Home assemble LiFePo4

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
As a few have already I've jumped on the Chinese LiFePo4 boat. Though reading peoples complaints the Boat might have a small leak.

It seems they have been despatched early, but as yet no tracking details. I'll keep you all updated.

LiFePo4.jpg

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
As Betty is running a 24 volt habitation electrical system I will be assembling an eight cell battery, looked after by a 200 amp BMS.
At the moment I'm toying with what kind of links to use for making the battery. As the cells are prone to swell, more with aggressive use. (so I read) Some flexibility in the links would be good. Copper links with humps in would be the cheapest way to go, though not priced yet. Fabricated cable seem appealing, but 35mm sq is a hefty cable. Cable to buy, crimps and a crimping tool. I'm not going to solder that lot. Not so cheap if you have to buy everything in.
Other things to think about is do I heat them when cold?
How cold are they really going to get?
Would slowly charging them when cold warm them up, or just damage them.
Boxing them? Metal, wood or plastics ?
Prismatic cell compressing, is it really needed for gentle use. Or if you think you will be mistreating them, just buy more cells and be kinder?
I have software that can model stresses, but most of us know what will happen if you pressurise a rectangular box. Trying to prevent this deformation would require some hefty structure. Some studding and angle iron just won't do it.
At the moment I'm thinking about a pocketed box made from resin bonded ply, what a shame my wood working skills are shameful.
Pointed out to me by Wildebus for another project was seat heat pads, I wonder if their sizes would lend themselves to heating the bottom of the box? Two pads required in series as they would need to be 24 volts?

My take on this project is that there are easier options, but what the hell I like playing.

Nabsim

Forum Member
As Betty is running a 24 volt habitation electrical system I will be assembling an eight cell battery, looked after by a 200 amp BMS.
At the moment I'm toying with what kind of links to use for making the battery. As the cells are prone to swell, more with aggressive use. (so I read) Some flexibility in the links would be good. Copper links with humps in would be the cheapest way to go, though not priced yet. Fabricated cable seem appealing, but 35mm sq is a hefty cable. Cable to buy, crimps and a crimping tool. I'm not going to solder that lot. Not so cheap if you have to buy everything in.
Other things to think about is do I heat them when cold?
How cold are they really going to get?
Would slowly charging them when cold warm them up, or just damage them.
Boxing them? Metal, wood or plastics ?
Prismatic cell compressing, is it really needed for gentle use. Or if you think you will be mistreating them, just buy more cells and be kinder?
I have software that can model stresses, but most of us know what will happen if you pressurise a rectangular box. Trying to prevent this deformation would require some hefty structure. Some studding and angle iron just won't do it.
At the moment I'm thinking about a pocketed box made from resin bonded ply, what a shame my wood working skills are shameful.
Pointed out to me by Wildebus for another project was seat heat pads, I wonder if their sizes would lend themselves to heating the bottom of the box? Two pads required in series as they would need to be 24 volts?

My take on this project is that there are easier options, but what the hell I like playing.
I haven’t attempted to build a battery but have fitted Lifepo4 so have a little real life experience. The battery’s I fitted do not have any heating fitted at all. My battery’s are fitted inside my van under one of the bench sofas along with most of the electrics, (previous owner had moved them inside instead of external locker directly below). I haven’t really been anywhere much below -12 since I changed to Lifepo4 but that of course is the external temperature, not inside the van.
I set my eberspacher to come on when the temperature gets to 10 degrees, more for my arthritis than the battery’s but serves a dual purpose as things in a Moho should :)
My Votronic MPPT takes into account temperature before passing charge to the battery’s, it has Lifepo4 settings. I believe me secondary Victronic MPPT also does this, I feel sure I read that but please correct me if I am wrong as not double checked.
My engine charging is all done through a Votronic B2B which again has Lifepo4 charge profiles and takes into account battery temperature.
I am rarely on EHU but have the facility to plug my generator into the EHU socket to run my two Victron mains chargers. These have Lifepo4 settings but I can’t remember if they are temperature aware or not. I wasn’t concerned about that as for me mains charging is a manual process so I can chose when I do it.
My battery’s are okay for normal charging and discharging down to 5 degrees C, below 5 degrees you can still charge but at reduced rate down to 0 degrees C. You can continue to discharge safely down to either minus 20 or 40 degrees C. These are battery temperatures not external hence why I am unsure of minimum, I am never likely to be in them alive.
On the rare occasion where I am not in the van, it’s reached a trigger temperature and I want to charge I would simply run my diesel heater for an hour or two to raise the internal and battery temperature.

So, rather long winded I know but my take is it depends entirely of where you intend locating your battery’s and what use you expect from you vehicle. If mine weren’t inside I would be looking at some method of keeping them warm. I have been running Lifepo4 for some time now through all seasons in the U.K. and have not encountered any problems at all with battery temperature.

While deciding this don’t forget the upper temperature as well, if you intend visiting hot country’s you may need to look at cooling options.

wildebus

Forum Member
You will have a lot of cells packed together. A lot of mass to cool down - or to heat up!
I would say if the battery bank is located inside the body of the coach, and your BMS prevent charging below zero, you don't really need heating. What you could do maybe is run a little bit of ducting/pipe through the battery with some holes in it - like a irrigation hosepipe style - and if you have the need open the flap to direct some heat into the box? (If it is that cold, I am guessing you will have your heater on? :) )
You could do some insulation between each cell? help with heat retention and also if a cell expanded it would have somewhere softer to expand into?

Nabsim makes a series of very good observations, particulary around ability to still charge when very cold, albeit at a lesser rate. With the size of your future bank, even a big lithium array will never hit the to-cold-to-charge current thredshold and you can drop the Multiplus current rate if you wanted as well to make sure it was in a safe range in cold temps. The B2B side is something to consider still though.

Cable wise, the battery bank internally would be less than a metre of cable I am sure, and total of 7 interlinks for 8 cells? 14 connectors then. You are looking at under £15 in parts, so a drop in the ocean compared to the pack of cells.

If the Batteries are in an outside locker, I'd add heating pads.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Thank you for your input chaps. My intension is to use an underside locker. I really should take some measurements to see if they will really fit.
At the moment the locker is in a very sorry state due to dangerous tyres being used. The hole in the locker has been repaired, but will need cutting out to do properly. The underside lockers on Betty are all glass fibre constructions. It looks like they were attached to the body chassis before the floor was fitted. So I expect some major surgery will be required to remove the locker and find a new way to support it. The outer edge is supported by 25x25x3 MS angle. That's in a sorry state too. The last thing I want is for the batteries to escape. A plus side to this location is that above it inside the body runs a hot air pipe. I could Tee of this and divert some warm air into the box. Insulating this box might make sense too. Another plus for this location is that the engine start batteries are only a couple of metres away. As for Battery to Battery charging I think if I can get away with it, I'll just use a DC DC charger. I don't want to burn diesel to make electricity.

Derekoak

Forum Member
I am finally in Spain with my home assembled lithium batteries. 2 x 100 ah with 100amp daly bms's. So I can give some feedback on points that might help.
My little camper is small so the batteries are underslung in a home made 6mm polycarbonate box in a steel tray. I have 4 heat pads from China meant I think for a 3d printer they were sold as 12v 120mm x 120mm 120watt. My system is 12v but 120 watt is too much so the pads are 2 lots in parallel each of 2 in series which gives about 170 watt total for the 2 batteries. With my cells weight 14kg, 170 watt heats the batteries at 1 C every 2 minutes approx. The 4 pads are between each pair of cells each pad is built into an aluminium heat spreading case 4.5mm thick and the size of my cells. This necessitating making my own copper 1.5mm longer cell connectors. The pads were about 6£ each.
At the moment the heating only works 1) if it is colder than 5C 2) if the engine is running in other words I have not found a way to heat with my solar. I may never bother as when it is cold it nearly always means low solar output. But I am gathering data on that.
I am pleased with my split charging system using a victron li ct as suggested by Phil. My 120 amp alternator puts about 50 amps into the 2 batteries on idle and on 2000 rpm only about 1 amp difference and the reduction as the batteries charge is very slow about 40 amps the slowest I have seen until the bms upper voltage is reached.
If I trigger stop on one battery's charging mosfet the alternator seems smart enough to drop the charge to about half what it was.
This rate of charge is so much faster than my old agm battery and ring 30 amp b2b. As it was only about 10 minutes at 30 amp before it slowed down then went into adsorption for hours. The li ct was 78 £. Expensive for a relay but cheaper than even a 30 amp b2b.
I have tried to watch my fiat fuel consumption to see a difference between driving and 50 amp generation and just driving on the same straight level motorway at the same speed and can see no difference.
Even here in Spain the sun is low so I expect most charge to come from the alternator. I have not really left the camper in one spot without driving for long enough yet but when with 100% SOC I switched off the charging mosfets for 2 days the batteries only reduced to 65% so I am expecting a minimum of 5 days in one place with no solar and my normal consumption. So much better than a failing AGM.
I did top balance the cells but the bms's do a good job of balancing so it was a waste of time.
The only cell compression is heat shrink wrap. All the cells are stuck together with double sided tape to stop movement between cells, to separate them electrically and to be something squashy between in case of expansion. Charging at 0.25C (25 amp into 100amp capacity) is the roughest treatment they will get.
After hours of charging at this rate the batteries temperature was 5 C above ambient so much slower charging will not push them above ambient much at all!

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
The heat pads are 120w each or 30w if 500w would power used as a constant, warm batteries to keep temp above 35 / 0 for charging ?
Only thinking like, through the night in England or cold snap.
Your on to a winner keep posting over the winter , as no one has put that info out there.

What is the min amps to use so the battery self warms from use ?. = kettle waterheater via a inverter.
and at what percentage of batteries will it turn on ( your heat pads), if useage is 20% per day =4 days
Do you need to charge on first day of a cold snap if parked up?. On solar ( controller can turn off) and or b2b I know they start at different times. 240v = always. Solar as controlled , b2b is the problem I think !.as you don't need to warm up li-po untill you start the engine. Or befor ?

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
I'm still unsure about the use of heat pads. I may do some experiments to determine the thermal conductivity of the cells. I'm sure I remember on my last visit to Switzerland, a friend had to preheat his little BMW before he could take us out in it.

Derekoak

Forum Member
The heat pads are 120w each or 30w if 500w would power used as a constant, warm batteries to keep temp above 35 / 0 for charging ?
Only thinking like, through the night in England or cold snap.
Your on to a winner keep posting over the winter , as no one has put that info out there.

What is the min amps to use so the battery self warms from use ?. = kettle waterheater via a inverter.
and at what percentage of batteries will it turn on ( your heat pads), if useage is 20% per day =4 days
Do you need to charge on first day of a cold snap if parked up?. On solar ( controller can turn off) and or b2b I know they start at different times. 240v = always. Solar as controlled , b2b is the problem I think !.as you don't need to warm up li-po untill you start the engine. Or befor ?
My 4 heat pads draw about 12 amps total . I did it this way as I think constant heat will use more wattage over a night.
With 50 amps going into the batteries enclosure when charging after about 3 hours the batteries were 5 degreeC above ambient so you would need that sort of current to keep above 5C if ambient was 0C.
Yes the first night parked up with frost on the ground overnight I needed to heat as the cells were at 3C, below the 5C I set the bms low temp protect. The heat pads turn on when it is too cold to charge, at any state of battery charge, they switch off at about 9C. Once off they should not be needed again until the next night.
At the moment I can only warm the heat pads when the engine has started. So the first 10 minutes of driving does not charge the batteries. I did plan a momentary switch and time delay relay so I could manually preheat the batteries with battery power 10 minutes before I planned to drive. However our ferry booking got close so I postponed installing that circuit.

Derekoak

Forum Member
I'm still unsure about the use of heat pads. I may do some experiments to determine the thermal conductivity of the cells. I'm sure I remember on my last visit to Switzerland, a friend had to preheat his little BMW before he could take us out in it.
I am sure that without heat pads and an underslung battery, I would have a very restricted Spanish winter holiday. I would have to stay close to the coast at night, at least every other night, unless the nights were warm in the mountains. This morning at 1300m altitude it snowed on us after we left our overnight.

Nabsim

Forum Member
You can charge them below 5 degrees but not at full rate, it’s when they get to zero you can’t charge.

Derekoak

Forum Member
Ok, bullet bitten. 120 watts of heat pads ordered.
I assume, if you are getting the same pads as me, that as they are 12 volt pads and your system is 24 volt that you need a minimum of 2 in series? When they came they had a 200C thermistor attached, but I took it off to run my own temperature control .

wildebus

Forum Member
Thank you for your input chaps. My intension is to use an underside locker. I really should take some measurements to see if they will really fit.
At the moment the locker is in a very sorry state due to dangerous tyres being used. The hole in the locker has been repaired, but will need cutting out to do properly. The underside lockers on Betty are all glass fibre constructions. It looks like they were attached to the body chassis before the floor was fitted. So I expect some major surgery will be required to remove the locker and find a new way to support it. The outer edge is supported by 25x25x3 MS angle. That's in a sorry state too. The last thing I want is for the batteries to escape. A plus side to this location is that above it inside the body runs a hot air pipe. I could Tee of this and divert some warm air into the box. Insulating this box might make sense too. Another plus for this location is that the engine start batteries are only a couple of metres away. As for Battery to Battery charging I think if I can get away with it, I'll just use a DC DC charger. I don't want to burn diesel to make electricity.
There was a discussion about busbars to connect the cells a little time ago.... I happened across this video this morning and the busbars the guy found look pretty nifty. Worth a look I think if still deciding what method to use.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
There was a discussion about busbars to connect the cells a little time ago.... I happened across this video this morning and the busbars the guy found look pretty nifty. Worth a look I think if still deciding what method to use.
This was my first thought David, but you need a larger hump than that to relieve the stress on the connector.
I was also thinking about high density foam between them too.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)