Could be interesting for those worried about diesel heater noise.

mistericeman

Forum Member

xsilvergs

Forum Member
I would love a diesel heater as an alternative to our Truma blown air system. Is it just the challenge or the fact the Truma seems to struggle to do a good job when it's cold? Also if using gas well I may as well open the tap and let it vent to atmosphere ;)

mistericeman

Forum Member
I would love a diesel heater as an alternative to our Truma blown air system. Is it just the challenge or the fact the Truma seems to struggle to do a good job when it's cold? Also if using gas well I may as well open the tap and let it vent to atmosphere ;)

I know exactly what you mean....
First job when weather warms and restrictions lift will be fitting eberspacher d2 in the Moho....

Even having refillable bottles using gas for heating feels like throwing money away.

Nabsim

Forum Member
Charlie used gas at an incredible rate in that Hymer he had with the Truma heating. Karen does like it warm though, was too hot for me but he would empty an 11kg bottle in two days 8 think it was in Winter.

wildebus

Forum Member
What is the concensus on fitting a Diesel Heater as a secondary/backup heater, and adding it into the existing heater ductwork? such as in the diagram below? Blue would be original. Green would be the add-on.
1608943325752.png

Some of the things that I would want to know is:
  1. Heat. Is the Diesel Heater output (which is pretty high) compatible with the ducting? What is the temp at a Truma Heater as it enters the ductwork?
  2. Backflow. Any issues pushing hot air INTO the output vent of the Truma Heater?
  3. Flow Pressure. Enough airflow from the Diesel Heater to push around the existing ductwork?
  4. ANO?
I am also looking to add a diesel heater into my van as an alternate heating option. Obviously can install it as totally independant, but I would like to take advantage of the standard ducting to circulate the heat around the living area and washroom like the Truma does for improved comfort
I also do not want to decommission the Truma Heater and want to be able to chose whichever heater to use (for one thing, if on EHU, would make sense to use the Electric option on the Truma).

Any thoughts/experiences on this?

xsilvergs

Forum Member
Would some of the heat from the diesel heater which gets into the Truma be wasted heating water in the combined boiler?

Due to limited space in our van I would look to mounting a diesel heater outside. The boxes for heater are as much as the Chinese heater!

wildebus

Forum Member
In my case, the water heater (UltraStor) is separate from the room heater (UltraHeat) so residual heat wouldn't have any impact on water but it could make a difference on a combined unit? If you did have a combo unit and had water on, does the room heater part work at the same time? (Or is it like a domestic boiler where there is usually a diverting valve so it is either/or but never both? (and usually water has priority))

The all-in-one housings are too bulky and awkward for a van install. Really more for a shed or garage.
If you do fit outside, you must protect against the elements. The electrics in them have zero protection from water (the Eberspacher is another manager with encapsulated control boards. The Chinese ones have a plastic cover over the electrics and the outer housing. On my Motorhome I'd likely fit in the now-redundant external battery box as I know that stays dry.
You can get external protection designed for the Eberspacher but the ones I have seen seem to be just pressed metal stone/splash guards at silly money?

Debs

Forum Member
What is the concensus on fitting a Diesel Heater as a secondary/backup heater, and adding it into the existing heater ductwork? such as in the diagram below? Blue would be original. Green would be the add-on.
View attachment 3379
Some of the things that I would want to know is:
  1. Heat. Is the Diesel Heater output (which is pretty high) compatible with the ducting? What is the temp at a Truma Heater as it enters the ductwork?
  2. Backflow. Any issues pushing hot air INTO the output vent of the Truma Heater?
  3. Flow Pressure. Enough airflow from the Diesel Heater to push around the existing ductwork?
  4. ANO?
I am also looking to add a diesel heater into my van as an alternate heating option. Obviously can install it as totally independant, but I would like to take advantage of the standard ducting to circulate the heat around the living area and washroom like the Truma does for improved comfort
I also do not want to decommission the Truma Heater and want to be able to chose whichever heater to use (for one thing, if on EHU, would make sense to use the Electric option on the Truma).

Any thoughts/experiences on this?
I think Rae used his existing ducting for his diesel heater.

Squiffy

Forum Member
Really find it hard to understand the negative thoughts on Truma, I've had Truma heating for water and space for 20 years and find not only are they economic but work really effectively. Admittedly the new Truma combi 4/6 are much better than the early blown air stand alone and separate water heater, however my Truma combi 4 is quiet, clean and easy to manage, if you take into account that during winter and cooler times when using the space heater side of it it also heats the water and so in my opinion is far more economic than a diesel heater especially as diesel prices are now £1.22 a ltr and rising as against £0.53 a ltr for propane. When putting the fact that two friends I have that went down the diesel heater route have had major upsets with their set ups in so much as they are either ceasing to operate through electrical problems or burner issues and diesel supply problems, where as for 20 odd years I have never once had a problem with propane or the electric element side of a Truma, just lucky you could suggest but I travel extensively on the continent and the UK so the Trumas I have owned have always been heavily used and road abused ( Vibration ) and as I said never let me down. Phil

Trotter

Forum Member
Really find it hard to understand the negative thoughts on Truma, I've had Truma heating for water and space for 20 years and find not only are they economic but work really effectively. Admittedly the new Truma combi 4/6 are much better than the early blown air stand alone and separate water heater, however my Truma combi 4 is quiet, clean and easy to manage, if you take into account that during winter and cooler times when using the space heater side of it it also heats the water and so in my opinion is far more economic than a diesel heater especially as diesel prices are now £1.22 a ltr and rising as against £0.53 a ltr for propane. When putting the fact that two friends I have that went down the diesel heater route have had major upsets with their set ups in so much as they are either ceasing to operate through electrical problems or burner issues and diesel supply problems, where as for 20 odd years I have never once had a problem with propane or the electric element side of a Truma, just lucky you could suggest but I travel extensively on the continent and the UK so the Trumas I have owned have always been heavily used and road abused ( Vibration ) and as I said never let me down. Phil
You make a very valid point.
The reasons I may fit a Diesel heater is
1, Lpg is becoming a little more difficult to source.
2, A couple of years ago my regulator failed, on the last day of April in Portugal. May day bank holiday. No fridge was the only difficulty, as I carry one of those canister gas hob thingies. Imagine if that was January or February in the UK,or even worse Scandinavia. Important bits of brass monkeys would be dropping off. 'Tis belt and braces for me.

wildebus

Forum Member
You make a very valid point.
The reasons I may fit a Diesel heater is
1, Lpg is becoming a little more difficult to source.
2, A couple of years ago my regulator failed, on the last day of April in Portugal. May day bank holiday. No fridge was the only difficulty, as I carry one of those canister gas hob thingies. Imagine if that was January or February in the UK,or even worse Scandinavia. Important bits of brass monkeys would be dropping off. 'Tis belt and braces for me.
on the flip side .... My DIESEL Heater failed to start when I was camped one time. Because I had a canister hob thingie I turned that on and it warmed up the van quite nicely (I did position it just below an open window for ventilation).

You are quite right - always useful to have a backup plan :)

linkshouse

Forum Member
Before the engine died on our Old Hymer I fitted a chinese diesel heater and connected it to the exisitng ducting and it worked a treat.

When we scrapped the Hymer I used it as a donor vehicle for a self conversion and moved the heater along with most other stuff over to our current van where it also works just fine.

Trotter

Forum Member
Would some of the heat from the diesel heater which gets into the Truma be wasted heating water in the combined boiler?
Would this be a waste?
The Truma heats the water a bit when on heating anyway, well mine does. Besides, a wash in lukewarm water is much better than the cold stuff. Not that I need to wash, being naturally aromatic.

Nabsim

Forum Member
They do a Chinese diesel water heater now but not sure how available it is yet. Was a while ago I saw testing on it so not certain but think it may have been air and water combined.

Trotter

Forum Member
They do a Chinese diesel water heater now but not sure how available it is yet. Was a while ago I saw testing on it so not certain but think it may have been air and water combined.
Saw a youtube on one of these this morning.@ DIY Campervan man. Chinese Diesel Water & Air Heater Feasibility Test.
The guy reckons,either he bought a prototype, or someone in China is selling a bitza.
Not for me.

xsilvergs

Forum Member
Nope. And the wrong knife for those spuds.
I am waiting for him to fit the fuel stand pipe into the tank. Hughtube fitted one, lets see if GJ does it differently.

The kits I've seen I thought came with stand pipes?

For a few quid he'd fit your diesel heater for you I expect.

wildebus

Forum Member
The kits I've seen I thought came with stand pipes?

For a few quid he'd fit your diesel heater for you I expect.
With the Chinese Heaters you invariably get a fuel tank of around 10-15 Litres, but I have never seen one with a supplied stand pipe (the stand pipe kits are not expensive - even the Eberspacher ones are fairly reasonable).

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)