Inverter help needed

Nabsim

Forum Member
I think that is either standard, or one of the standard plugs for mobility scooters, looks the same as mine. I got a 12v charger from a mobility store on Amazon but mine seems to charge a little quicker on the inverter

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
plug can take 10, maybe 15 amps max .
85 watt panel charges at 5 amps in summer

Problems x3 are100 ah battery. Ciggy thing small inverter Why only charge a less than 5 amp on 240volts

A Solutions a 24 volt 15 amp cheap lipo solar controller ? And wire that in. Or yours mite change over then it connected to 24v cart ! Now buy just switchs and wire.

Pudsey Bear

Forum Member
plug can take 10, maybe 15 amps max .
85 watt panel charges at 5 amps in summer

Problems x3 are100 ah battery. Ciggy thing small inverter Why only charge a less than 5 amp on 240volts

A Solutions a 24 volt 15 amp cheap lipo solar controller ? And wire that in. Or yours mite change over then it connected to 24v cart ! Now buy just switchs and wire.
Sorry most of that means nothing to a layman, who's old and thick on electrics.

I have various concerns about making changes to the standard setup:-

1, New batteries are mega expensive so I don't want to overcharge this one, the one linked somewhere that does it twice as fast might also kill the battery, I just don't know.

2, I just bought a new MPPT controller and had it fitted.

3, I'm no longer fit enough to mess about, and can't afford to pay someone to do what are quite basic jobs once you have the right parts, but they deserve to be paid the rate for the job.

4, I'm a great believer in the KISS principle.

5, as said dumb as a really dumb dumb thing on this subject :( :( so I am grateful for any suggestions, but I need to understand them, I am and always have been a monkey see monkey do person, reading a thing unless very simple (like me) just confounds me, I also have ADD which is not helping

Pudsey Bear

Forum Member
MR Wildebus mentioned about getting another battery from Aliexpress, while I'm away I'll pull the battery and take pictures and measurements and look into that.

Pudsey Bear

Forum Member
Getting the gear for a ramp this afto, just some folded metal brackets to hook over the hab door frame and some 100x25 rough sawn I already have to see if it helps with the inny outy bit.

Pudsey Bear

Forum Member
A 4A charger would be well within your inverter spec and around 2/3 of the rated spec of the dash power socket. BUT that assumes there's no gremlins in your set up. Throw a towel or some clothes over the inverter or charger or have dirty or loose (and hence high resistance) contacts in any part of the wiring and the maths don't mean jack 5hit. Like geek said hard wiring would eliminate the possibility of problems caused by a bad connection at that 180w power outlet.
I suppose it all depends on if you're risk averse you are 🤔. As long as the socket was dash mounted I'd personally make sure the plug and socket was nice and clean and free of tarnish and the plug felt nice, tight and positive and then get the swmbo to have a feel of the plug occasionally (oooh er missus) and take it from there. If the power socket is in the rear of the van then I probably would hard wire it instead.
Merl

The cost is fine on that, only concerned it might kill the scooter battery.

I am up to doing hard wire from the VB as it's a Ducato the VB is just in front of the passenger seat.

The plug is very tight in the dash socket, it has a quality plug on the Bestek inverter, so for now it will do.

Our lass will forget to waggle me plug, she's very risk-averse, she thinks I might get ideas above my station.

The is inverter essentially new so no rust or tarnish.

Merl

Forum Member
Hi, the spec you posted re the 2a mains charger states it's a charger for lithium batteries so at the moment I'm assuming you've got a lithium battery in your scooter, not a lead acid one.
Probably best to take a look at the battery and see if there's any spec on it re it's max charge current or search the net or call/email the scooter peeps.
2A isn't a lot mate, I'd guess you could go quite a lot higher but if you're risk averse 🫤check first!

Pudsey Bear

Forum Member
Hi, the spec you posted re the 2a mains charger states it's a charger for lithium batteries so at the moment I'm assuming you've got a lithium battery in your scooter, not a lead acid one.
Probably best to take a look at the battery and see if there's any spec on it re it's max charge current or search the net or call/email the scooter peeps.
2A isn't a lot mate, I'd guess you could go quite a lot higher but if you're risk averse 🫤check first!
Yes, it is Li-ion, I plan on taking pictures and dims of the battery when I first use it, impossible now as it's folded up so no access.

Not sure I'd get much info from them, Chinese.

Nabsim

Forum Member
You need to try it, I think it will do the job okay with what you have, it will depend how many hours you are driving to recharge though. What the range on the scooter with 10Ah battery, 10 or 12 miles? I can’t say how much mine used as I have always been a fairly big leccy user due to my fridge but if you bump up to a second battery it can only help. See how you go then see if you need to change anything, if you recharge in shops, bars whatever it will help as I said before

Pudsey Bear

Forum Member
My plan is to walk much as possible.

A question, will it be okay to charge it as and when or should I let it drain then charge, we normally drive 3 to 4 hours a day so I planned to charge it each time if I've used it.

Nabsim

Forum Member

A question, will it be okay to charge it as and when or should I let it drain then charge, we normally drive 3 to 4 hours a day so I planned to charge it each time if I've used it.
If I remember right li-ion is the one that suffers from memory, I can’t remember what ideal cycle is for them. For your usage though I would aim at charge whenever you can.

If it eases your mind you can fit any battery technology that will physically fit in the battery box, you may need a different charger or may not. Any two 12v battery’s would work, obviously lead acid would increase the weight

Pudsey Bear

Forum Member
Can't fit just anything on this, unfortunately, it fits in the floor under your feet and is very thin 25mm? has four contacts, We're off on our jollies in a bit just having breakfast & shower, I have just this morning made a couple of wooden ramps to help with getting it out and hopefully back in, I got a couple of 3mm brackets knocked up locally yesterday, we'll see the first time I use it.

Tara a bit.

Nabsim

Forum Member
Can't fit just anything on this, unfortunately, it fits in the floor under your feet and is very thin 25mm? has four contacts, We're off on our jollies in a bit just having breakfast & shower, I have just this morning made a couple of wooden ramps to help with getting it out and hopefully back in, I got a couple of 3mm brackets knocked up locally yesterday, we'll see the first time I use it.

Tara a bit.
Ah okay, it’s more like an escooter then maybe. Ignore previous post haha

I know on my escooter it’s li-on but removable (Riley R1) and you can carry spare batteries, new battery is just over £100 though so will keep within the 25k range ha ha

On the U.K. side, I bet your mobility scooter is lighter than mine, mine does break down into 5 bits but two of those are 13kg each, think around 35kg total

Nabsim

Forum Member
Jeez, mine is a conventional travel scooter and was only twice that brand new lol. When I needed new battery’s I got 2 x Lifepo4 for a hundred quid the pair. (one of my posts said 36v but it is 24v). Maybe look at modifying if possible if/when the day comes. Don’t forget if you are disabled you can get VAT exemption on scooters, battery’s and related charging equipment 👍

Merl

Forum Member

There's no issue with irregular discharge and charging of Li-ion batteries, so keep it topped up if convenient to ensure you've got max range next time you use it. Try not to let the battery drop below zero deg and certainly avoid charging at temps below freezing point. If you're long term storing then try and do so with the battery around 1/2 charged.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)