Adhesives

StreetSleeper

Forum Member
OK, I've got to get this one right. In the very near future I shall be sticking the brackets of my solar panel to the roof of the van so I really need to get it right first time, what is the correct adhesive to use? Thank you in anticipation.

Rae & Ann

Tezza33

Forum Member
Cornflakes, soaked overnight in milk and allowed to dry then it needs chiselling off, failing that I used Sikaflex 252 on mine

oppy

Sikaflex 512

What he said, but-----------------------make sure that you thoroughly clean the bit of roof, lightly abrade the contact points, pop a couple of matchsticks where each pad is to be placed ( that'll give you enough adhesive to hold it all together) squirt a load of bog onto the panel pads and some onto the roof, then gently place the two together and wiggle them a bit to ensure a good bond, wipe away the surplus (unless you are as lazy as me !!!), and it's fitted. Unless the weather is really cold, 24 hours later at this time of the year, your panel is well and truly stuck. (if its really cold or frosty, you'll need to double the waiting time) I fitted mine in November and its not flown off yet :D:D:D

Deleted member 2572

If it's a British van don't stick anything on the roof !
You'll need to be able to see where the water is getting in sooner or later :lol-049::lol-049:

The laird

Forum Member
Hi Rae ,sikoflex for me when running the pug dealership we used it for all the sp body kits and various other body styling accessories,never ,never had any hassle using it as said surfaces must be cleaned .
Hope this helps
Regards Gordon

Deleted member 2572

Hi Rae ,sikoflex for me when running the pug dealership we used it for all the sp body kits and various other body styling accessories,never ,never had any hassle using it as said surfaces must be cleaned .
Hope this helps
Regards Gordon

They do a proper primer but I just masked it up lightly sanded and then cleaned with solvent.

n brown

Forum Member
sikaflex if you don't mind paying through the nose for the name .
Stixall from Toolstation is what self- builders use , does the same job a lot cheaper

StreetSleeper

Forum Member
Normally I would reply to you all individually but, in this case, because of the sheer amount of feedback you'll have to accept my apology and I'll answer with one reply. Well, where can I start? 512 seems to be the favourite, a tad expensive but, if it does the job, then all fine and well. Then we have the less expensive, and quite a considerable saving, but my favourite has to be Terry and his cornflakes; I fully understand where you're coming from. I have devoted the best part of today reading about how to stick a solar panel on a motorhome roof and what to use and I have to say, in all honesty, I still feel the need to drill the roof and drop four bolts through with large washers; just in case, as well as using adhesive.
Nige, very good option, the same has to be said about witzend's suggestion. Gogsy, I'm off to bed now, not sure if I'll get to sleep with that great big pile of money hidden under the mattress :lol-049:

Rae & Ann

Deleted member 1540

Considering the cost of the items to be attached to the roof, saving a few bob on the adhesive seems a bit silly ...

'Don't spoil the ship for a ha'p'orth of tar'

My panels were professionally installed using 512 - the installer also used four screw fixings per panel as belt and braces. These were sealed with the 512 with a dollop over the top of the screws as well.

n brown

Forum Member
i fixed my large and heavy 220 w panel with 6 of 3x2'' pieces of ally angle , glued with stixall and 2 roofing bolts per bracket .when i had to move it to the new van i undid the bolts but gave up trying to get the ally off and had to cut the brackets to get the panels off. this hurt as that angle isn't cheap !
i would be wary of using either glue with plastic brackets. a number of people have stuck down rooflights, and when they've leaked , have found the adhesive hasn't adhered to the plastic at all !

RoaminRog

I used RV61 adhesive on my plastic brackets. Very similar to Sikalex 512 but stays whiter longer, I know that doesn't really matter on a roof, but I needed it for other things as well.
Most important, remember you MUST have a thickness. At very minimum you must have perhaps a matchstick as a spacer. There will be no strength at all if you just press the two surfaces tightly together.
I cannot emphasise enough the importance of the thickness. 2 - 4mm
You know how large my SP is, (I could have used it as a carport) but it is ONLY held on with RV61, no holes screws, bolts or anything else.
Give it your best shot!

winks

With regard to the thickness of the adhesive, I used cocktail sticks (without the cherries).

Cheers

H

Livotlout

Rae,

Whilst you are at Toolstation buying the Stixall, purchase a can of Foam Cleaner - code30658 . This is spray on Acetone cleaner, one of the main components in Sikaflex Primer.
This will make a perfect job of cleaning the abraded paintwork of roof and ali. brackets. Worth having holes or slots in ali. brackets so that Stixall oozes through and may be 'mushroomed over' to give even more hold from above.

Alec.

StreetSleeper

Forum Member
Thanks once again for your greatly received input, a few more options on what type of adhesive to use. I still haven't made up my mind yet, this is no reflection on people's opinions as I think they are all very valid. Hopefully my middle brackets will arrive tomorrow and so I can spend some time making them fit.

Rae & Ann

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)