OMG - NOT ANOTHER Solar panel question !! ??

Nabsim

Forum Member
Still at £25 or above looking around interweb

I would advise you contact Sika yourself as they may now advise differently or may have a different product, if you want to just glue like I have. There are probably other manufacturers as well, not sure what 3M have, years ago we used to stick bodywork on with Tigerseal as well but cant remember what spec it was.

• Thank You
Reactions: RAW

wildebus

Forum Member
I used 3M VHB Tape. better then adhesives. cleaner and much easier and cleaner to remove if you need to later. (not a cheap option though!)

• Thank You

wildebus

Forum Member
This type LINK. Lots of other suppliers
They are generically known as "Z Brackets" or "Renogy Z Brackets".
I used them on my panels and found Amazon to be the best value supplier - https://amzn.to/39P3heq - £7.99 inc VAT currently (but they are a price-volatile product for some reason).

Something to take note of, Robert ... the Sprinter roof has quite a curve on it and if you have a panel across from edge to edge, you need to raise the ends up a fair bit in order to clear the centre of the roof.

RAW

Forum Member
Something to take note of, Robert ... the Sprinter roof has quite a curve on it and if you have a panel across from edge to edge, you need to raise the ends up a fair bit in order to clear the centre of the roof.
Thanks, think it may be a big job to go down the full solar route and possibly be better to look at the rails idea as you have suggested before.
So probably best to start saving for that and possibly get a "cheap" second-hand generator in the interim to keep Leisure Batteries topped up whilst off the grid and wild camping. Don't particularly want to invest loads into the new merc until I have decided whether she's for me.

Nabsim

Forum Member
While I have nothing against generators and use one every couple of days this time of year you may still be able to meet your needs with solar. I have seen a lot of fulltime folks in vans with just a loose solar panel and leads going to controller/battery bank. It will all depend if you are okay leaning a panel against your van where you park. We know tilted to the sun is much more effective this time of year and as days are getting longer you may be okay.

RAW

Forum Member
While I have nothing against generators and use one every couple of days this time of year you may still be able to meet your needs with solar. I have seen a lot of fulltime folks in vans with just a loose solar panel and leads going to controller/battery bank
I have considered that as well, my concern would be security though. As a test I have ordered one of these for the Dash and / or outside to see what sort of output I get with the Merc out and about

Nabsim

Forum Member
I used to have a small panel, a lot smaller than that one 10W i think, that I used to leave on my sidecar roof to keep the bike battery topped up. It worked okay until one very windy day when I forgot to take it in. Never did find the panel lol

• Funny

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)