Let the Fun Begin... Citroen Relay Conversion

linkshouse

Forum Member
If you have spent enough time very thoroughly designing/planning your layout, right down to the finite mm. then, for me at least, just as soon as you have cut the first window aperture, then for me at least, the knees stopped knocking!

Phil
I agree completely.

I approached the first window with more than a little trepidation "oh oh, there's no turning back now...". :eek:

As it turned out it when really smoothly and probably less than an hour later I was taking photos of my new window and patting myself on the back. From there I went on to do the toilet cassette door and the second window which of course also all went smoothly.

And with that all behind me, it's all just "house fitting" ;)

wildebus

Forum Member
I'd have agreed to this if it is only used in the UK. On some of our European trips the fridge did struggle and spent too much time on. Fitting vents and then later a fan solved this.
external vents?
but anyway, you are talking about improving efficiency by adding vents. You don't improve efficiency by adding vents to a gas fridge, you stop it killing you - a slight difference.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
You don't improve efficiency by adding vents to a gas fridge, you stop it killing you - a slight difference.
Yes I forgot you need to exhaust the combustion gases outside. Though even on an absorption fridge the cooler you can get the radiator the better it works.

linkshouse

Forum Member
external vents?
but anyway, you are talking about improving efficiency by adding vents. You don't improve efficiency by adding vents to a gas fridge, you stop it killing you - a slight difference.
The combustion exhaust and the heater/cooling should be vented through different vents when absorption fridges are fitted.

It is not uncommon for blanking plates to be fitted to the cooling vents during winter and some people do indeed fit additional cooling fans to increase the airflow across the cooling fins during summer.

But of course, your right that in all cases the combustion air vent should always remain clear.

My wife has never felt comfortable with the gas fridge on during the night which is why I'll be fitting a compressor fridge in the conversion.

Millie Master

Forum Member
Phill, did you do some panel beating when you repaired the dent or simply use filler?

Your workmanship is looking good, I particularly like the slide out table from the dresser unit.

Phil

linkshouse

Forum Member
Phill, did you do some panel beating when you repaired the dent or simply use filler?

Your workmanship is looking good, I particularly like the slide out table from the dresser unit.

Phil
We did some panel beating (pulling actually) and fixed in a new plate before filling.

Ha, ha, thank you for the kind comments about the workmanship, it definitely isn't fine joinery. I'd have to say we both favour function over form so, as long as it works we're happy. Most importantly the other half is happy with the results so I'm good!

The table is quite a neat idea and one that I robbed from a Swift caravan that we had in the past.

Regards

Phill

linkshouse

Forum Member
We got the diesel heater fitted and tested yesterday and although we haven't quite finished the bodywork repairs yet, as the decals had arrived, we couldn't resist fitting the rear door decal -

IMG_2860.jpeg

Millie Master

Forum Member
Phill, do you have any plans to get rid of that small dent in the otherwise immaculate O/S rear door?

Did you have any problems attaching that graphic? No matter how hard I try, whenever I have put any on I always get some small but noticeable trapped air bubbles which has seen me rip them off and throw them away!!

Looking really good, I bet you are grinning like a Cheshire cat...

Phil

linkshouse

Forum Member
Phill, do you have any plans to get rid of that small dent in the otherwise immaculate O/S rear door?

Did you have any problems attaching that graphic? No matter how hard I try, whenever I have put any on I always get some small but noticeable trapped air bubbles which has seen me rip them off and throw them away!!

Looking really good, I bet you are grinning like a Cheshire cat...

Phil
Ha ha, yes, funny how clearly it shows up on the photo, never noticed it till I took the photo! Gareth has a paintless dent pulling kit which should pull that out fine.

As for the graphic, it’s covered in tiny bubbles! I’m consoling myself with the thought that they’re not so obvious unless you’re close up. It was a quite windy day so we probably shouldn’t have done it but I’ve never been big on patience ;). Hopefully the side decals will go better.

linkshouse

Forum Member
When if fitted the toilet, it didn’t work. Oh well, I thought, one to come back to.

Oh my what an pantomime!

Pretty much everything else is done now, so it was time to sort it out.

Pulled the toilet out and checked for voltage at the supply terminals. Yep,12.6 volts there, so I thought it might be the micro-switch for the cassette. Manually operated that, no difference.

Hmm, must be something deeper? Pulled the toilet out and took it into the workshop. Checked all the connections etc. Did a continuity test at the supply terminal and sure enough operating the micro-switch and the flush gave me continuity. All good!

Put it back in the van - nothing!

Re-checked the supply all good!

Hmm, again.

Okay, back to the workshop and try actually running it - perhaps the pump is jammed!

Connected it to a 12v supply in the workshop, worked straight away!

Back to the van, connected up - nothing!

At this point I tried the judicious application of a few we’ll chosen expletives, but they made no difference!

Time for a tea break...

Then I had a thought, perhaps there was a high resistance connection. This would show 12v on the high impedance digital meter but would disappear as soon as there was any load.

Sure enough, checking the voltage there was 12.6v but as soon as the flush was operated it dropped to zero! I checked the terminations at the fuse box and they looked okay. I put a weight on the flush to keep it on and went back to the fuse box and checked the voltage at the terminals and sure enough 0v. Wiggled the fuse about and voila, success. Brand new fuse box and brand new fuses! Oh well, all fixed now.

Like I said, what a pantomime!

Sorry, longer story than I intended.

MarkJ

Forum Member
As for the graphic, it’s covered in tiny bubbles!
I made the mistake of putting a decal on the back of mine when we were parked up on a CMC campsite. Several people walking past suggested it wasn’t level and one kindly enquired how I planned to get “all those bubbles” out.

linkshouse

Forum Member
I made the mistake of putting a decal on the back of mine when we were parked up on a CMC campsite. Several people walking past suggested it wasn’t level and one kindly enquired how I planned to get “all those bubbles” out.
Oh my, I can imagine that you got lots "welcome" advice!!!

linkshouse

Forum Member
I'm about done now, just added a couple of photos to my album.

All that's left now, barring ongoing titivation in use, is the side panel decals and the solar panel.

I'm just waiting for new brackets for the solar panel.

When I fitted the solar panel to the Hymer I used both Sikaflex and screws as I was never going to want to remove it and I didn't want it coming loose. Well, it sure wasn't coming loose!

In the end, the only way we could get it off the Hymer was to saw the plastic brackets in half and remove the panel with the half brackets still in place and then remove those in the workshop.

When the new brackets arrive I'll use the same approach to fitting the panel to the Citroen, after all I'm never going to want to remove it :rolleyes:

linkshouse

Forum Member
Now that the van is all done barring the bits in my last post we were planning a first little jaunt away. It was going to be in early April as Marlene had a hospital appointment in Aberdeen at the end of next week (couldn't do that in the van as we can't leave our dog in the van all day at the hospital, plus I'd struggle with the parking).

However, due to Covid19 the hospital have cancelled her appointment and told her to stay away.

So...

We were thinking that maybe we would use the ferry booking and get away in the van a bit earlier.

But...

The reason Marlene was going to the hospital in the first place was due to breathing difficulties so I'm not sure that going anywhere is such a good idea.

We would be heading to the Scottish Highlands so we would be well and truly isolated but there is still the ferries and we would inevitably be visiting some shops.

We/I'm champing at the bit to give the van a whirl but I'm thinking it might be a bit reckless.

Millie Master

Forum Member
Well I'm champing at the bit to give the van a whirl but I'm thinking it might be a bit reckless.

I honestly don't think it would be reckless Phill.

Unfortunately I have both coronary and respiratory problems which result in me not being able to enjoy a full and active life these days and if I were to contact Covid 19 it would no doubt be curtains for me............... However, we have just returned today from our first of what will be many trips away in 'Millie' this year and as far as I am concerned, we take all of our provisions with us and only ever go to remote, rural CL sites where we can walk in the fresh pure air, well away from anyone else in the company of our beloved four legged friends.

Surely as a tester trip there is no need to head over to the mainland, simply drive only a very limited few miles from home and park up on a remote spot, just you and your most beloved(s), with not a care in the world.

Phil

linkshouse

Forum Member
I honestly don't think it would be reckless Phill.

Unfortunately I have both coronary and respiratory problems which result in me not being able to enjoy a full and active life these days and if I were to contact Covid 19 it would no doubt be curtains for me............... However, we have just returned today from our first of what will be many trips away in 'Millie' this year and as far as I am concerned, we take all of our provisions with us and only ever go to remote, rural CL sites where we can walk in the fresh pure air, well away from anyone else in the company of our beloved four legged friends.

Surely as a tester trip there is no need to head over to the mainland, simply drive only a very limited few miles from home and park up on a remote spot, just you and your most beloved(s), with not a care in the world.

Phil
Phil, I don't know if you read the Wild Camping forum, we did get away over to Orkney Mainland, for a one-nighter in Kirkwall.

The problem with going for a trip on the island is - with an island just around 9.5 miles long and 4 miles wide even loving the van as we do camping within such a short distance from home would feel a bit silly. Plus, since pretty much everyone knows everyone on Westray, I sure within a few hours we'd have someone knocking on the door asking if we had broken down!

Finally, if we were to say oh sod it, we are going to have a night in the van even if the locals do think we've lost our marbles, probably the best place to wild camp would be on the links (OR Rackwick on the Wild Camping Map) the trouble for us with this spot is - it is where I walk Oscar daily as it is right next door to our house (in fact if you scroll to the right in the street view - our house is the first one that comes into view).

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)