What are the most important items needed in a campervan

Fazerloz

In relation to your comments about your girlfriend using the toilet, (which I hope you have shared with her), you can eliminate smells in your toilet compartment by fitting a SOG system. This also means that you do not have to use chemicals to stop the toilet smelling which is much better for the environment and cheaper in the long run. Some people on this forum have the in my view erroneous opinion that SOG systems suck smells to the outside of the van. So long as the appropriate filter is fitted and changed at the first sniff of external smells there should be no problem in this respect. Please see: What is a SOG ? - SOG Toilet Kits, SOG Systems

If only people would change the filters. I've spoken to people with SOG units that didn't even know there was a filter.

colinmd

There are a few things that are required for it to be registered as a motor caravan. So they are on the "must have" list. Some converters struggle with the requirement of the length of bad, which is silly. The length can be measured corner to corner, like a TV screen, because 'length' is not defined on the rules.

The requirement is for a 6ft bed, I'm far from being tall and even that is tight for me, trying to 'bend' the rules on this is not a good idea IMO.

Deleted member 951

The requirement is for a 6ft bed, I'm far from being tall and even that is tight for me, trying to 'bend' the rules on this is not a good idea IMO.

Agreed.

I wouldn't want to piss em off, that gets you nowhere fast.

alcam

In relation to your comments about your girlfriend using the toilet, (which I hope you have shared with her), you can eliminate smells in your toilet compartment by fitting a SOG system. This also means that you do not have to use chemicals to stop the toilet smelling which is much better for the environment and cheaper in the long run. Some people on this forum have the in my view erroneous opinion that SOG systems suck smells to the outside of the van. So long as the appropriate filter is fitted and changed at the first sniff of external smells there should be no problem in this respect. Please see: What is a SOG ? - SOG Toilet Kits, SOG Systems

Unless of course he changes his girlfriend ?

Seriously , can give no tips about building , but priority , for me , is to be virtually self sufficient .
Toilet , shower , cooker , solar panels , big batteries etc .

REC

Forum Member
A safe place for the scotch is a must

And, from experience, it is NOT tucked in under the bed near the rear doors! We arrived at our place opened the doors and lost a litre of good brandy which rolled out and smashed ? . I will never be allowed to forget that one!

hairydog

If only people would change the filters. I've spoken to people with SOG units that didn't even know there was a filter.
The filter in a SOG is pathetic. It is about 5mm thick and three inches by four. It could not possibly do anything useful, even if it were a proper charcoal filter, rather than a charcoal-impregnated bit of foam rubber.

hairydog

Yes, a bed that isn't long enough is not much use, but measuring diagonally isn't bending the rules. It is following them. Many camper converters struggle needlessly to get a 6' long rectangle, which is not required by the rules.

colinmd

Yes, a bed that isn't long enough is not much use, but measuring diagonally isn't bending the rules. It is following them. Many camper converters struggle needlessly to get a 6' long rectangle, which is not required by the rules.

It would depend on the van, but I easily fitted a 4'6"x 6'3" bed in a T25 with plenty of other storage, if it's a bigger van and still a struggle someone's doing it wrong.

Deleted member 951

If they inspected your van (which they do sometimes) and you used the argument that the length is corner to corner, they would think you were some kind of idiot and make you rebuild the bed.

Why wind them up and make life difficult for yourself? They can, and do refuse applications.

Fetasvanstudio

Hello,

Lots of different opinions on this one. It was helpful to to me choose 3 top objectives for the van build. On this one it was to have a woodburner, comfy bed and good storage. I did end up having enough room for a composting loo and that has been amazing, wouldn't do without one now.

Best of luck,
Feta

Fetasvanstudio

And, from experience, it is NOT tucked in under the bed near the rear doors! We arrived at our place opened the doors and lost a litre of good brandy which rolled out and smashed ? . I will never be allowed to forget that one!

Nooooooo! Will take this on board - maybe a 'scotch holster' in the wardrobe. :king:

Use this so at least the 'cooks nips' are safe. View attachment 59699

Cheers,
Feta

Pauljenny

Depends on how you plan to use it.
Odd weekends, in really wild places,or always on campsites, means you only need a tin tent, with just the basics and not much storage.
Anything more complicated than that, is a horse of a different feather..
Don't forget to pack a sense of humour and a larger size one for your partner.

jann

If you are going to wild camp, you need a toilet.You couldnt manage at home without one.Also need a comfortable bed. I wouldn't be without an oven but you can manage with hotplate and grill.if you want to be away from towns for several days you need a fridge.A water tank means you aren't permanently searching for water.A small waste water tank is useful,it doesn't need to be as big as the fresh water tank which is what a lot of converters think.

Pauljenny

If you are going to wild camp, you need a toilet.You couldnt manage at home without one.Also need a comfortable bed. I wouldn't be without an oven but you can manage with hotplate and grill.if you want to be away from towns for several days you need a fridge.A water tank means you aren't permanently searching for water.A small waste water tank is useful,it doesn't need to be as big as the fresh water tank which is what a lot of converters think.

The voice of experience!:bow:

peter palance

what what

There's no one size fits all,it completely depends on how you use your camper,but for me a toilet is an absolute minimum requirement. You might change your mind after having to venture outside at stupid o'clock on a freezing night to do your business,and relying on public toilets can be hit and miss...in fact I'd rather book a holiday to Chernobyl than go without a loo.

whats all this about foren ho he parts a quicky in sa cold you soon come to life be happy pj

suneye

Forum Member
Good sized comfy bed (fixed for us), a loo and sink, hob, light and heat and storage. A shower would be lovely but think about space, cost and weight of water needed as well as having to heat the water. Whilst its nice to have a shower you can get clean without one and it saves a lot of space and money not to have one.

colinmd

A shower would be lovely but think about space, cost and weight of water needed as well as having to heat the water. Whilst its nice to have a shower you can get clean without one and it saves a lot of space and money not to have one.

One of the best things about our Campscout is the shower in the middle of van, when in use is one of the biggest in a main stream PVC, when not in use is part of floor. If used as a shower then the showerhead is trigger operated so as to use least amount of water, or can use the shower 'cubicle' but have a flannel wash without worrying about splashing water.
Not for everyone, but we rate it very highly.

n brown

Forum Member
our latest van is a mwb sprinter. i'm not into sites , so i carry as much water as i can, have 2x 115a batteries and a 230watt solar panel. we always had woodburners but now i'm too lazy and have a propex. never seen a need for a water heater, we use a kettle. we have a fridge in this one but even in hot countries didn't always have one , they cost a lot of gas
i built a 'room' 70x 90 behind the driver seat, gloss painted and a vinyl floor with a basin drain. very useful cupboard . holds the porta loo and can be used as a shower
first van without an oven and we're missing it !
never measured a bed ,but i don't mind a chat with dvla as i always understood their guide to be exactly that- a guide
to turn my loo into a shower involves pouring a kettle full of hot water into a 10 ltr container , adding cold to suit , then dropping in a pump attached to a bit of pipe and a shower head

Jncrowe

Loo disguise......

Have you heard of a BuddyBox They are on Facebook and started out as a portapotty disguise

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)