DVLA requirements for change to motor caravan

• Thread starter Deleted member 4404
  • Start date

voyager

Forum Member
and if they are wrong, any tickets gets cancelled. (I think it should be remembered how the justice system operates and any speeding ticket can be challenged)
Yes they can be challenged but it just seems a strange system when they don't know the information they need to get it right in the first place.

helmit

Forum Member
I've just sent this off to DVLA will let you know the result. Jim

Attachments

• image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 307
  • IMG_2429.JPG
    IMG_2429.JPG
    743.9 KB · Views: 318
  • image1 (1).jpeg
    image1 (1).jpeg
    834 KB · Views: 314
  • image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 319

JackieA

Forum Member
Not sure if this bit is tongue-in-cheek or if you have actually found a tolled crossing (or maybe meant England and Wales on the bridge? but now free anyway)
Was following my son in law on his Lands End John o’groats ride 2018 towing a caravan with the van. Can’t remember the exact crossing but my comment is factual.

wildebus

Forum Member
Yes they can be challenged but it just seems a strange system when they don't know the information they need to get it right in the first place.
Strange? It's farcical. I would imagine the number of speeding issues in this situation is low enough that they don't bother fixing it.
The DVLA don't know the ULW of a vehicle, but how many owners do either?

Last edited:

wildebus

Forum Member
Was following my son in law on his Lands End John o’groats ride 2018 towing a caravan with the van. Can’t remember the exact crossing but my comment is factual.
Fair enough. That would be a crossing within Scotland rather than an actual Border crossing.
(It would be a right pain if they did introduce a border crossing toll - I live in Scotland but can see England out my Window so would rack up a fair old bill over time!)

voyager

Forum Member
Hi, mate has just pointed out a few posting on a different forum and a couple of conversion have just been accepted so there must be some movement in DVLA stance.

NickB

**Proposition for discussion**
SAY. two physically identical vehicles converted on exactly the same base unit and kitted out 100% the same inside same weight, TWINS if you like .
(A) Vehicle number ones outside "looks" in the opinion of the DVLA like a MOTOR CARAVAN.
(B) Vehicle number twos outside looks like a VAN/SIDE WINDOWS in the opinion of the DVLA.
*Whats the difference?*
Well they have different speed limit restrictions.
Can that be justified? How can a vehicles appearance (or colour) affect the DfT speed limit policy.
Apartheid!

NickB

Owen Smith MP has written to Julie Lennard Chief Executive DVLA Swansea reflecting my concerns.

Garywrench

I’m thinking it has to LOOK like a motorhome, interesting that a plain white van with windows and no stickers went through recently, mine failed without stickers because it didn’t ‘look’ like a motorhome (despite being gold metallic not white) and hoping it will go through second time - awaiting return post ! I bet twins differing only by stickers will be pot luck anyway
**Proposition for discussion**
SAY. two physically identical vehicles converted on exactly the same base unit and kitted out 100% the same inside same weight, TWINS if you like .
(A) Vehicle number ones outside "looks" in the opinion of the DVLA like a MOTOR CARAVAN.
(B) Vehicle number twos outside looks like a VAN/SIDE WINDOWS in the opinion of the DVLA.
*Whats the difference?*
Well they have different speed limit restrictions.
Can that be justified? How can a vehicles appearance (or colour) affect the DfT speed limit policy.
Apartheid!

Millie Master

Forum Member
Owen Smith MP has written to Julie Lennard Chief Executive DVLA Swansea reflecting my concerns.

We possibly all ought to start writing to Julie Lennard of the DVLA as she possibly has never heard about this problem....................... My letter will be going in the post first class tomorrow as the current situation is plain bonkers loopy loo!!!

I do understand that they no doubt receive a large number of applications from people who have quite literally thrown their conversions together with not even a passing thought about quality or performance, let alone the darned thing looking anything like a motorhome, but then there are others, like the majority of us, who work damned hard to make sure their efforts look like something they can be proud of.

Phil

ps. By the way Nick thanks a trillion for giving that heads up, you are a star.

NickB

I have just sent this email as well......

Dear Ms Lennard,

Please can you explain how two physicaly identical vehicles which only differ in external 'appearance' can be subject to different speed limit restrictions.

Please will you tell me what disscusions have taken place, and in particular what you have agreed with the DfT regarding speed limits applicable to vehicles described on V5c as Motor Caravan and those as Van/Side Windows.

I look forward to an explanation which hopefully would avoid the need to submit a Freedom of Information request.

wildebus

Forum Member
Ref the speed limit thing, just a comment that you are linking specifically a Van and a Motor Caravan for comparisons when the principle of how they are applied are wider and actually nothing to do with Motor Caravans but with cars.

The speed limits are based on if a commercial vehicle started life as a commercial vehicle design or if it started life as a Car (i.e. a Car-Derived Van).

Examples:
A Ford Fiesta Car has limits for a Car, of course.
A Ford Fiesta Van has the same speed limits as a car because it is a Car-Derived Van (and is under a certain weight)

A Vauxhall Corsa Car goes at Car Limits.
A Vauxhall Corsa Combo Van is restricted to Commercial Van limits as the modifications to the body are enough that it has been decided by the powers that be (VOSA? SMMT?) it is no longer car derived

Switching it round a bit and maybe closer to the MotorCaravan possibly (but not really)

A Renault Kangoo is available in both Car and Van and the body styles are identical except for maybe Side Windows
However, the Car has higher speed limits than the Van variant because rather than the Van being a Car-Derived Van, the van came first and so it is determined that the Car is actually a Van-Derived Car.
The same situation is true for the VW Transporter. They are vans by design and are subject to Commercial Vehicle speeds unless they become a Van-Derived Car, such as the VW T5 Shuttle I had. It was labelled as 'Transporter' on the badge, but it was legally a Car and therefore I could drive at Car Speeds. The Shuttle is a 9 seater Vehicle. VW also make an identical 9-seater Transporter and that is classed as a Van/Side Windows but is a commercial vehicle (and limited to Commercial speeds)
This is identical to your Motor Caravan vs Van/Side WIndows question but nothing to do with Motor Caravans.

I'm just mentioning this as the response from the DVLA could totally and legitimately ignore the question about motor caravans as they are encompassed in the wider Car vs Van explanation.
You may get an explanation about why vans have a different speed limits than cars and this will probably be stated as being due to payloads (hence the weight limit caveat regarding CDVs). The Motor Caravan is just seen inheritating car rights I think and if anything would change it would be a removal of increased limits for that category.

NickB

Sorry Wildbus, I forgot to include in my cut&paste email to Julie Lennard the subject line which highlighted the speed disparity between MC & V./S. windows.
Your post is interesting information well presented.
Nick

Millie Master

Forum Member
My email to Julie Lennard didn't mention speed limits at all as I honestly don't believe that is the stumbling block.

I concentrated on like for like in as much that, and I quote from my email, "As you might know, members of the National Caravan Council (NCC) include the likes of the Swift Group, Bailey Caravans and numerous other professional converters and most, if not all of these companies, on an annual basis, undertake several thousand conversions of panel vans making them into small MOTOR CARAVANS and their V5C documents list them as such, yet in most cases their conversions look almost exactly the same as so many privately undertaken conversions which have been rejected?"

Apart from this long paragraph the rest of my email was short and to the point, I will let you know if I receive any response.

Phil

wildebus

Forum Member
I'm still waiting for a reply to my email.
The deadline is actually today for them to meet their obligation under the FOI Act!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)