Diesel Heater On All Night

Nabsim

Forum Member
When it gets cold I will turn mine down to 10 to 12 degrees when I go to bed. The Eberspacher is under the bed so gets too hot if I don’t turn it down or off. I have never felt bad in a morning except when it’s been left on a higher setting and I wake up melting

StreetSleeper

Forum Member
I was running it at 20C but now I've linked up the key fob I can drop the temperature easily. Prior to setting up the key fob, resetting the temperature was a lot of faffing about.

Last edited:

StreetSleeper

Forum Member
Fabulous night out; nice and warn sitting in the van but a bit blowy outside, turned the heating down to 10C before we went to bed. In the morning van still nice and warm, didn't need to turn up the heat. So I think I can safely say the heater is now working and no owners were harmed in this experiment ............. but for how long will it last I hear you say............. we will have to wait and see.

StreetSleeper

Forum Member
Another observation. If you start the heater and run it at 10C there is a horrid smell from the exhaust that isn't there when you run it at a higher temperature. My conclusion is fuel is not being burnt off properly so to overcome this problem I thought I would start it up at 20C and run it until it was hot then turn it back down; the same smell has retuned. I don't know what to do or is it normal with these heaters? What I have decided to do, in the meantime, is to turn the heat up and when the smell stops I will presume that the heater is burning at it's right temperature. Not really the answer but a heater not running properly will soon soot up.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
The eberspachers go into an extra high setting when they start up, then drop back depending on how they have been set and temperature.

StreetSleeper

Forum Member
I've now had the heating right up and brought it back down, still the same smell recurs. It runs fine but a bit smelly; put it this way I would not like to be parked next to me. Tomorrow, in the daylight, I will look to see if there is any black smoke or put a pipe on the end and see if there is any soot on the pipe when I remove it. I wouldn't say it smells of bad eggs, just not nice.

Silver sprinter

Forum Member
I've now had the heating right up and brought it back down, still the same smell recurs. It runs fine but a bit smelly; put it this way I would not like to be parked next to me. Tomorrow, in the daylight, I will look to see if there is any black smoke or put a pipe on the end and see if there is any soot on the pipe when I remove it. I wouldn't say it smells of bad eggs, just not nice.
can you detect where the smell is coming from, easy question, but maybe not easy to answer

StreetSleeper

Forum Member
Decided to have a quick look inside, replace the filter and replace the glow plug.

DSCN5200.JPG

To be honest with you, there doesn't seem to be an issue; both the glow plug and the filter are very clean.

DSCN5201.JPG

Being as I had the spares, I thought I would change them anyway. It's now all back together and I will run it and see how it turns out.

DSCN5204.JPG

Rae

StreetSleeper

Forum Member
For peace of mind I decided to remove the inlet pipe, just to make sure there was no blockage.

DSCN5206.JPG

While it was off I thought it would be a good idea to remove the silencer to see if shortening the induction would have any effect and if there was any difference in the noise.

DSCN5205.JPG

Ready to go back on, no foreign bodies were found so will have to see what happens.

DSCN5208.JPG

Rae

n brown

Forum Member
i think my webasto [so many heaters i lose track ] had a smelly problem then started smoking,it was down to the felt pad ,easy enough job

[ i left it on all night once- when i realised what it had cost me i felt quite sick .]

StreetSleeper

Forum Member
Still not happy with the smell from the heater so, for peace of mind, there was only one way I could go; pull it apart.

DSCN5247.JPG

After removing the combustion chamber and finding it relatively clean it was time to look for the next suspect.

DSCN5248.JPG

As you can see, no problem there.

DSCN5249.JPG

Same again. Only one thing left, which I originally thought could be the problem.

DSCN5250.JPG

This little hole blocked but, in this case, clean as a whistle.

DSCN5251.JPG

Removed the gauze just to make sure but, as with my previous findings, waste of time.

DSCN5252.JPG

The only thing that I can find that has any difference; one of the ends is flat (which was the original) and the other end is chamfered, which is what I replaced when I pulled it apart last time.

DSCN5253.JPG

I am completely stumped so I will rebuild it and continue using it and, hopefully, I will find the answer.

Rae

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)