Who has the leisure battery system with the highest Voltage setup?

wildebus

Forum Member
Most have 12V, a few have 24V and the odd one or two might even have a 48V system.

Pah, you need a decent voltage level like me :)

1573134806727.png

Ok, the PV voltage is fine, but the battery voltage? Opps!

wildebus

Forum Member
Seems very high to me, highest I have seen mine go to is around 20V
20V? that won't be doing the battery much good! (unless you mean the PV Voltage?)

Not sure where my high value came from. probably a momentaty connection or short when moving cables creating a glitch but obviously not real.

The reality of the my setup is more accurately shown by the BMV history :giggle:
History below is since I reset my BMV after changing the Batteries back in May this year.
1573748947467.png

RAW

Forum Member
If I go to Advanced on VRM for the past month I get this
1573750097745.png

If I go to the console as you suggest I get this
1573750191658.png

Not sure why that is ?

wildebus

Forum Member
If I go to Advanced on VRM for the past month I get this
View attachment 1839
If I go to the console as you suggest I get this
View attachment 1840
Not sure why that is ?
you can scroll down for more items.

Your average discharge seems a bit odd at 0.0Ah. You'd expect that to be somewhere between 0 anf the deepest discharge number, but not actually at either extreme.
This is my screen for that info ...
1573751754418.png

For anyone not familiar with this info from the Victron BMV, a "discharge" is the greatest amount of Ah out the battery used since the last full charge; a "charge cycle" constitutes a drain to around 50% and recharge; and a "full discharge" is the battery going down to Zero SOC (or more likely, the BMV power being removed and the monitor treating it as a reset)

Last edited:

RAW

Forum Member
1573764193645.png

1573764370734.png

1573764458567.png

That's all I seem to get, it's slow as there is Lag. Sylvia is in Garage. Well Outside at Garage so a lot of Power lost from Battery when inside at Garage and now back outside I am getting Solar again

wildebus

Forum Member
Have you had a solar panel connected directly to the battery ever? that can whack the voltage up like that.

RAW

Forum Member
Have you had a solar panel connected directly to the battery ever? that can whack the voltage up like that.
Nope.
I wonder if it could be the route back from the Alternator,I have a positive cable returning from older Battery at front to Newer battery at rear which I leave isolated often but on this occasion, as Van would be parked up for a while, I left the positive open so both batteries could be used to power PI and router kit, though together draw is around 1 Amp max I think.
It has dawned on me that this potentially could throw all the data on the BMV as it is effectively connected to only one battery, the newer one.
It's a bit of a hack really mixing new with old.

wildebus

Forum Member
The fact you have a second 'lesiure' battery connected is not important to a lot of the BMVs info, especially the Voltage. It is not different to the Starter Battery and Alternator being there - when your charge relay is on, you have THREE batteries in place, only one which is "known" by the BMV. the other two are just 12V load/supplies.
You just need to be aware that the SOC calulation and Ahs used from the BMC data is only for the main battery and not the entire system, so is not giving you the full picture.

Reactions: RAW

wildebus

Forum Member
Could it be Alternator maybe that caused the 20V spike though ?
maybe? don't know.

The reason I mentioned the Solar Panel was because there is sometimes a misunderstanding about how they work and are described. It is worrying how many people think that because they have a "12V" panel they can connect it upto the battery directly (although the output Voltage can be upto and in excess of 20V). Just a week ago I saw this on a Motorhomer forum members van he had just bought where the previous owner (the new owner knew it was not right) did just this to to have "the solar charge the battery".

RAW

Forum Member
The reason I mentioned the Solar Panel was because there is sometimes a misunderstanding about how they work and are described. It is worrying how many people think that because they have a "12V" panel they can connect it upto the battery directly
Yes that's true, the Panel I have is a domestic one though and Open Circuit Voltage is around 38V
1573813339815.png

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)