'Chinese' Diesel Heater

StreetSleeper

Forum Member
I say my genny is quiet

Hello Nabs,
The thing about gennies, most of the owners do not run them through the night. As for diesel heaters this is not the case; I had the misfortune one winter when we were in the Citroen van and the only heating we had was one ring .......... or two and right next to us was a van with the heater running all through the night with no silencer; that's why I have taken so much time and effort to try and keep mine quiet.

Rae

StreetSleeper

Forum Member
When I fitted my pump I cable tied it to the plastic diesel tank and I thought I had done a great job eliminating the ticking sound , but as the tank got emptier the ticking got louder until it was thuding , so that idea soon got binned and now it is fixed onto a piece of solid rubber but if you listen hard enough you can still hear it , I cured that by turning the radio up (y)

Hello Jeff,
Though I used Sikaflex I also put a bolt through from the metal gas locker to the fibreglass outer casing, tomorrow I shall be removing said bolt as I believe the sound could be resonating through it.

Rae

Debs

Forum Member
Thanks guys, as soon as I get the heater out and can measure the depth of my floor, I can get a turret ordered and then decide what to do from there. Yesterday was spent under the van,of which I'll mention in the right place.

wildebus

Forum Member
I tried to search and failed, but I am sure there is some kind of sound absorbing rubber that maybe could be used as a sandwich in some way?

It could be this stuff? (also called Heavy Mass Vinyl)

StreetSleeper

Forum Member
Pump cover arrived this morning, fitted it to the vehicle by the means of two tie wraps and I can honestly say I could not hear any ticking from the pump in the van. You could still hear some ticking from outside if you lay on the floor and crawl under the van so I would have to say this has been a big improvement.

DSCN5101.JPG

DSCN5102.JPG

Rae

StreetSleeper

Forum Member
I have been running the heater for the last few day and this is my conclusion: not overly complicated to set up, works fine, once it has reached it's temperature it slows down and is quiet, you don't hear the pump and you don't hear the exhaust or the induction; would I buy another one if this one broke ......yes. I can only speak for myself and my set up.

Rae

Dowel

Forum Member
Interesting thread that I have enjoyed following.
Nobody AFAIK has mentioned the 19 or so youtube videos by John McK 47 at:

I have watched all but 4 of them and believe he is the best source of information about these heaters.
An old guy, like myself, but very thorough.

I have bench tested mine and it all went very well. Just about to make the final installation. Fingers crossed there are no gremlins waiting to pounce as it will be below the offside berth in my van, not the easiest place to access but with my layout the best place to cut through the van's metal floor.

A question to any others who have or are about to fit a heater: Have you found that the silicon gasket is a poor fit?
Overall the gasket seems to be about 2 to 3 mm short and all the holes slightly offset longitudinally.

I have done a little trimming to make it fit a bit better and may use a bit of 300 °C silicon seal (Everbuild Heatmate) where there are now slightly oversize holes.

DnK

Forum Member
Interesting thread that I have enjoyed following.
Nobody AFAIK has mentioned the 19 or so youtube videos by John McK 47 at:

I have watched all but 4 of them and believe he is the best source of information about these heaters.
An old guy, like myself, but very thorough.

Thanks for posting this link. I'm watching no 8 so far, this guy knows his stuff. Anyone fitting one of those heaters should watch his videos to be fully informed.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)