Water tanks

Silver sprinter

Forum Member
On a previous forum, there was always good reports on a guy thay made water tanks, any info on who he is would be much appreciated, gerry

Squiffy

Forum Member
Same place that I got mine Sean is very helpful and his build quality is great 5 years now and no problems with them. But as stated he is busy as he produces for major converters, that's how I found out about him when perusing Van's at shows. Phil

Squiffy

Forum Member
Personally I prefer a drinking water tank to be made from stainless steel.
Squirrel I personally have never drunk from water tanks unless the water has been boiled. In all my years in the army using stagnant water and sterilising tablets then if possible boiling the water before drinking it, I have come to the conclusion that drinking water from an unsterile source is not a viable option unless I was put back into those horrendous positions where it was imperative for existence 😜.Phil

I do realise you maybe talking about longevity but if that's the case plastic is the bane of the world for it's long and lengthy life span , as is being quoted by our eco warriors 😁

Last edited:

GEOFF

We only use our on board water tanks (with steri tablets) for washing, cleaning and toilet flush. For cooking, and drinking we carry 6x2ltr water bottles (square section quick turn ex orange juice) and they are washed out and refilled from home and most days when on site. Geoff.

Millie Master

Forum Member
Sean at Barratt tanks is the man to go to.

The place not to go to is CAK tanks as their customer service is the absolute pitts!

I wanted to buy my tanks from Shaun but as he is so very thorough, he wanted me to take my 'Millie' to his works so he could measure up and decide on the entry point(s) and then I would have had to make a return trip some time later for him to fit them and this would have delayed my build..........
I should have listened to him and to the advice of others, instead due to my impatience, like the total prat I am, I went to CAK tanks and am still regretting my decision to this very day even though the 2 tanks of theirs that I fitted are (just) ok, but their hanging straps are very low quality.

Phil

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
Entry and exit points are important, and you have more choice in the early stages of a build. I'm hoping to start "Betty's" fresh water tank soon. If possible I'm looking for at least 500 litres. So mounting the tank is important too. 1 litre of water weighs 1kg.
I've toyed with the idea of a tank heater, but that might be overkill. I'll at least try to insult it as we have experienced hot fresh water before :(

Nabsim

Forum Member
Entry and exit points are important, and you have more choice in the early stages of a build. I'm hoping to start "Betty's" fresh water tank soon. If possible I'm looking for at least 500 litres. So mounting the tank is important too. 1 litre of water weighs 1kg.
I've toyed with the idea of a tank heater, but that might be overkill. I'll at least try to insult it as we have experienced hot fresh water before :(
Inside tanks? No need to worry about heating then, just chose pipe runs and insulation well 👍

maybe not space on pvc conversions but would think it’s less a problem with your bus

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
My first Motorhome was a Mercedes 608 panel van conversion. This had a food grade white plastic internal water tank under the sink. The tank developed a leak, wet carpet :( After many attempts at trying to reweld the tank it was found that limescale had built up in the crack making a sound weld impossible. The leaking was not so bad that you worried about running out of water. So the solution was to make a bath to catch the leaking water and drain it outside. A stainless replacement tank was made in the end. This tank was eventually repurposed and extended to mount under "Murky" Even though "Betty" is bigger than Murky it does not lend itself to underside mounting. The water tank is going where the spare wheel was. For ease of plumbing that will be inside, despite the chances of leaks. Whatever you do it has it's pro's and con's :(

wildebus

Forum Member
That's a humongous amount of water, are you absolutely sure?
One thing is for certain and that is I very much doubt you could store 500 ltrs. of water in underslung tanks on any normal van

Phil
The only time I have seen that volume of water talked about carrying is for mobile car valets. Have to make sure there are lots of baffles in place. Wouldn't want 250kg of weight in a half full tank sloshing from side to side!

Squiffy

Forum Member
Sean at Barratt tanks is the man to go to.

The place not to go to is CAK tanks as their customer service is the absolute pitts!

I wanted to buy my tanks from Shaun but as he is so very thorough, he wanted me to take my 'Millie' to his works so he could measure up and decide on the entry point(s) and then I would have had to make a return trip some time later for him to fit them and this would have delayed my build..........
I should have listened to him and to the advice of others, instead due to my impatience, like the total prat I am, I went to CAK tanks and am still regretting my decision to this very day even though the 2 tanks of theirs that I fitted are (just) ok, but their hanging straps are very low quality.

Phil
CAK by name CAK by nature, they as we now know Phil have a really bad reputation, as I've said in the past when I phoned them for info on their tanks a stroppy women gave me a right mouth full in so much as I could take it or leave it, well I left it. Horrible people to deal with. 😡😡.Phil.

Nabsim

Forum Member
The only time I have seen that volume of water talked about carrying is for mobile car valets. Have to make sure there are lots of baffles in place. Wouldn't want 250kg of weight in a half full tank sloshing from side to side!
Good point about baffles but I suppose it may depend how many tanks are used to get that volume. You wouldn’t want to be filling it up at a garage tap or with a watering can lol

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
That's a humongous amount of water, are you absolutely sure?
One thing is for certain and that is I very much doubt you could store 500 ltrs. of water in underslung tanks on any normal van
At the moment we carry 300 litres plus, I can't remember the exact amount. As the tank was extended it does have one baffle. I've never noticed the weight move when driving. It is quite a deep tank and I guess that helps. Betty's tank will have to be creative to clear various chassis brackets and associated junk.
You can see the bottom of one of the fuel tanks on the 608. 75 gallons each side.
608FRONT.JPG

Millie Master

Forum Member
My concern about carrying so much water is with the poor caravan site owners whose sites you might at some time be stopping on.

As an ex site owner in France we used to shudder when we watched short stay visitors filling their motorhome on board tanks bearing in mind that we had to pay for the water used.
This was the main reason why we introduced a minimum stop duration at both the sites we owned.

Phil

Squiffy

Forum Member
We've yet to fill up with water on our travels. The water is used for showers too.
I know that weight is not so much of a problem for you as it is for us that use Ducatos, but we also have showers every other day when away and we only have a 95lt tank an yet have never run out of water so far in 5 years use ( Obviously filling up from the many sources on the continent and at home). I feel that the saving in price of tank size and the saving of 400gk of weight would far outweigh any decision that I would make. Phil

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)