What jobs did you do on your van today?

• Thread starter Deleted member 4404
  • Start date

Deleted member 4404

After wiring in the new Victron MPPT controller, we stuck the new panel on the roof. It is now covered with a tarp as black clouds roll in :eek:. One tube of Sikaflex did the job on six brackets with enough left over to decorate our hands, arms and shirts :rolleyes:. The cables plugged straight into the connectors from the old panel and tomorrow, after removing the tarp, I'll pop the fuses in and test it out - must remember to check polarity first:unsure:

RAW

Forum Member
Trying to resolve a Leak in recent rain from roof (I think).

My teenage son, unbeknown to me, kindly washed Sylvia'sroof a few days ago as we are going to fit a solar panel on her.
However, I read somewhere not to use a Pressure washer on the fibreglass roof, some time ago.

I was at work at the time and when I asked him how he washed the roof, he said pressure washer !!
So we went on a trip Mon/Tues to a very Wet & stormy Withernsea as partner had those two days of work and I am flexi at work some of the time.
We sadly woke to find drips of water coming off the curtains and waking us up at 3am
F%^%$ I said
Now having the van home and parked on a slope I checked roof over by eye yesterday and discovered a couple of holes in the top layer of fibreglass
I filled holes with some frame sealant as a temporary fix.
Now this morning, as it looks to have been raining overnight, and is drizzling now, I discover that potentially the wetness may have got worse.
As Sylvia is on a slope where we park then any water ingress is tracking down and hitting the bulkhead then coming down curtains

I think the nest step is to completely reseal the roof and I have read somewhere of a product to do that so now on the hunt for that again !! If anyone knows of the top of their heads what it is I need to seal a fibreglass roof again that would be helpful.

Deleted member 4404

Trying to resolve a Leak in recent rain from roof (I think).

My teenage son, unbeknown to me, kindly washed Sylvia'sroof a few days ago as we are going to fit a solar panel on her.
However, I read somewhere not to use a Pressure washer on the fibreglass roof, some time ago.

I was at work at the time and when I asked him how he washed the roof, he said pressure washer !!
So we went on a trip Mon/Tues to a very Wet & stormy Withernsea as partner had those two days of work and I am flexi at work some of the time.
We sadly woke to find drips of water coming off the curtains and waking us up at 3am
F%^%$ I said
Now having the van home and parked on a slope I checked roof over by eye yesterday and discovered a couple of holes in the top layer of fibreglass
I filled holes with some frame sealant as a temporary fix.
Now this morning, as it looks to have been raining overnight, and is drizzling now, I discover that potentially the wetness may have got worse.
As Sylvia is on a slope where we park then any water ingress is tracking down and hitting the bulkhead then coming down curtains

I think the nest step is to completely reseal the roof and I have read somewhere of a product to do that so now on the hunt for that again !! If anyone knows of the top of their heads what it is I need to seal a fibreglass roof again that would be helpful.

If is the panel surface and not the seams, I would rub it all back, clean it well and paint on resin.

Deleted member 4404

Google 'fibreglass resin'. I would try to find somewhere local to you, where you could get advice on additives, colours etc.

Reactions: RAW

RAW

Forum Member
My concern about the fibreglass approach is both the length of time it will take and also the fact that I am parked on a slope making access to the Van roof tricky and no cover for working in the dry. Painting with some sort of rubberised paint product would be easier to apply and quicker to implement. I think I have seen some recommendations for rubberised paint somewhere but not sure where. Thanks for your help with this though.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
My concern about the fibreglass approach is both the length of time it will take and also the fact that I am parked on a slope making access to the Van roof tricky and no cover for working in the dry. Painting with some sort of rubberised paint product would be easier to apply and quicker to implement. I think I have seen some recommendations for rubberised paint somewhere but not sure where. Thanks for your help with this though.
We've used various rubberised/flexible roof coatings on roofs only to find out it becomes an annual job repainting them. If your roof is still in Gel Coat your lucky being able to recoat it. It is an awkward messy job at best, mainly due to the speed you need to work at. I'd be tempted to talk to a company offering GRP flat roof systems. Someone who knows what they are doing should be able to do it in half a day.

Deleted member 4404

The downside is if the paint option fails, you will have to remove it all before using resin.

Deleted member 4404

I've just removed the tarp from the roof and fitted the fuses for the solar charging. Very easy to set up to the exact spec of my batteries, Trojan T125s, and even though it is pouring with rain and very dull there is more charge going in than my comp fridge is taking out. Very pleased (y)

RAW

Forum Member
We've used various rubberised/flexible roof coatings on roofs only to find out it becomes an annual job repainting them. If your roof is still in Gel Coat your lucky being able to recoat it. It is an awkward messy job at best, mainly due to the speed you need to work at. I'd be tempted to talk to a company offering GRP flat roof systems. Someone who knows what they are doing should be able to do it in half a day.
That's a good idea, will take a look around :D

Deleted member 4404

Just looked at T125's and wondering why you went for SLA rather than LiPo ?

I've had the batteries since I converted the van, about 3 years ago and they are still performing well. They do need regular electrolyte checks/top ups but with wet cells and constant solar charging it's only to be expected I suppose.

GEOFF

If the roof is still the original FG, it would be far better to stick with that material. You need to use FLOWCOAT which is basically Gelcoat with some additives to make it easier to "paint" on and dries quickly, but without leaving any tachiness. The roof preparation should be to clean off any dirt etc. and then to lightly abrade the whole area. Flowcoat dries to a nice fairly smooth shiny finish. If in any doubt just talk to your local FG company. Where are you located? Geoff.

RAW

Forum Member
I am in Hebden Bridge, West Yorkshire @GEOFF

I spoke to a roofer in York today and he said there is a water based product that can be applied easier than resin based products that he uses on GRP roofs and that he could not remember the name, just that it was expensive and has a 20 year warranty. I am speaking to him again tomorrow to find the name of the product and in the interim banging a Tarp on Sylvia.

GEOFF

I do not know what the water based product is and would be very interested to hear more about it - please\post details when you have them. Sadly Hebden Bridge is a bit too far way for me to be of any help - sorry about that. Good luck with whatever you decide and keep Sylvia dry. Geoff.

RAW

Forum Member
Checked Sylvia today, been raining on and off and I am hoping that she is drying out and further water ingress may be prevented by the holes I fixed in the fibreglass with some temporary mastic.

I haven't put the tarp on yet and waiting to see what gives overnight if there is more rain like there was last night.

If it looks like no more water coming in I may have temporarily solved the problem though still going to do the roof with something when the weather is a bit drier / kinder
When I find out the product @GEOFF I will post it up here
THANKS

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)