Adhesives

bedonwheels

Which Glue?

OK, I've got to get this one right. In the very near future I shall be sticking the brackets of my solar panel to the roof of the van so I really need to get it right first time, what is the correct adhesive to use? Thank you in anticipation.

Rae & Ann

Sikaflex 512 is darn good, I've also used Fixall. I once tried to remove a roof cross member I'd Sikaflexed in position a few years earlier. Using a crowbar the best I could do was bend it out of shape... couldn't break the bond at all!

channa

I have used Sikaflex and Tiger Seal, both products used back in the day for attaching body spoilers , bonding screens, Tigerseal a bit cheaper doesn't trade on its name,,,,but both products are good. Reasonable bead and additional drilling is not necessary,

Channa

chrismilo

OK, I've got to get this one right. In the very near future I shall be sticking the brackets of my solar panel to the roof of the van so I really need to get it right first time, what is the correct adhesive to use? Thank you in anticipation.

Rae & Ann

Sounds like its a stick up:lol-049::lol-049:

wildebus

Forum Member
Sounds an obvious point, but if sticking down the brackets, make sure you can access the bracket-to-panel fixings to be able to remove & service the panel without too much hassle :)

bobj808

+1 for Sikaflex - I've stuck a 3.1 metre aluminium awning rail on to our mh immediately below the Fiamma wind out to take our Kampa Air Pro. No screws in it. No roughing of the surface. Just cleaned the mounting area with some meths and stuck it on. Took around a minute of holding it in place, although probably didn't need to. Awning has been up in some pretty strong winds with no worries. Probably other brands that would maybe do as well but Sikaflex is the business. Trust it - you don't need to drill any holes in your roof for bolts. I used Sticks Like Sh*t on skirting boards in my house and was surprised (but pleased) how easy the bond broke using a spugel. Can safely say that Sikaflex would have ripped the plaster off before the bond ever broke. it's only around £11 so can't think why someone would consider saving a few quid on a proprietory brand unless they are alarmingly skint. It's not like you need dozen of tubes, you'll hardly use any. Bob.

hairydog

Can safely say that Sikaflex would have ripped the plaster off before the bond ever broke.
Years ago, a Tracker installer was telling me about installing them in construction plant. He sticks them in with Sikaflex, which is fine until they have to be removed. He reckons the glue is so good that you can't get it off 1/4" steel plate without buckling the plate.
Which is a thing to consider: will you ever want to remove it?

Admin1

I use CT1. I use it because it was recommended to me by Bimble Solar. Bimble only sell CT1 for the installation of panels and they said that all their solar installers use it. I did some research and found that it was impressive stuff!

[video=youtube;wIh4JJl25xY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIh4JJl25xY[/video]

time4t

I use CT1. I use it because it was recommended to me by Bimble Solar. Bimble only sell CT1 for the installation of panels and they said that all their solar installers use it. I did some research and found that it was impressive stuff!

[video=youtube;wIh4JJl25xY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIh4JJl25xY[/video]
I've used CT1 on a few outside things one of which was sealing my windows, I used clear because I was told that it was the only one that stays clear.
It did the job very well at first, but has after 2 years gone like jelly with splits in, so i'm now having to remove this sticky mess from my windows & reseal with sika 29i, which has replaced 291. I'm using white this time because I'm not taking the chance that the clear one will go the same way as the CT1 did.

The clear stixall that I tried seems to be going the same way!!

Phill

Deleted member 951

I also ordered some when Rae put me onto it.

They also do a product called WT1 for sealing roofs/floors etc. It is expensive stuff, but I reckon it would be great for sealing seams or around rooflights on motorhome roofs.

YouTube

Last edited by a moderator:

n brown

Forum Member
i've seen quite a lot of moans about clear Stixall, used it once and wasn't impressed , but the black and the white are fine

Deleted member 951

I've used CT1 on a few outside things one of which was sealing my windows, I used clear because I was told that it was the only one that stays clear.
It did the job very well at first, but has after 2 years gone like jelly with splits in, so i'm now having to remove this sticky mess from my windows & reseal with sika 29i, which has replaced 291. I'm using white this time because I'm not taking the chance that the clear one will go the same way as the CT1 did.

The clear stixall that I tried seems to be going the same way!!

Phill

I would add to that Phill, reading the reviews on CT1, the white apparently discolours very quickly, so maybe not so good for sealing around vents etc. on the side of the van.

I've ordered the black, so hopefully it will perform better than the white or the clear!

Mick H

In June 2013, Sika aquired Everbuild, the manufacturers of Stixall.
BOTH products are now manufactured by the same group, so, it doesn't matter which of these brands that you use, apart from the cost.

time4t

In June 2013, Sika aquired Everbuild, the manufacturers of Stixall.
BOTH products are now manufactured by the same group, so, it doesn't matter which of these brands that you use, apart from the cost.

I have run a bead of clear stixall outside to test whether it'll deteriorate over the year, so far it's ok but feels a little more tacky than a week after it was first applied which was 5 months ago.

So my advice is don't use any clear stuff outside!

Phill

Deleted member 951

I have run a bead of clear stixall outside to test whether it'll deteriorate over the year, so far it's ok but feels a little more tacky than a week after it was first applied which was 5 months ago.

So my advice is don't use any clear stuff outside!

Phill

I wonder if it is something to do with sunlight penetrating through the clear stuff?

harrow

Forum Member
I also ordered some when Rae put me onto it.

They also do a product called WT1 for sealing roofs/floors etc. It is expensive stuff, but I reckon it would be great for sealing seams or around rooflights on motorhome roofs.

YouTube

Watching that video, WT1 looks like magic stuff !

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)