Let the Fun Begin... Citroen Relay Conversion

linkshouse

Forum Member
I've got my base vehicle now, a 2013 Citroen Relay L3H2.

son-of-forrest.jpg

It needs a bit of tarting up here and there but it drives like a dream. Power steering is even lighter than my Volvo XC90 and cheese and chalk compared to the Hymer with no power steering. And... It goes up hills without having to change down to 2nd gear (worst case even 1st).

All I need now is this awful weather to change a bit as I have to work outside, unfortunately.

linkshouse

Forum Member
Good luck Phill
Thanks.

I can’t wait to get started. it was windy and wet today, tomorrow it’s set to be windy and wet, Friday, it’s set to be windy and wet, and so on, and so on...

I’m afraid that’s the price of living in Orkney!

That said, there are many compensations, and watching the news on events in Australia, the Philippines etc. In the scheme of things a bit of a delay in progressing my camper conversion is not so bad.

Phill

linkshouse

Forum Member
Happy days! The weather has finally changed and I've finally been able to make a start on my van conversion.

I have documented my progress so far more fully on my blog and started a gallery on here.

These are the main items I've managed to progress -
  • Removed pretty much everything from the Hymer
    • Hob and sink
    • Diesel heater
    • Leisure battery (on float charge in my workshop now)
    • Cassette toilet
    • Windows
    • Side step
    • Various other sundry bits and bobs
  • Fitted reversing camera to new van
  • Fitted Thule side step to new van
  • Swapped twin passenger seat for a single seat (from a VW Sharan)
  • Started fitting insulation (just filling voids at the moment)
I'll try and remember to post progress updates one here as well in future.

P.S. The new van has been named BFG by Marlene.

Millie Master

Forum Member
BFG that is a name and a half, what does it stand for?

Mine is 'Millie' rhyming with motorhome, my toy car is known as 'Madge' the MG and our daily driver is 'Bertie' the Beemer and last night my most beloved was given the new nickname of 'Silly Cow' after tripping over one of my dogs!!

Phil

RAW

Forum Member
Good luck with the build @linkshouse - Would like to look at building something myself but sadly living in a wet Yorkshire valley with the Van parked on a 30 Degree slope outside the house, sideways slope at that, which makes working on Sylvia hard and would make a build super hard. Need somewhere flat and don't know anyone with flat parking. The Parking charges are 80p per hour here if I were to take the Van into Town to work on !!

linkshouse

Forum Member
Good luck with the build @linkshouse - Would like to look at building something myself but sadly living in a wet Yorkshire valley with the Van parked on a 30 Degree slope outside the house, sideways slope at that, which makes working on Sylvia hard and would make a build super hard. Need somewhere flat and don't know anyone with flat parking. The Parking charges are 80p per hour here if I were to take the Van into Town to work on !!
Ha ha, don’t talk to me about wind and rain! I’m from Yorkshire (born and bred as they say) and I can assure you it doesn’t hold a light to Orkney in the wet and windy stakes!

I can see how slope my be a tad inconvenient though.

Millie Master

Forum Member
I feel fairly certain that if you approached a friendly farmer that you might just be able do your conversion in one of their barns, possibly an even better thought might be to approach one that offers caravan storage because it would be quite a bonus for them having someone there working away as it would act as a deterent for tea leaves! Worth a thought?

Sorry @linkshouse for using your thread for this reply.

Phil

linkshouse

Forum Member
I feel fairly certain that if you approached a friendly farmer that you might just be able do your conversion in one of their barns, possibly an even better thought might be to approach one that offers caravan storage because it would be quite a bonus for them having someone there working away as it would act as a deterent for tea leaves! Worth a thought?

Sorry @linkshouse for using your thread for this reply.

Phil
No worries.

Sounds like a good suggestion.

Phill

exwindsurfer

Forum Member
I've got my base vehicle now, a 2013 Citroen Relay L3H2.

View attachment 1938

It needs a bit of tarting up here and there but it drives like a dream. Power steering is even lighter than my Volvo XC90 and cheese and chalk compared to the Hymer with no power steering. And... It goes up hills without having to change down to 2nd gear (worst case even 1st).

All I need now is this awful weather to change a bit as I have to work outside, unfortunately.
You couldn’t have picked a better van they lend themselves to being a camper I done mine 7 years ago and it’s a great van .

wildebus

Forum Member
Might you consider one fuse per battery, rather than one for all three?
Having a separate fuse for each battery - and then a 'master fuse' for the full bank is nice way to configure a system (y)
Apart from enhanced safety, it also makes it very easy to periodically check and test individual batteries (which can otherwise be a PITA to do on a parallel battery setup).

I use the Victron Lynx Power Distribution Box for this

Fuses Fitted
by David, on Flickr
Each battery has a 125A Fuse for protection and there is an overall 500A Fuse for the full bank (max current draw is usally no more than 250A)

linkshouse

Forum Member
Whilst I can see the convenience of the Victon unit it is darned expensive. I know that you are all electric with a very "full" system so can maybe see the benefit in your case.

I only have a fridge and occasional toaster and microwave use in mind for our system.

I had something like this in mind -

Batteries.jpg

wildebus

Forum Member
That example above is nice and neat and cabled up perfectly for a three battery setup :)
One thing I would add within the box is the fuse between the +ve Post and Battery. Nicely out the way for the catastrophic fuse.

You are right about the cost of the Victron Lynx box - it is not cheap (but for the quality of the components, not too off the mark either). Because of the current I pull, I needed heavy busbars, but for your setup there is a nice and much lower-cost option that can give you individual fuse protection per battery if you so wished.

Midi Fusebox
by David, on Flickr
Instead on the various different devices coming in the top in the example above, and then fused before hitting the +ve busbar, you could have the batteries coming in there and the cable on the left would be the feed to/from the bank.
This essentially is identical to the Victron Lynx but at around the £30-ish mark. For a lower power-draw system, I would go for this as much more economical. The only downside is the Midi-Fuses stop at a lower current rating than the Mega-Fuses used in the Victron Lynx and the busbar is rated lower than on the Lynx (would make a difference in my setup, but wouldn't matter in yours I think?).
What this has also that the basic modified Lynx distribution box does not have is LED indication for Fuse Failure (for that you have to get a different Lynx box at an higher cost (the difference being equal to the price of two of these Midi-Fuse Distribution Boxes!).

Just another option for you.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)