Not a Self-build, but a Tweaker

wildebus

Forum Member
Interesting, what current does it take alarmed and on standby?
Ok, got the numbers now :)

Constant Load in normal mode (same for Armed or Unarmed)

Siren/Control Unit Load
by David, on Flickr

Max Load when Siren going

Siren Active
by David, on Flickr
Current goes up and down as the siren warbles away.

So normal power use is around 1.2Wh/Hr. Say there is a bit of loss in the 12V-USB adapter and call it 1.5Wh/Hr = 36Wh/Day or approx 3Ah/Day

wildebus

Forum Member
I looked at the different options of USB sockets as I wanted to get a Quick Charge version and came across the one above with a voltmeter, with the value represented by segments. Looks a little different and thinking it might be quite good for just glancing across to tell the voltage rather then reading a display (as an aside, seeing the voltage can be handy when driving as it can help tell you what the leisure battery is up to. When the B2B is running at a high current, the load on the alternator causes it to stay low, then as the B2B drops back and the load reduces, you see the voltage going back up above 14V. the actual numbers depend on alternator and B2B size, so impossible to quote numbers for any specific vehicle, but you would get to know what they are for your own).
Ref the point above, I think the following might be of interest ....

This is the Socket showing the voltage after I turned on the engine and it is idling:

Engine Idling, no B2B active
by David, on Flickr

B2B Active and charging Leisure Battery with 65A whilst idling:

Engine Idling, 60A B2B active
by David, on Flickr

wildebus

Forum Member
I fitted an Avtex TV a while back and have been considering the Avtex sound bar for it for a bit better sound, but they are a bit pricey so holding off on that.
I am also a bit of an Amazon Alexa fan and use the echos quote extensively at home and in the Motorhome as well. I use an Echo Dot 3rd Gen in the Motorhome (https://amzn.to/3B56qDH) and there was a recent offer on them for £22 instead of the current £40, so picked up another one and installed in opposite the first one.

The useful thing of having two identical Echos is that you can set them up as Stereo Speakers

Alexa - Stereo Pair by David, on Flickr

And not only that, but if you have a Amazon Firestick, you can actually create a Home Cinema sound system

Alexa - Home Cinema by David, on Flickr

Inevitably, I have a Firestick on the Avtex :) And I used a 4K Firestick which includes the Volume Control on the remote. Annoyingly you cannot use the volume on the Avtex TV itself, but it works great on the Home Cinema configuration

Alexa - Cinema by David, on Flickr

Obviously the Home Cinema part only works when using the Firestick, so not as 'featured' as the Soundbar would be for the TV, but at £20 a lot better value :D And this also give me Stereo Sound of course when just listening to music on the Echos (and I have to say the pair of Echos is definately more than the sum of their parts in Stereo mode - much more 'immersive').

PeteS

Forum Member
Ok, got the numbers now :)

So normal power use is around 1.2Wh/Hr. Say there is a bit of loss in the 12V-USB adapter and call it 1.5Wh/Hr = 36Wh/Day or approx 3Ah/Day
Thanks for answering that, looks interesting, I've succumbed to buying one to have a play, having been broken into once already while we were asleep it may give my other half more piece of mind.

MarkJ

Forum Member
You might also be interested in this:

A different approach to security, and serves a different purpose, but if you already have mifi in the van it's very cheap.

wildebus

Forum Member
You might also be interested in this:

A different approach to security, and serves a different purpose, but if you already have mifi in the van it's very cheap.
Having a Camera is a good idea (y)
I did actually fit one shortly after I got the new Motorhome. Went for this jobby - https://amzn.to/3b5SZsD .
I find it works well and the night time view is good as well. Similar to an alarm, can arm or disarm it and when armed and motion detected, you get an alert on your phone.
Linked into Alexa and to see the van I can either run the app directly from the phone or say "Alexa, show me Montys Camera" and I see the inside in real time (and can talk to the van via it ..." Oi, scrote. get out my van!" (or "I say, please vacate the premises" if you prefer))
Screenshot_20211025-124251 by David, on Flickr

I think having the combination of the Alarm System and the Camera is very good :D

wildebus

Forum Member
Bit of an update on this Alarm
Earlier this week (Wednesday to be exact), I decided on an AGS Home system. Chose this as it is all battery powered apart from the Alarm Siren, and apart from the internal 8 hour battery backup it is powered via a USB cable, so ideal for a Campervan or Motorhome. It also can be controlled via your phone via an internet connection.

Overall, this kind of alarm setup for £45 without the optional extras, or £80 including the entry keypad and a pair of motion sensors I think is good value for money. Early days and there are some features that I don't really like (get a beep to tell you a door is opened for example even when the alarm is not set) but overall and even with the bits I don't like, I think it will be a very good and inexpensive intelligent system.
Checking this out today the alarm didn't seem to be getting setup correctly and repeating the installation process with careful attention to a specific part in the manual, I found I needed to pair the sensors in a particular way rather than having the system automatically pick them up.
This got the alarm working as it should PLUS I no longer get the beeping from a sensor that is not active in the mode the alarm is set at, which is a major benefit.
So what started today as a bit of annoyance ended up with a bit of a result :)

wildebus

Forum Member
Bit more of an update on the Alarm ....

Decided to check out the schedule feature. This lets you set the alarm to a selected state without you remembering to do it yourself (Handy for someone with a memory like a ... what is the phrase? I've forgotten :( )

So decided to setup a few schedules up last night .... various random settings.

Alarm Scheduling by David, on Flickr

These were configured as one offs, but you can chose the days when to run.

Checked the history log this morning and all seems to have worked.

Not sure why the Disarm and the Home gets seemingly duplicated? The key thing is the chosen state gets set, of course.

You also get a notification on your phone that the alarm has taken the schedule request and applied it.

So all looks very handy :D

Setup three 'proper' shedules now which I can enable when appropriate ....

So when not in use for camping and generally at home, I would enable the "Driveway Schedule", setting the alarm to 'AWAY' (which enables the motion sensors) at 10PM.
So if I am going in the van during the day and I open the door, I get the usual beep-beep-beep to remind me to disarm within the allowed time. But I don't have to remember to set the alarm for overnight.
If I am away in the van, I set the "Camping Overnight" schedules, which sets the Alarm to 'HOME' mode at midnight and disarms again at 7AM. Home Mode sets the perimeter sensors but not the motion sensors, so basically protection against intruders opening doors or lockers whilst asleep.
(PS. just noticed I didn't update the days on the 'DISARMED' schedule :( It is very easy to edit the days though, so no problem to fix ;) )

Note that this Scheduling function relies on the phone sending a command to the alarm system at the appropriate times, so unlike the basic alarm functionality it does rely on the phone having internet access and the alarm system ditto. The confirmation message you get back to say the alarm has changed state is very useful to know the message has been sent and received successfully.

Last edited:
Reactions: DnK

wildebus

Forum Member
Ref above post about Alarm and Scheduling .... working well (y) I am liking this alarm kit. I am tempted to get another one actually to cover the various sheds/workshops around the garden as have no visibility of them when in the house.

Anyhoos .... On a misson to try and keep the cream coloured fitted carpet clean (very practical for a motorhome!) I put mats down but they are always sliding around like mats do on carpet :(
So trying this oversized jobby now

Motorhome Mat
by David, on Flickr
One of those "Magic mats" or whatever they are called that are really good at trapping the dirt, and just slightly trimmed to fit the floor width with little notches cut out at the cab end which will hopefully keep in nicely in place 🤞

wildebus

Forum Member
Well, the mat moves around :( should have expected it. I really need to get some made-to-measure rugs made up.
I'm now trying some duct tape on the edge of the mat, and taped down to the floor by the cab underneath another original mat. Better but not 100%.

I did have a conversation with a company that removes the old carpet and makes made-to-measure loose carpet sets 'while you wait', coming to your house and doing it all on the same day.
I can't recall their name (I can look it up if anyone is interested) but the price I thought was very reasonable. Didn't "pull the trigger" on that as it coincided with my fridge playing up (which could have been a £1200 replacement potentially) and a upcoming expensive timing belt change, so decided to keep hold of the funds! I have also spoken to a company called "Harrison Trim" who make bespoke mats (and I have dealt with them in the past and had nothing but good results) and I could make a complete floor template, marking where I want separate pieces, and they could make a full set but I keep the original carpet in place, so that is another option.

wildebus

Forum Member
I fitted an Avtex TV a while back and have been considering the Avtex sound bar for it for a bit better sound, but they are a bit pricey so holding off on that.
I am also a bit of an Amazon Alexa fan and use the echos quote extensively at home and in the Motorhome as well. I use an Echo Dot 3rd Gen in the Motorhome (https://amzn.to/3B56qDH) and there was a recent offer on them for £22 instead of the current £40, so picked up another one and installed in opposite the first one.

The useful thing of having two identical Echos is that you can set them up as Stereo Speakers

Alexa - Stereo Pair by David, on Flickr

And not only that, but if you have a Amazon Firestick, you can actually create a Home Cinema sound system

Alexa - Home Cinema by David, on Flickr

Inevitably, I have a Firestick on the Avtex :) And I used a 4K Firestick which includes the Volume Control on the remote. Annoyingly you cannot use the volume on the Avtex TV itself, but it works great on the Home Cinema configuration

Alexa - Cinema by David, on Flickr

Obviously the Home Cinema part only works when using the Firestick, so not as 'featured' as the Soundbar would be for the TV, but at £20 a lot better value :D And this also give me Stereo Sound of course when just listening to music on the Echos (and I have to say the pair of Echos is definately more than the sum of their parts in Stereo mode - much more 'immersive').
Ref the above ... One of Amazons "Black Friday" deals is a two-for-one offer on the Echo Dots (this is what I am using in the Motorhome for the Home Cinema Setup). They are neat items anyway, so getting a BOGOF is handy if you wanted a stereo config.
Link to the Amazon page is here - Buy 2 Echo Dot for the price of 1 with promo code “ECHODOT2FOR1” (remember to check the T&Cs of how to order to get the deal. nothing tricky in it, just don't buy using 1-click and stuff like that as you have to be able to put the code in)

st3v3

Forum Member
I have a couple of spare Amazon echo's of different types if anyone wants any. I have 2nd generation, 3rd generation dots and the speaker one.

PM me if you'd like anything :)

wildebus

Forum Member
Did a little operational change today in the TV area ...

I bought this bracket back in 2016 for my T5 conversion - https://amzn.to/2YB9nhW
It is a good strong bracket and pretty adaptable (I've used it fitted onto a Head Restraint pole as well as wall mounted) but it has always had one annoying feature - it has not been possible to secure the VESA mount securely enough to keep it totally level. Tried packers and the like which improved things but I have got annoyed with every time I use the TV having to twist the TV level. Not a major thing, but it started to really bug me :(

Looking at various alternatives, I plumped for this one - https://amzn.to/31IihLI
Very heavy duty (designed for upto 55" TVs).

Mount
by David, on Flickr
This should be more than enough for a 24" TV, even in a motorhome!

Like the previous mount it has the key feature of being able to extend and swivel, but unlike the previous one the connection to the VESA mount is via 4 hefty screws and not a single central nut and bolt with nothing to stop it turning.
TV when Parked (forgot to use the flash I think?)

TV Parked
by David, on Flickr

And swivelled to say watch from kitchen

TV Swiveled
by David, on Flickr

wildebus

Forum Member
Well, the mat moves around :( should have expected it. I really need to get some made-to-measure rugs made up.
I'm now trying some duct tape on the edge of the mat, and taped down to the floor by the cab underneath another original mat. Better but not 100%.
Duct tape method was unsuccessful :( So just tried another option which was a touch more technical :)
Fitted some press-studs to the mat and screwed the corresponding other part (I don't know what this part is actually called ;) ) into the floor

Mat by David, on Flickr

End is still tucked away under the original mat between cab and living area, which is handy

Mat by David, on Flickr
Have to see how this method works :)

While I was doing this, I had the heater on with the fan to distribute the heat around through the venting ducting, but I noticed there was not a lot of heat coming out despite being on pretty high :unsure:
Opened up the little door to have a look behind the heater (I don't know about other brands, but the access to the rear of the heater on mine is pretty good) and I found the duct was dislodged from the fan outlet! not sure how long it is been like that? it is not an area which I access for any kind of storage use so wouldn't have disturbed it, although I did take the front cover off a little way to clean it but can't imagine how that could have pushed it off.
Anyway, refitted now and all looking good

Heater Rear by David, on Flickr
Tried the heater out again and venting looking good :D although I did note that of the two vents under the Front bench, the one furthest from the heater is pretty weak when the other vent is open. However that vent is REALLY effective though so no problem in having it closed a bit :)
Maybe something to check yourself if your heating vents seem a bit ineffective?

Markd

Forum Member
I expect a 'professional' was doing something in a rush and dislodged the pipe.
You get used to what you have and unless you've been in another of the same you don't know how it should be.
My old Bessacarr really belts the heat out all over the van in 'top gear' rated output is 6kw.
Even in a big van this soon gets it pretty warm and it pretty quickly drops down to 2kw.
They've thought about the ducting and there's a dedicated tube for the wash-room which is lovely on a cold morning 😀
Glad to hear that you've got it sorted.

wildebus

Forum Member
I expect a 'professional' was doing something in a rush and dislodged the pipe.
You get used to what you have and unless you've been in another of the same you don't know how it should be.
My old Bessacarr really belts the heat out all over the van in 'top gear' rated output is 6kw.
Even in a big van this soon gets it pretty warm and it pretty quickly drops down to 2kw.
They've thought about the ducting and there's a dedicated tube for the wash-room which is lovely on a cold morning 😀
Glad to hear that you've got it sorted.
yup, not had a van with a distributed heater system before so as you say, never noticed. there was some air pushed into the vent even though mostly away as the duct was hanging on by a screw as the bathroom did warm up.
I think this explains why the little top above the heater was getting so hot with the heater on as all the heat when into the rear cupboard.

Not sure what the output is on gas, but I can certainly run it on Gas, on Electric or a combination of both, and when I was checking it I had it running on full beans ... 2kW Electric and #10 on the gas, so maybe 5kW total? have to go and check now :D

UPDATE: 3.5kW on Gas, so 5.5kW total. that will warm up a 6.3M motorhome quite quickly!

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Now you have shown a closer shot of your mats, I see they are the same ones as in Murky.
I like the idea of the studs, I was planning on doing that for the drivers mat in Betty.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)