Apart from the sevel vans, are any vans wide enough for a full size bed past the ribs

Byronic

flares don't stick out as much as wing mirrors. if they protrude 50mm and that is filled with insulation , you still gain the extra width of the wall thickness, 2-4 inches each side. or just don't put wall panelling and insulation where your head and feet need to go , just fix carpet or camping mat to the van skin to stop condensation

I pull my wing mirrors in if needs be, distance then is within the wheelarch width.
Truth is bulges look terrible in my eyes. I'm just trying hard to find a practical
justification for not having them!
Wm. Morris "Have nothing that you do not know to be useful or believe to be
beautiful". That's what he quoted, of a stately home or old nail of a van!

n brown

Forum Member
I pull my wing mirrors in if needs be, distance then is within the wheelarch width.
Truth is bulges look terrible in my eyes. I'm just trying hard to find a practical
justification for not having them!
Wm. Morris "Have nothing that you do not know to be useful or believe to be
beautiful". That's what he quoted, of a stately home or old nail of a van!
well i like bulges and believe them to be beautiful [ in case the wife reads this ]
my second option still gives most vans a 6' bed

Byronic

well i like bulges and believe them to be beautiful [ in case the wife reads this ]
my second option still gives most vans a 6' bed

In the right place, so do I. Quite fancy myself in a pair of budgie smuggling speedos !

wildebus

Forum Member
Each to their own, but I don't really get the attraction of a transverse bed UNLESS it is for a single bed width. You end up saving not that much space and if two people are sleeping it is inconvenient for one of you.
I fitted a standard double (135cm X 190cm) bed in my van with side shelves either side from bed to windows to give extra elbow room, places to put drinks, glasses, books, phones, etc.
Works very well and I don't think I would turn it round if the van was wider.

Byronic

I originally had a transverse bed, 190cm (6'-3") length. I'm 6'-2". I doubted
that it would suit, and it didn't. But I had a plan B so reverted to that.
Ideally a bed should be at least 6" longer than body length, the head in the
middle of the pillow, not at the edge. So unless you're a shortarse then the
width of currently available panel vans is just not enough, and if it's a short bed
you may have problems when selling on.
Sure, most people can put up with head butting the wall or kipping diagonally
for a week or so, but long term it's a compromise too far,....... 'tis for me.

ricc

For info I've just measured my 06 iveco daily. It's 71 inches between the ply lining at bed height. We just slide in a double mattress loong ways. Got plenty of length, about 12 foot to the cab bulkhead.

Duckato

Forum Member
Sprinter/Crafter flares
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132834866203?ViewItem=&item=132834866203

I too am at the sideways or longways decision process and one on the off side might just cover it I have windows already fitted along the nearside

$_86 (1).JPG
$_86 (2).JPG

Darcar

Forum Member
For us, the difference of around 2&1/2 feet, would reduce the living space just to much.
Our bed is across the van, it’s 6’2” long fits a standard mattress.
Giving us the space we wanted for bathroom wc shower etc.

Biggarmac

Forum Member
Just measured the transverse bed in my Renault Master. 226cms (89inches). Had to sew fitted sheets for it as its way longer than standard size.

Millie Master

Forum Member
I believe the latest Morvano/Master is wider than a Ducato at around 2ft from floor.

Not as far as I am concerned as I own a 2008 Renault Master !

The most difficult thing about building a Master/Movano conversion is the tumble home of the walls, i.e. unlike the Sevel vans that are nigh on square and very wide, the Master/Movano is not only quite significantly narrower but the van side walls curve outwards, but only very slightly from the floor before then bending in quite significantly....... Believe me it is a right royal b-tch of a job to get the cupboard walls to accurately follow the curvature of the walls!

There are some people who have built transverse beds across the back of the Master/Movano in the very same way as some have done across the rust bucket Sprinters and even more rust bucket Transits, but all of those beds (without extending the side walls) will all be slightly less than 6' in length.

Dowel

Forum Member
Trafic, Vivaro and Primastar are similar, the wall profile bends in and out. Tightest spot width ways (1570mm) is at the C pillar where the fixing for part of the rear seat belt mounting (minibus and crew cab versions) intrudes. I bent and hammered back as far as possible in my van but the C pillar itself narrows the width down to1585mm.
Trafic O'S C Pillar.jpgVivaro Load Compartment, H1, L1 & L2 vans.JPG

mistericeman

Forum Member
Each to their own, but I don't really get the attraction of a transverse bed UNLESS it is for a single bed width. You end up saving not that much space and if two people are sleeping it is inconvenient for one of you.
I fitted a standard double (135cm X 190cm) bed in my van with side shelves either side from bed to windows to give extra elbow room, places to put drinks, glasses, books, phones, etc.
Works very well and I don't think I would turn it round if the van was wider.

Same here transverse bed is frankly a pain with it always seeming to be that one has to camber over the other to get out...

It's why I built the one in our old transit lengthways to take a decent double mattress.

Much more practical in many ways than the over cab transverse in our current motorhome.
20170508_191453.jpg

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Same here transverse bed is frankly a pain with it always seeming to be that one has to camber over the other to get out...

It's why I built the one in our old transit lengthways to take a decent double mattress.

Much more practical in many ways than the over cab transverse in our current motorhome. View attachment 4240
I actually like being clambered over, it's the nearest I get to intimacy ;)

Deleted member 12559

I've owned the same van for about 27 years (MB Vario type PVC). Over the years I've had to adapt the interior
to suit changing requirements. Originally it was rear transverse bed over garage for large m/bike, then it was
2 singles at rear with light M/bike on rear rack.
Now it's front single beds, which after a fair bit of faff can be made into a double. A heavy price to pay so as
to maintain rear barn door access and still carry M/bike on the rack.
Thankful that I constructed the van interior to be relatively easy to rearrange, kind of modular construction,
at least that's what I call it.
CIMG0464.JPG
CIMG0473.JPG
photos 2010-11 103.jpg

Tookey

Forum Member
I've owned the same van for about 27 years (MB Vario type PVC). Over the years I've had to adapt the interior
to suit changing requirements. Originally it was rear transverse bed over garage for large m/bike, then it was
2 singles at rear with light M/bike on rear rack.
Now it's front single beds, which after a fair bit of faff can be made into a double. A heavy price to pay so as
to maintain rear barn door access and still carry M/bike on the rack.
Thankful that I constructed the van interior to be relatively easy to rearrange, kind of modular construction,
at least that's what I call it.View attachment 4247View attachment 4248View attachment 4249
Any piccys of the van? Really like Varios

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)