Well I’ve gone & bought our next van.. although it’s not a van yet!

Darcar

Forum Member
So today we bought our new vehicle.
it’s a 2018 iveco daily 70-180. EX-Traffic management vehicle ( cone collector). with 75k miles auto,
my plan is to build a body onto it! Anyone ever done this ill be needing plenty of advice!
we are very happy with it so far. Drives very nice the deck is all plastic! & seems very clean underneath.
so the building starts now.. 👍🚍🤞👌

Attachments

• IMG_0041.jpeg
    IMG_0041.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 194
  • IMG_0039.jpeg
    IMG_0039.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 172
  • IMG_0033.jpeg
    IMG_0033.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 160
  • IMG_0020.jpeg
    IMG_0020.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 143
  • IMG_0600.png
    IMG_0600.png
    7.8 MB · Views: 147

Millie Master

Forum Member
A brilliant vehicle, but my gaud that is one hell of a self building project, good luck to you and yours...........

@Squiffy or @Pudsey Bear might remember the sadly deceased members name who was a very regular and exceptionally gifted self builder when we were all on diymotorhome, he built several trailers in which to transport his static engines etc., as well as being used for his own accommodation that he used to tow behind his trusted Discovery.

He used to start with a good strong chassis and then build up from there using special thermally bonded panels.

I hope they can recall his name, because, if the information still exists, it could help you quite considerably.

Phil

Last edited:

Darcar

Forum Member
A brilliant vehicle, but my gaud that is one hell of a self building project, good luck to you and yours...........

@ Squiffy or @Pudsey might remember the sadly deceased members name who was a very regular and exceptionally gifted self builder when we were all on diymotorhome, he built several trailers in which to transport his static engines etc., as well as being used for his own accommodation that he used to tow behind his trusted Discovery.

He used to start with a good strong chassis and then build up from there using special thermally bonded panels.

I hope they can recall his name, because, if the information still exists, it could help you quite considerably.

Phil
Morning Phil.

You’re referring to Peter, went by the screen name Lister Diesel... & yes he certainly was a very helpful person. I’ve saw his trailer builds on the old forum.

We’re planning on some similar, although theses days you can buy the GRP insulated panels fairy easy & with the aluminium corner pieces I’m hoping that it’s just as easy as it sounds 🤷🏻‍♂️.

Pudsey Bear

Forum Member
Lord knows how much Peter spent on the trailers, as they were engineered to carry quite heavy loads, sadly most of the pictures have vanished, why do forums do that, storage is cheap, just put a link in it's place.

mark61

Forum Member
Great looking truck and what a great project. As close as you'll ever get to starting with a completely clean sheet.

trevskoda

Forum Member
Build an alloy frame and attach alloy or GRP panels to it, my iveco bus is built this way.
If making a floor then use sealed fiber board and insulate before fitting a top skin, good luck.

Pudsey Bear

Forum Member
Some modern stuph.

This one below might be more useful for the floor, I think this is the size that Peter used, but I think you can get 12 foot lengths not sure of max width, a truck building shop would have a better idea, that's where he got a lot of info on parts to use, AALCO was his supplier for aluminium extrusions for joints corners as caps.

Darcar

Forum Member
Build an alloy frame and attach alloy or GRP panels to it, my iveco bus is built this way.
If making a floor then use sealed fiber board and insulate before fitting a top skin, good luck.
We’re having the body built by a local fabricator in steel then clad in aluminium glued & riveted on.
My main concern is that it end up looking like a luton van.. but I’ve designed the box to look more like a Motorhome! Hopefully…

Darcar

Forum Member
Some modern stuph.

This one below might be more useful for the floor, I think this is the size that Peter used, but I think you can get 12 foot lengths not sure of max width, a truck building shop would have a better idea, that's where he got a lot of info on parts to use, AALCO was his supplier for aluminium extrusions for joints corners as caps.

Cheers for that… the flatbed that’s been built on the iveco is entirely plastic! About 15mm thick. So it’s never going to rust/rot. I’ll insulate the floor on top of the plastic & put down a 15mm ply floor I don’t think I’ll need it to be weatherproof inside the plastic body. 👍

Darcar

Forum Member
Hi guys I’ve had trouble receiving the messages on here! But they have all arrived today!! Haha

Plenty has happened over the last couple of weeks. The bodies frame has been built.. a little heavier than I had intended. But the builder insisted…he’s used 50x50mm box. he’s now started to clad her in aluminium sheets.. I’m hoping to get it home this week! Then the fun really starts.
IMG_0535.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0536.jpeg
    IMG_0536.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0537.jpeg
    IMG_0537.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0636.png
    IMG_0636.png
    10.2 MB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0555.jpeg
    IMG_0555.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0565.png
    IMG_0565.png
    6.2 MB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0639.png
    IMG_0639.png
    9.6 MB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0714.jpeg
    IMG_0714.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0715.jpeg
    IMG_0715.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0717.jpeg
    IMG_0717.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0718.jpeg
    IMG_0718.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0722.jpeg
    IMG_0722.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 156

Darcar

Forum Member
Little update…

we’re cracking on with a few jobs, 1st is sealing the roof panels before painting the roof. Then fitting the rear locker doors, I have raised the back end by 8“ just by cutting an angle into the body. Then tackling the awkward job of cutting the walkway between the cab and box, i‘m going to make up a gasket somehow to seal the 2” gap.
pretty happy with the progress so far.

Attachments

• IMG_0969.jpeg
    IMG_0969.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0964.jpeg
    IMG_0964.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0958.jpeg
    IMG_0958.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0961.jpeg
    IMG_0961.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0938.jpeg
    IMG_0938.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0921.jpeg
    IMG_0921.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 120
  • IMG_0715.jpeg
    IMG_0715.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 108
  • IMG_0924.jpeg
    IMG_0924.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_0916.jpeg
    IMG_0916.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 121

Darcar

Forum Member
View attachment 5755

Works well 👍
Thanks for that.. I wasn’t aware that there was a gasket made to do the job🤷🏼‍♂️ although it wouldn’t work in our situation, as the tin at the back of the van is very ribbed and the front of the box is 13mm plastic!

Anyway iv ordered some neoprene ( wetsuit material ) and I’m going to screw to the wood that I’ve lined the walkthrough with, I’ll leave it loose enough so any movement doesn’t rip it.
i was quite surprised by the amount of movement between the cab & box.

cheers Darren

Attachments

• IMG_0977.jpeg
    IMG_0977.jpeg
    761.8 KB · Views: 142

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)