Volvo FL6

MOTOsapien

Forum Member
Hiya & welcome to the forum man. Watching with much interest, got my eye on a 7.5t ex post office truck for my next project so very interested in your walkthru mods. Like the truck, used to drive a fl10 some time ago on article tipper work, mainly coal when we still had a mining industry....👍
Yup, I was part of that mining industry until '87 after Maggie shut us down...!! I'm not local to where the truck is being worked on so photo updates later when I go down to see how the pod looks....

Debs

Forum Member
Hi folks, I've joined here so as to log my build as I go and also to gain or share knowledge as and when needed. Sure I'm on 7.5ton+ facebook page but slowly and surely I'm getting fed up of social media and this F'd up world we are currently aboding so it's a preferred 'go to' I find on the forums, hope this one becomes my regular...... Here's my truck as a tired ex race truck, it's getting a full upgrade but I'm keeping the 3m chequereplated garage for very selfish reasons...!!!!
View attachment 3146View attachment 3147
So looking forward to seeing your build, but I am curious to know how you will cope with the tilt cab, of which I am assuming is a tilt cab. Parkers of Garstang do horse box's and they have managed to overcome that problem. Good luck with your build.(y)

wildebus

Forum Member
So looking forward to seeing your build, but I am curious to know how you will cope with the tilt cab, of which I am assuming is a tilt cab. Parkers of Garstang do horse box's and they have managed to overcome that problem. Good luck with your build.(y)
Asterix has a horsebox conversion and I wondered about this with the tilt cab, but there is a big kind of rubber gasket between cab and body and it really looked like it was a solid connection when closed up with no wind or the like.
I suppose you would empty the sleeping pop out before you tilt it to avoid everything sliding down the front though?

MOTOsapien

Forum Member
Asterix has a horsebox conversion and I wondered about this with the tilt cab, but there is a big kind of rubber gasket between cab and body and it really looked like it was a solid connection when closed up with no wind or the like.
I suppose you would empty the sleeping pop out before you tilt it to avoid everything sliding down the front though?
My pod is getting done by East Riding Horseboxes up Hull way. There will be a 1/4" gap where the two meet and full tilt facility will be maintained....

RV2MAX

Forum Member
Are you intending to keep it as a HGV living van rather than go for "motor caravan" ? Front to rear movement on cab isnt usually a problem its sideways as the chassis twists over uneven ground , can be quite extreme depending how uneven the ground .

MOTOsapien

Forum Member
Are you intending to keep it as a HGV living van rather than go for "motor caravan" ? Front to rear movement on cab isnt usually a problem its sideways as the chassis twists over uneven ground , can be quite extreme depending how uneven the ground .
Hi Mate, It's already registered as a Motor Caravan with DVLA so job's a guddun....!!!

MOTOsapien

Forum Member
Just be careful if you intend using the back to carry other than goods you need to live in the vehicle , if you get stopped by DVSA being a HGV .
Interesting.... ok, so all that's going in the back is my three motorbikes and associated crap that comes with them. Are you talking from experience..?? I know the traffic cops can rampage at times and love to exercise there authority....

MOTOsapien

Forum Member
Still not finished but you can see the sides starting to take there form.....
IMG-20201105-WA0000.jpg

RV2MAX

Forum Member
Interesting.... ok, so all that's going in the back is my three motorbikes and associated crap that comes with them. Are you talking from experience..?? I know the traffic cops can rampage at times and love to exercise there authority....
I have personal experience of this advice being given by DVSA PM sent

Millie Master

Forum Member
I have personal experience of this advice being given by DVSA PM sent
I have seen DVSA doing road side checks both on the A17 just short of Sleaford on the left hand side of the road if driving from the Newark direction, there is also one of their hot spots on the High Dyke A52 to the east of Grantham where they have a large test facility. On several occasions I have seen motorhomes being pulled at these locations.

Deleted member 4404

I have moved the DVSA posts HERE.
This keeps this section for van/conversion details

RV2MAX

Forum Member
Looks very nice , you mention "interlocking" between cab and body , do you mean a wipe type seal or bellows as you will need to take into account cab and body relative chassis flexing especially in view of wheelbase , also if suspension cab , or limit yourself assiduously to flat terrain .

st3v3

Forum Member
Very cool. We have a 7.5t DAF LF, I made a small passthrough that was more to see in the back than get through regularly and used a bellows type rubber that's designed for it.

This kind of stuff, but from someone different IIRC:

Rubber Accordion Seals : Uni-Grip Rubber and Plastic Seals (uni-grip.com)

The hole is the size of the existing glass window that was on the back of the cab. Just driving along the motorway it's surprising how much movement there is, but my cab has some suspension.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)