what to write with pics and logbook for dvla

big tree

Hello,

Sorry I have asked this question on another thread, should have asked from fresh,

I'm ready to send my pic's in to DVLA, I have seen somewhere a letter you can print or copy to accompany the log book & pictures.
If possible could some one put a link to the letter or an idea of what to write.
Thanks.

trevskoda

Forum Member
Just a letter saying you wish to change log book to motorcaravan and thats it as long as it meets the requirements,good luck.

hextal

No specific format needed. Just header it as with a normal letter, say you have converted it and want it reclassified as a motor caravan as you have fulfilled all of the requirements set out by the dvla (or whatever they are called now).

Then pics to show all of these things have been met, along with a couple of external shots. Make sure to get one with the rear door open so that you can see the reg and the inside (if that makes sense). Or failing that something that demonstrates that you're not just showing pics of the insides of someone else's van.

I added a few lines of text to each photo just to talk through the specifics.

Work on the basis that they want a simple life and don't want to have to work out if you've met the criteria.

trevskoda

Forum Member
No specific format needed. Just header it as with a normal letter, say you have converted it and want it reclassified as a motor caravan as you have fulfilled all of the requirements set out by the dvla (or whatever they are called now).

Then pics to show all of these things have been met, along with a couple of external shots. Make sure to get one with the rear door open so that you can see the reg and the inside (if that makes sense). Or failing that something that demonstrates that you're not just showing pics of the insides of someone else's van.

I added a few lines of text to each photo just to talk through the specifics.

Work on the basis that they want a simple life and don't want to have to work out if you've met the criteria.
And show the number plate with one back open.

n brown

Forum Member
i send 6 pics -1 side view showing van type, 1 rear showing reg and interior,1 with side door open showing interior, 3 interior

dear sir/madam
as you can see from the pics i have converted this vehicle to a motor caravan. i would be grateful if you could change the V5 to reflect this change
yours etc

this contains all the info they need without boring them to death

big tree

I've got 9 to send, side & front with reg showing, rear door with reg & interior showing, hob & sink, bunk, table, cupboards & seating etc,

should hopefully do the job.

Anne Daynes

Hello,

Sorry I have asked this question on another thread, should have asked from fresh,

I'm ready to send my pic's in to DVLA, I have seen somewhere a letter you can print or copy to accompany the log book & pictures.
If possible could some one put a link to the letter or an idea of what to write.
Thanks.

if you skrol down the page you will see my pot nice mr DVLA and if you click on the flickr tag you will see the photos I used , in the letter I just asked for the change to the V5 as I had done (and listed what I had done that wasnt in the photos like under slung water fresh and waste tanks and left it at that and it came back all sorted

badgerdid

You might come across some problems with the size of the garage at the back, they may say it can still be used to carry goods. I knoiw on the self build forum they advised to not have a big garage at the back, but you may be ok, just pre warning.

FULL TIMER

You might come across some problems with the size of the garage at the back, they may say it can still be used to carry goods. I knoiw on the self build forum they advised to not have a big garage at the back, but you may be ok, just pre warning.

I agree you may be very lucky and get it through but if you mot on a class 4 as a motor caravan there could be problems if you get stopped with a motorbike or other goods not necessary for camping on board especially if over 3.5 ton, its still a bit of a grey area but I have heard of at least two truck conversions being stopped and checked that were carrying race bikes and race cars luckily for them both knew the law and were legal

hextal

As others have said, The size of that garage may be an issue. It looks to be a race van as opposed to a motorhome and people tend to have problems with them.

Any way of subtly masking the size of the garage?

Polar Bear

Forum Member
Be careful they don't class it as a living van.

Quote; A ‘living van’ is defined in the European Communities (Vehicle Testing)
(Amendment) Regulations 2012 as follows.
‘living van’ means a vehicle, whether mechanically propelled or not, which is
used as living accommodation by one or more persons and which is also used
for the carriage of goods or burden (including livestock and more than one
motor cycle) which are not needed by such one or more persons for the
purpose of their residence in the vehicle;”
For the purposes of undergoing periodic road worthiness testing, living vans
will be tested as goods vehicles and the test fees applicable will be those that
apply to goods vehicles.
Taken from.
http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Vehicle Testing/Motor Caravan Testing/FAQ - motor caravan testing.pdf

n brown

Forum Member
i hope no-one is suggesting that you furnish the load space like a bedroom ,complete with made up bed and some shelves !

although it did once work for me.i had to mot the van at a HGV garage, the tester found it odd that the rear bedroom had no access to the front living area, but i explained it was for my 13 year old son , and legally we had to take him with us, but none of us liked him

Deleted member 951

I would be tempted to fill the space with an aqua roll and a portaloo and other such camping related stuff before photographing.

karlpe

I sent a pic of all the criteria needed to meet dvla requirements with a note on each pic explaining exactly its function. you really need reg number and pic of your van. Also if you have gas cooking show a gas locker or outside gas entry point.
As for garage, don't send pic of it, not required so why bother. Just show what they ask to see, not what they don't.
Enclose a letter say you want to register it as motorhome and cross fingers.
Good luck.

hextal

Having converted my own and got to know others who have done similar, I'm aware of a number that have had problems with the dvla due to the large garages associated with 'race vans'.

Now it may be that things have changed, or that their conversions were reviewed by particularly awkward staff, but it has certainly been a common issue.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)