nissan cabstar camper dvla?

hybridcovers

Forum Member
hello all, new to the site and looked around and found it very interesting!

i have bought a nissan cabstar nt400 pickup truck and i am in the process of building the camper/pod which will be on back of the the truck...the pod will be the type that will have legs on it so it can be removed from the truck when not needed. what will the situation be regards the dvla and having the truck correctly registered?

thanks robert

Deleted member 4404

I agree, best to ask DVLA, but please let us know how you get on and I'd love to see some pics of your project, sounds really interesting. :)

hybridcovers

Forum Member
hi thanks for your replies, i will contact them and see what they say!
nt400.jpg

Millie Master

Forum Member
Now that will be a mind fudging series of questions for the DVLA to answer, I hope your letter lands on the desk of someone with brains rather than a jobsworths!
There are quite a lot of demountable pick up based vehicles around and as such it would be nice to know if there are any members on this forums sister sites, namely Motorhomer and Wild Camping who own one, simply to ask them what their vehicles are classed as on the V5 document.

I notice that on the dreaded facebook that there are quite a few demountable camper groups, however I don't know if many if indeed any participants on these groups are from the UK.

Phil

ps. It sounds like a brilliant project @hybridcovers

hybridcovers

Forum Member
hi at worst the v5 will remain as pickup but due to these trucks being chassis/cab with a load of different variations for use!the dvla says that vehicles need to be able to be recognised by the police...hence new campervan laws..... if they tell me cant change the vehicle type , then at least if i get pulled i will have proof of vehicle type being correct!i am removing the drop sides but leaving the flatbed in place....i am not altering the chassis in any way and payload will be lower than required! it been interesting getting rims and tyres , ive bought a new set of wider steel rims to spec and bought slightly more aggressive tyres which exceed current spec for the truck . the camper will be used for trips to europe and i want to keep things legit as far as the law is concerned.....and yes they aren't the fastest trucks about but im not going traveling to to see how fast i can get to my destination, i have a little orchard portugal where i want to be able to remove the camper part while there and just use the truck flatbed for moving things about!

hybridcovers

Forum Member
the camper has full size shower /cassette toilet, smev cooker /sink, stainless steel units with wooden worktops, dfs leather sofa with fold out double bed which has been modified to keep weight down but looks the part and is super comfy!hot cold water inside and out....side awning, lpg and leisure battery with solar panel on the roof, water and other bits will be mounted under flat bed with quick release fitting. i have 2x larger sliding windows to get from the camper to the cab with ease...there will be a thick foam/rubber infill from the cab to the camper

Millie Master

Forum Member
@hybridcovers there are 3 very important things for you to consider: -

1. Put up loads of photographs of your conversion as.

2. Don't forget building in lots of high efficiency insulation as it is just as important in hot climates as it is in cold.

3. Become a full member and reap the advantages of exchanging travel plans etc. with our friends on Motorhomer & Wild Camping

Phil

Millie Master

Forum Member
hi phil(y)
all three points taken thanks ......the camper/pod is an factory insulated already!

That's good news

One of the reasons I am so very interested in your build is that several of us on here used to very active members of another self building forum (before the great impasse!!) and over there we all had a great friend named Peter who sadly died after a lengthy battle with the dreaded 'C'.

The reason I raise this is because he was a static steam engine fanatic and he built several trailers which not only housed his beloved engines but also which doubled as sleeping/living accommodation as well and I would imagine that the construction techniques he employed for the body will be very similar to yours as yours will be virtually a trailer without axles and wheels.

As for your conversion, if you do have a walk through facility from the cab into the back area, then surely if the interior is made to look like a caravan/motorhome and you have a few decals on the outside then it might just get past the bods at the DVLA, as such if it does have the right appearance then arguably it might be best not to tell them about the demountable capability?

Phil

hybridcovers

Forum Member
hi yes i thought the same regards telling them its detachable .... it may never get removed! i think i need to change the body type to box van or refrigerated van first and not try for caravan/motorhome until this has been updated on the v5 ...according to the new rules if the body type is not one of the type on their list your application will be rejected !!in one breath they say you need to inform them....in the next they say they will reject your application.

Millie Master

Forum Member
You might want to consider putting some kind of curved front to the leading side of the habitation box so as to make it slightly more aerodynamic because otherwise it will hit your fuel consumption for six!

Phil

wildebus

Forum Member
Looks like a great project :)

DLVA have got extremely particular with reassignments to "Motor Caravan" and lots of very 'proper' conversions have been rejected. I would hope yours would be accepted once you are done looking at the plans and a image in my head what it will look like, but when the time comes, don't be disheartened if rejected - you will be in some fine company if that would be any consolation,

hybridcovers

Forum Member
the camper part at the lowest point is about 250mm above the cab roof.... i have a roof rack which is about 200mm high with a wind deflector on the front....the solar panel will sit on the top of the roof rack as a "lid" with hinges when parked so can be tilted....i can store a few bits in the roof rack such as deck chairs etc. so hopefully not too much of an issue with wind....i wont be too dishearten:) if rejected...i wouldn't be breaking any laws by driving around a "pickup" with a habitation box back?!

hybridcovers

Forum Member
hello all, new to the site and looked around and found it very interesting!

i have bought a nissan cabstar nt400 pickup truck and i am in the process of building the camper/pod which will be on back of the the truck...the pod will be the type that will have legs on it so it can be removed from the truck when not needed. what will the situation be regards the dvla and having the truck correctly registered?

thanks robert

hybridcovers

Forum Member
Hello,I fitted the sink/cooker today....there's a 2"gap behind the draws to have all the electric/water/gas accessible, draws are removable and have a good strong key locking system for when driving!i will update as soon as i have the frame/legs completed and mounted onto the flatbed👍

Attachments

• 20200912_213731.jpg
    20200912_213731.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 335

mark61

Forum Member
Hello,I fitted the sink/cooker today....there's a 2"gap behind the draws to have all the electric/water/gas accessible, draws are removable and have a good strong key locking system for when driving!i will update as soon as i have the frame/legs completed and mounted onto the flatbed👍
Looks fantastic. Proper job 👍

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)