VW Crafter MWB Build

Nabsim

Forum Member
What do they do in the Adria Twin conversions (and others), does anyone know? I am fairly sure Del’s has seat belts on the dinette bench seat and the floor there is raised to the same height as the front I think.

mb2tv

Forum Member
My concern is not the box section but with using very long bolts of what? 6 inches long? Just seems very long! may well be perfectly fine but just my thinking.
Yes, this will require very long bolts, but if they are a higher grade (as the high tensile are suppose to be) i thought it would be ok. The other alternatives are use a U shape on its side and bolt the seat and the U shape to the floor or use a smaller box section and create a structure to bolt the seat to. The concern with all of the options (assuming all are safe) is weight. I would like to reduce this as much as possible, that is why i thought of wood, as it is just a 'spacer' and is not part of the strength structure .

Nabsim

Forum Member
Yes, this will require very long bolts, but if they are a higher grade (as the high tensile are suppose to be) i thought it would be ok. The other alternatives are use a U shape on its side and bolt the seat and the U shape to the floor or use a smaller box section and create a structure to bolt the seat to. The concern with all of the options (assuming all are safe) is weight. I would like to reduce this as much as possible, that is why i thought of wood, as it is just a 'spacer' and is not part of the strength structure .
I take it these seats will have seat belts fitted for use as travelling seats? If so any chance of speaking to local MOT place to get their take on it, if not having seat belts you can do whatever you want

mb2tv

Forum Member
I take it these seats will have seat belts fitted for use as travelling seats? If so any chance of speaking to local MOT place to get their take on it, if not having seat belts you can do whatever you want
Yes, they have seatbelts (they are from a transit minibus) and they are intended for travel as well. My intention was anyway to take it to an MOT center after installation so that i will have some kind of a certificate for insurance purposes, so a visit before will be made.
Thanks.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
That is a good idea! Not sure why I have not thought about it. I guess if I use Butil tape it will minimise galvanic effect, or at least i hope so.
Thank you!
You'll only have a galvanic effect if the joint becomes damp. Just like using stainless steel against mild steel.

mb2tv

Forum Member
IMG_20220414_124346.jpg
IMG_20220414_124326.jpg

IMG_20220411_185933.jpg
Picies time: all windows are done! Also, Maxfans on roof are done as well as the roof rails. The roof rails are Unistruts and i also bought the cover for them.
I thought of fitting the seats next, but on second thought, in order to know the exact position i think i will start with the floor, then bed, toilet and only then the seats.
IMG_20220415_122116.jpg

wildebus

Forum Member
Looking nice.
That shot with the length of bar on the roof is interesting. Shows how the roof line starts to drop at the rear, which I never knew, and the roof ribs reveal the same.
I wonder if that is new to the latest VW Crafter model? (My VW LWB LT (2 generations older) was totally flat lengthways and I think the Transporters were as well?)

mb2tv

Forum Member
Looks good nice covers not got those on mine.
Yes, decided to go with the covers as it looks a bit better and hope it will collect less dirt. I also fitted the caps at the ends. It is still open from the bottom though. I have plenty of caps... Both 40x40 and 40x20 - They come in bags of 100...

mb2tv

Forum Member
Looking nice.
That shot with the length of bar on the roof is interesting. Shows how the roof line starts to drop at the rear, which I never knew, and the roof ribs reveal the same.
I wonder if that is new to the latest VW Crafter model? (My VW LWB LT (2 generations older) was totally flat lengthways and I think the Transporters were as well?)
Yes, and I did not fit the bar all the way to the end. The last meter or so is really dropping. I am not sure about previous model or the MB Sprinter.
That made life interesting as there are hardly any strait lines to reference to. The windows looks strait from the outside, but a little wonky from the inside - had to choose one and we thought it looked bad if strait inside. We think it will be masked with all the furniture inside.

mb2tv

Forum Member
Water tank question: we chose a Wydale over wheel arch tank of 100L. I now got the tank and not sure where to place the fill up cap. We would like it to be external to minimise possibility of spill in the van. The issue is that the tank is quite high, so i am very limited in where i can place it. The cap of course will be a bit higher than the tank, but not by much. The question is - can the fill up point be very close to the tank? I.e. the length of the pipe about 30cm?

Many thanks

Nabsim

Forum Member
Water tank question: we chose a Wydale over wheel arch tank of 100L. I now got the tank and not sure where to place the fill up cap. We would like it to be external to minimise possibility of spill in the van. The issue is that the tank is quite high, so i am very limited in where i can place it. The cap of course will be a bit higher than the tank, but not by much. The question is - can the fill up point be very close to the tank? I.e. the length of the pipe about 30cm?

Many thanks
Can’t see why the fill pipe can’t be whatever length you need/want it to be. So long as it’s secured to tank one end and external fill the other I would say all good.

mb2tv

Forum Member
Made a few decisions: we are now thinking of fitting the Taruma 6DE and to fit it in had to 'juggle' a few things. The water tank was originally intended to be over the wheel arch on the driver side but that blicks most of this side. The Taruma has quite a big vent which will only fiton that side, so water tank will move to the passenger side (with filler cap behind the sliding door) and the electrics will be on the driver side. Unfortunately there is not enough space under the back seats for the Taruma and the Webasto one which would have fitted there is no longer produced.
This van is a constant brain teaser.

mb2tv

Forum Member
There is one that has all the combustion side underneath the floor with hot tank and hot air above. I don’t think that needs any vents in the side. Will see if I can find it

Edit: here it is https://www.whalepumps.com/rv/product.aspx?Category_ID=10032&Product_ID=200&FriendlyID=Expanse
There is only one drawback... It is working on LPG, I do not intend to fit LPG to the van.
I have a whale heater in the caravan, it is very good, but works only on electricity and LPG. There is not much choice if you go the Diesel way (for hot water).
Thanks for the thought

Nabsim

Forum Member
There is only one drawback... It is working on LPG, I do not intend to fit LPG to the van.
I have a whale heater in the caravan, it is very good, but works only on electricity and LPG. There is not much choice if you go the Diesel way (for hot water).
Thanks for the thought
You could fit an Eberspacher hydronic (or other make) in the engine bay or under the vehicle somewhere out the way and pipe that to an internal hot water tank. I did see that Scots guy on YouTube had hold of a Chinese version of one last year but don’t know if they are mainstream yet. That does away with gas and vents if it’s vents and more internal space you are after.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)