'Chinese' Diesel Heater

Debs

Forum Member
Those clips that come with the heater......$%£&$£"!("!....sacre bleau, I think string would have been stronger, time for a route around in my cupboards and if that fails a trip to the internet shop. I may even be tempted to get some of that exhaust wrap.

Debs

Forum Member
Hello Debs,
First of all, hope you are keeping well. It will be very interesting to see how he gets on .

Rae
Hia Ray, got a lot of the heater in today, and weather permitting I will finish it tomorrow. with fitting the heater, that has allowed me to fit the second part of the floor. Still hoping to get away next winter, but not holding my breath, I think the chance of a second wave of this plague is possible. Had a good chuckle reading the Chinglish instructions.:LOL:

wildebus

Forum Member
These diesel heaters need to be primed with fuel to get running of course. Tucked away in the instructions is the routine to start the priming process. It is worth doing this rather than just running the heater a few times to try and prime it that way.
I prefer to actually leave the fuel pipe off the heater and do the priming until the fuel squirts out, and then connect it. That way when you start the heater you know there will be fuel coming into it very quickly so takes an unknown out the picture when commisioning.

Debs

Forum Member
These diesel heaters need to be primed with fuel to get running of course. Tucked away in the instructions is the routine to start the priming process. It is worth doing this rather than just running the heater a few times to try and prime it that way.
I prefer to actually leave the fuel pipe off the heater and do the priming until the fuel squirts out, and then connect it. That way when you start the heater you know there will be fuel coming into it very quickly so takes an unknown out the picture when commisioning.
That's what I was thinking, a little bit of fuel run to a container would probably save a whole load of faff!

mistericeman

Forum Member
That's what I was thinking, a little bit of fuel run to a container would probably save a whole load of faff!

I use a syringe to suck fuel from tank to the pump....
Then to push diesel from the pump line to the heater inlet.

Massively reduces pfaff with priming

Debs

Forum Member
So there I was, gently trying to persuade some curvature into the exhaust pipe, when I felt it give.......%^$*£"!.......so a trip to the internet shop for some new flexi pipe and rather than jubilee's, like Rae, clamps to fasten it together. I also have some old ducting which is far superior to what was supplied. Now I am not complaining, especially when you compare the price's for these heaters. Mine came from Czechoslovakia postage free for £95.89.

van22.JPG

StreetSleeper

Forum Member
Base arrived today, quite happy with the construction; made of stainless steel so no need for painting. Looked at the ring and thought I've got a cutter that size, unfortunately.........not quite.

DSCN5006.JPG

As you can see, no use at all.
Getting back to the job, when I get round to fitting the plate I'm going to use mastic. As my floor is made of wood I would think this would be the best way to seal the plate to the floor and then I will mastic it from underneath just to seal the job properly.

DSCN5008.JPG

Hopefully the tank will come tomorrow and then I can start to size up where that is going to go.

Rae

mistericeman

Forum Member
Base arrived today, quite happy with the construction; made of stainless steel so no need for painting. Looked at the ring and thought I've got a cutter that size, unfortunately.........not quite.

View attachment 2422

As you can see, no use at all.
Getting back to the job, when I get round to fitting the plate I'm going to use mastic. As my floor is made of wood I would think this would be the best way to seal the plate to the floor and then I will mastic it from underneath just to seal the job properly.

View attachment 2423

Hopefully the tank will come tomorrow and then I can start to size up where that is going to go.

Rae

102mm or ish (big enough for a turret to go through)
Here on a arbour in Manchester if you want a, borrow chap.

StreetSleeper

Forum Member
Thanks very much for your kind offer, there is a slight problem with distance: I live in Scotland so it's a bit of a trek but, hopefully, there is a very kind man out there who lives not a million miles away from me that may be able to help me out. I daresay after reading this I will be receiving a pm.......hint, hint........pretty please.

Rae

mistericeman

Forum Member
Thanks very much for your kind offer, there is a slight problem with distance: I live in Scotland so it's a bit of a trek but, hopefully, there is a very kind man out there who lives not a million miles away from me that may be able to help me out. I daresay after reading this I will be receiving a pm.......hint, hint........pretty please.

Rae

Let me know if not..... I can always post you a spare hole saw (if you already have the holesaw) or the complete thing with arbour....
And you could pass it on to the next person that needs it as and when.

Let me know.

StreetSleeper

Forum Member
Tank arrived this morning, bit of a worrying time as I had no idea the measurements as it was only advertised as a Honda lawnmower tank; by my reckoning it should fit quite comfortably and, low and behold, it sits in there a treat: I can still manage to get the gas bottle in and out with the tank in situ.

DSCN5009.JPG

Next job.
Make a platform for it to sit on. This entailed bending the two bolts that are fixed to the outer skin on the tank, easy enough job, a piece of pipe and a little tweak. On the other side all that was needed was an L shaped bracket, drilled and cut to size. I wanted some space between the floor and the tank just so air could circulate round.

DSCN5010.JPG

As you can see, I sandwiched the plywood between two washers and two nuts. I had to countersink the holes as the bolts weren't long enough and I also want the wood to sit flat on the floor.

DSCN5011.JPG

Final picture, the countersunk hole. Quite close to the edge so the washer had to be trimmed back.

DSCN5013.JPG

Not sure yet but may have to cut a channel in the base to allow the fuel pipe access. Also something I'm contemplating is using mastic as opposed to nuts & bolts to hold the base to the floor.

Rae

Silver sprinter

Forum Member
Ordered some cladding today from Wickes, using click and collect, had heard it was in short supply, but got my order confirmation, so now I wait to be told when I will be able to collect. Has any body used a Stanley electric brad nail gun, and are they any good. £40 quid in B&Q. Still doing a bit each day..........

View attachment 2433View attachment 2434View attachment 2435View attachment 2436

I know that frame and panel is "old school" but I like it and its light as a feather.....nearly.
It's tried and tested for you. you know what works for your needs 👍

Last edited:

trevskoda

Forum Member
A little off topic, but maybe for those that must fiddle. Some time ago an American truck maker altered there trucks to feed sump oil into the diesel tank. This was to overcome the environmental problem of sump oil disposal. So I guess the truck was just topped up with new oil and the filter changed?
So if the heater is designed for 35sec fuel and your running 28sec, maybe a little oil in the fuel wouldn't hurt?
Sump oil is full of small bits of carbon and will block jets,dont do this.

StreetSleeper

Forum Member
T nuts arrive today, after a long wait, I could now get on with fixing the tank for the Chinese diesel heater. Here we have it in situ., four holes drilled through the floor, ready for the tank to go on.

DSCN5022.JPG

I left a little gap all the way round so there should be no vibration from the tank inside the cabinet.

DSCN5023.JPG

A longer shot showing how much room is still available and the LPG bottle can easily be removed.

DSCN5024.JPG

One of the things that sold it for me was the fuel filter inside the tank; in fact, it has two., one for when you're pouring in and one for when it's in use. Over the years I have worked on many construction sites and this sort of filtering system has worked extremely well on most of the machinery.

DSCN5030.JPG

Rae

StreetSleeper

Forum Member
Hole cutter turned up this morning so that's a good excuse to stop whatever I was supposed to do and get back to working on the van.

DSCN5034.JPG

First job: make sure I got the right size.

DSCN5037.JPG

Removed the old heater. By doing this I should gain a lot more cupboard space.

DSCN5038.JPG

To my surprise, when I removed the chimney pipe it had almost burned through; I think we had a lucky escape.

DSCN5039.JPG

Everything removed now all I have to do is fill the two holes in and try and find some matching wood to make the drawers with.

DSCN5040.JPG

I initially intended to have the diesel heater in the same position as the fire but after a few measurements I realised this wasn't going to happen; main problem being I am having two 90 litre LPG tanks fitted and the exhaust from the heater would have definitely been in the way plus the original position of the heater was very near the centre of the van and this meant that I would have to go round the chassis rails.

DSCN5041.JPG

Dry run. Fits in quite nicely, just have to cut a hole so it's a little bit further backwards so it misses an outrigger.

DSCN5042.JPG

Hole drilled, plate attached. All that's needed now is the rain to stop so I can fix it permanently

DSCN5044.JPG

I hope you appreciate this shot, I had to lay down in a puddle: as you have already guessed, this is underneath. You can see why I had to move it under the seat because of the outrigger.

DSCN5045.JPG

Rae

RAW

Forum Member
Hey @StreetSleeper That looks like a pro job. Why do you have a Gas canister in the Cabinet ? Could you not have the LPG for engine in the under-slung tank doing domestic LPG as well ? That's what I did on Sylvia to get more space.
Can you tell me where you got the petrol tank from please ? Looks like a lawn-mower or similar sort of size ?
Whoever did the Diesel Heater on the new Van just used the 10L plastic one that came with the heater. Yours looks a bit smaller than that ? I have been told that 10 litres for morning and evening heater in UK winter lasts around 12 days but not used the new van much as only got in out of Garage a bit before the Lockdown struck.

StreetSleeper

Forum Member
Yes I should have had two tanks fitted on the Tuesday but on the Monday lockdown hit us. Eventually I hope to be having two 90 litre tanks fitted, I already have a 60 litre but one of the new tanks will be a top and bottom feeder so I will be able to run my appliances and the vehicle off the same tank. You mentioned the diesel tank, it's a Honda copy from a lawnmower, off eBay. I tried fitting the tank that came with the kit but it was far too big and we're not normally away for long periods in winter so I couldn't see the point of having a tank that size.

Rae

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)