Well I’ve gone & bought our next van.. although it’s not a van yet!

Darcar

Forum Member
Looking good, very interested to know how you set up that trestle your standing on, it would seem to be quite safe with you standing on it but photos of course are static. 😁 Phil
It’s a bodge really! I’ve just screwed a couple bits of wood to the sleepers as stoppers and then lashed the ladders to them! !
I’m very good with rope and lashing, even if I do say so myself.

RV2MAX

Forum Member
Have you looked into law regarding notifiable alteration , as its a hgv and body type will most likely need to be changed before you can get change to motorcaravan ?

Darcar

Forum Member
Have you looked into law regarding notifiable alteration , as its a hgv and body type will most likely need to be changed before you can get change to motorcaravan
No I’ve not looked into changing the body type… I don’t think I’ll even bother trying to have the dvla reclassify it…. Although il inform them..

Millie Master

Forum Member
No I’ve not looked into changing the body type… I don’t think I’ll even bother trying to have the dvla reclassify it…. Although il inform them..

It's not very often Darren that I disagree with your thoughts but on this one I do!

Phil

Millie Master

Forum Member
I think you will find that as its HGV and subject to plating and testing you dont have the option of ignoring a change of body type ?
Let alone the significant reductions in insurance and international ferry or tunnel charges if the amazing machine is correctly registered.

HTF

Forum Member
Let alone the significant reductions in insurance and international ferry or tunnel charges if the amazing machine is correctly registered.
Unfortunately, over here, the ferry that crosses the river just 300m from my house will charge me almost double the price just because my van is a camper. When I want to go to the beach on the Peninsula, I drive around the 70Km to get there :mad:

Light-duty passenger, goods and dual use vehicles up to 3.500 kg (gross weight) - includes driver - 19,60€

Previous class with caravan, trailer or Autocaravan/Motorhome - includes driver - 31,80€
Heavy-duty goods or passenger vehicles - includes driver - 31,80€

Darcar

Forum Member
It's not very often Darren that I disagree with your thoughts but on this one I do!

Phil
I’ve always applied to the dvla for our conversation to be regarded as a motor caravan, but it’s such a lottery whether they will or won’t!.
I’ll do the same with this one... but it doesn’t matter to me what the dvla want to call it!
I build it to what works for us I’m certainly not jumping through hoops to comply with their requirements...
Don’t get me wrong I’ll stay inside the law, there’s no way I want to have to worry about being pulled.
Cheers Darren

Darcar

Forum Member
I think you will find that as its HGV and subject to plating and testing you dont have the option of ignoring a change of body type ?
Tbh... it’s the first time I’ve actually built a body onto a flatbed truck.
I don’t know what the procedure is!
I was simply going to mot as a Motorhome, class4 then send the dvla the application to change the v5 to the same. It will be taxed as PHGV.

I assumed that as a private vehicle I don’t have to plate it? Am I wrong?
Thanks for raising this it’s something I had no idea of 🤦🏼‍♂️..
cheers Darren..

Millie Master

Forum Member
Thanks for raising this it’s something I had no idea of 🤦🏼‍♂️..
cheers Darren..

Darren you me and no doubt the vast majority of us are of the same opinion, all I do know is that it is a bloody stupid minefield out there about which next to no one is likely to know the answer!!

And that is the great thing about our exchanging of views and thoughts, there will be some snippetts that might be worthwhie considering or at the very least thought provoking.

Phil

RV2MAX

Forum Member
DVLA will only consider changing the body type to motor caravan if the body type shown on your V5C registration certificate (log book) is currently one of the following:

• ambulance
  • box van
  • goods
  • insulated van
  • light goods
  • light van
  • livestock carrier
  • Luton van
  • minibus
  • MPV (multi-purpose vehicle)
  • panel van
  • specially fitted van
  • special mobile unit
  • van with side windows

If the vehicle’s body type as shown on your V5C (log book) under vehicle details point D.5 is not one of these, do not send in your application as DVLA will not process it.

all from Gov website.
If its still on the system as a HGV, other than being a motor caravan , then you might have problems trying to get them to accept a class 4 mot
for tax purposes. HTSH :)

Darcar

Forum Member
DVLA will only consider changing the body type to motor caravan if the body type shown on your V5C registration certificate (log book) is currently one of the following:

• ambulance
  • box van
  • goods
  • insulated van
  • light goods
  • light van
  • livestock carrier
  • Luton van
  • minibus
  • MPV (multi-purpose vehicle)
  • panel van
  • specially fitted van
  • special mobile unit
  • van with side windows

If the vehicle’s body type as shown on your V5C (log book) under vehicle details point D.5 is not one of these, do not send in your application as DVLA will not process it.

all from Gov website.
If its still on the system as a HGV, other than being a motor caravan , then you might have problems trying to get them to accept a class 4 mot
for tax purposes. HTSH :)
Thanks again for this.. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yes it’s still a HGV, however I’m under the impression that it’s got to be mot,ed as presented! i.e. class 4 , Although we are currently on ” sorn “ then I’d tax it PLG.

Our logbook calls it a “ drop side body “ obviously I’ve removed the drop side body and fitted a box, albeit now converted into a camper.

So do I apply to change the body type to a box body or luton, before then applying again to change it to a motor caravan? Or can I just do it all in one application?
The bloody DVLA are a law unto themselves.. almost impossible to understand!
Thanks Darren

Millie Master

Forum Member
If it were me, I would do as I did when going through the DVLA saga, namely, I produced a very detailed high quality booklet in full colour which showed approx. 30 images of the build at various stages of the construction along with a detailed spread sheet showing the costs.

This I then perfect bound to make a very professional and comprehensive brochure complete with a suitable cover. I produced several copies of this manuscript, one for the DVLA and a further one for sending to my insurance company for a concise valuation.

I do know that over the years I have seen and heard of fag packet types of application to the DVLA which quite understandably result in their refusal, whereas on the other hand those that are serious quite, often meet with a far better response.

Phil

Darcar

Forum Member
We’re making progress… maybe slow but we’re definitely making progress..

Attachments

• IMG_1420.jpeg
    IMG_1420.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1346.jpeg
    IMG_1346.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1355.jpeg
    IMG_1355.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1356.jpeg
    IMG_1356.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_1360.jpeg
    IMG_1360.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1368.jpeg
    IMG_1368.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1372.jpeg
    IMG_1372.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1373.jpeg
    IMG_1373.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1384.jpeg
    IMG_1384.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1385.jpeg
    IMG_1385.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1395.jpeg
    IMG_1395.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1401.jpeg
    IMG_1401.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1405.jpeg
    IMG_1405.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 87
  • IMG_1403.jpeg
    IMG_1403.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_1407.jpeg
    IMG_1407.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 74
  • IMG_1409.jpeg
    IMG_1409.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1415.jpeg
    IMG_1415.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1421.jpeg
    IMG_1421.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1422.jpeg
    IMG_1422.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1463.jpeg
    IMG_1463.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_1474.jpeg
    IMG_1474.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1485.jpeg
    IMG_1485.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1487.jpeg
    IMG_1487.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 91
  • IMG_1488.jpeg
    IMG_1488.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1489.jpeg
    IMG_1489.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1491.jpeg
    IMG_1491.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 91

Darcar

Forum Member
Finished the shower tray now very happy with the result.
The fibreglass was quite easy to do and the flow coat finishes it nicely.

Attachments

• 79AE5361-31B5-42E7-9AFC-7F8E56B212FE.jpeg
    79AE5361-31B5-42E7-9AFC-7F8E56B212FE.jpeg
    813.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 9E70C4AB-76A4-4B14-A037-70C381E1D778.jpeg
    9E70C4AB-76A4-4B14-A037-70C381E1D778.jpeg
    667.2 KB · Views: 72
  • 966B773C-8F52-40FC-86C5-C96D3C48FA35.jpeg
    966B773C-8F52-40FC-86C5-C96D3C48FA35.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 72
  • 142CB112-5A15-4D67-AAC0-C90AAD74E5A8.jpeg
    142CB112-5A15-4D67-AAC0-C90AAD74E5A8.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 76

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Thanks again for this.. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yes it’s still a HGV, however I’m under the impression that it’s got to be mot,ed as presented! i.e. class 4 , Although we are currently on ” sorn “ then I’d tax it PLG.

Our logbook calls it a “ drop side body “ obviously I’ve removed the drop side body and fitted a box, albeit now converted into a camper.

So do I apply to change the body type to a box body or luton, before then applying again to change it to a motor caravan? Or can I just do it all in one application?
The bloody DVLA are a law unto themselves.. almost impossible to understand!
Thanks Darren
What ever you do I think you will end up with it being PHGV. As it was originally type approved that way.
With my coaches I've never bothered. The LHE Merc is sold now, but I still have the Cheetah under conversion.
It's insured as a Motorhome even now, but not allowed on the road until it is finished (enough) and MOT'd then Taxed.
It will be taxed as a coach. I think after 20 years of doing this, if there was a problem my door would be knocked upon.
The duty is a little more, but so be it. Don't kick the sleeping dog.

Mark

trevskoda

Forum Member
The aluminium sheeting is glued & riveted to the steel box. It’s overlapped on each joint so there is a step on all the joints. I’ve run a beed of sikaflex down each seem which has smoothed this out somewhat.
we‘re still not sure whether we’re going to wrap the entire thing or paint it?
The aluminium would be too shiny just to leave or polish… it’s blinding now in the sun. That’s why I’ve left the plastic covering on…
As soon as the weather allows I’m going to brush paint the roof in a light colour, to see how that goes!
cheers Darren..
REmember if you put alloy next to steel the galvanic problems will happen, the alloy will disolve as the electrons flow from alloy to steel, you have made a battery, same with alloy rivets to steel, the frame should have been 316 stainless.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)