on one side and crosscut teeth on the other, I would often use that in preference to my track plunge saw, which is invaluable when cutting the lightweight board, and dirt cheap now, sub £200, and can be resold once the van is done, a good compound mitre saw is worth having too, and make yourself a big square as a level is as much use as a chocolate fire guard in a van, three lengths of wood, three foot, four foot, and five foot, is all you need to make the triangle which gives the perfect square.

Attachments

@Pudsey Bear

I have several framing & squares like yours always very handy.
I have never tried a Japanese saw however I am impressed by how the Samurai Carpenter on You tube uses his.
For a ten minute bit of de-stressing enjoy this:

Getting things straight in my vans going to be quite easy I may even put it up on stands and get the floor relatively level for starters.

By comparison the floors I had in my previous 300 year old oak framed house was a very different story they were all over the place :)

From a van perspective not much to report - mostly buying stuff to go at roof level, Uni-strut system, vents, awning mount, TV aerial, Solar PV, cameras, lights etc i.e all the stuff I may need to cut holes for.

I have also bought some acro props and a much needed scaffold tower so I can safely raise the roof of my carport and that exercise begins 8th December and will probably take a week or two weather permitting.

Once I have the van undercover and up on stands I can make a proper start.

Edina

Administrator
From a van perspective not much to report - mostly buying stuff to go at roof level, Uni-strut system, vents, awning mount, TV aerial, Solar PV, cameras, lights etc i.e all the stuff I may need to cut holes for.

I have also bought some acro props and a much needed scaffold tower so I can safely raise the roof of my carport and that exercise begins 8th December and will probably take a week or two weather permitting.

Once I have the van undercover and up on stands I can make a proper start.
Not much to report!! Sounds as though you've got things well on the way. Good luck with the roof work, that's the job I like least, but you have the benefit of a blank canvas.

You should wait for Aldi/Lidl to get some japanese saws in, they are so easy to work, master carpenters are using them for some jobs as they are so accurate, even in inexperienced hands due to the level of control you get when pulling.

It take time to sort a van out if working yourself,a big warm w/shop with lots of tools and money and nothing else to do then things would be faster,esp if you just slept & worked 24/7 in w/shop.

Edina

Administrator
A workshop with a shallow pit that you could drive the van into would be ideal for me, if it made the floors of the van and workshop the same level.

Today much fun in the van having a battle with double sided tape, and a note on water Ingres!

Aghhhhhhhhh
Today I started removing the lower pvc paneling to get back to the metal work.
I have encountered the stickiest, grippiest most tenacious form of double sided tape I have ever known, very impressive!
It took a fair while to remove all the plastic but underneath there was more a lot more stuff to investigate

For example behind the paneling originally housing the mains sockets was a large sheet of 5mm aluminium about 4' x 3'
behind that was another sheet of PVC, still with its pink protective coating on, and behind that a 4' x 3' sheet of 1" ply all screwed into 4" x 1" battens & all sandwiched together with more double sided tape.

It was much fun getting it stripped out, fortunately the near side was easier because of the windows

Water Ingres
whilst removing the token efforts of itchy loft insulation they had occasionally lobbed in the side of the van I noticed some water marks
quite a few of the plastic inserts holding on the black side protection mouldings leak some significantly judging by the amount of dirt in there.
No rust though!

So another thing on my to do list will be remove them all and refit with some sealant.
I

@Edina
I have not got to the bare roof yet still stripping out the lockers.
One of the downsides (if you can call it that) of doing an Ambulance is a heck of a lot of undoing is involved first.

@Edina
I have not got to the bare roof yet still stripping out the lockers.
One of the downsides (if you can call it that) of doing an Ambulance is a heck of a lot of undoing is involved first.
Yes i had to strip out the guts of my bus as the chap i bought it of made a complete bol-x of it glueing and boarding over the factory carpets never mind drilling holes in roof / walls etc,Mr black & decker.