Tools borrow or buy

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
Need 3 tool that are van build only.
Large crimp for battery wire. Plus solar wire mc4
Rivet gun that put the threaded nut thingy in walls to bolt to, self tapper screws can't be sealed and are left bear )
Hole cutters for sink, 32mm . 65 or 70mm for duct for heater pipes.

So there's £150. And my tool budget was spent on a DeWalt 996 drill and 2 battery's .
TIA

Millie Master

Forum Member
As I have been caught out in the past, I am sorry but I will never ever loan any of my tools and equipment out just in case they get broken...... But at times I have been known to offer my time and equipment to help someone out (just as long as my Mrs. isn't watching) with items such as replaceable blades being supplied or paid for by the person I am helping.

wildebus

Forum Member
Need 3 tool that are van build only.
Large crimp for battery wire. Plus solar wire mc4
Rivet gun that put the threaded nut thingy in walls to bolt to, self tapper screws can't be sealed and are left bear )
Hole cutters for sink, 32mm . 65 or 70mm for duct for heater pipes.

So there's £150. And my tool budget was spent on a DeWalt 996 drill and 2 battery's .
TIA
Well, a few comments ....
£150 for those three? gold plated versions?

How big a cable are you using?
You can get Hydraulic ones which you maybe need if using heavy cable, but if you are not going bigger than 16mm2 or 25mm2, then a Hammer Crimper like this works perfectly - £18

Hole Saw. This set is pretty ho-hum as far as quality goes, but should last a few goes and enough for a single van build - £11
This is not for metal though so depends where the holes are going? Could use the traditional method of a series of drill holes and a jigsaw to join the dots then some filing. Countless van builders have done it this way.

Rivnut Gun. Lots of options here from as cheap as £10. I'd go for one around the £30 mark as a reasonable mark for an occasional DIY option.

Last edited:

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
Hay mod please asked Geeky to add this account to 1cup on wild camping and motorhomes please as I think he's keeping his distance
And I'm going green.
IMG_20200626_093228.jpg
IMG_20200626_093228.jpg

Deleted member 4404

Hay mod please asked Geeky to add this account to 1cup on wild camping and motorhomes please as I think he's keeping his distance
And I'm going green.
View attachment 2673View attachment 2673
If you have an account on WildCamping or Motorhomer, start an account on here using the same name and email address as you used on those forums and you will get free full membership :). I can then move your posts to that new account.
Chris

wildebus

Forum Member
It is perfectly acceptable to be a free member if that is what someone wants to do! Not reason to raise the drawbridge! That is hardly an encouraging sign for anyone reading this and wondering how friendly a forum is.
If that kind of attitude prevails, people will think they have logged onto SBMCC again!

Yes, there are advantages to being a paid member and the benefits for sure outweigh the cost, but .... it is a CHOICE, and not a requirement.

RAW

Forum Member
As far as crimping ends to thick cable as @wildebus stated I recently purchased one of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/383565469809

It is NOT AS GOOD AS THE ONE @wildebus posted a link to above
However, it works and the seller is some UK / Chinese reseller and they packaged the item really badly so it broke in transit
20200621_134224.jpg
I got a full refund as Broken In Transit and fixed it so FREE TOOL; nothing better than Free tools ;)
However, to answer your question - cannot lend out as I need it for work I have to do on my own Sprinter.

As echoed by folk above, recommend you sign up and become a paid member here as you will receive discounts on suppliers which will pay for the membership easily each year if you buy kit or upgrade.

Nabsim

Forum Member
It sounds like this is a full member but because they have used a different name it hasn’t picked it up.
@Sprinter 1 cup if you see Chris’s post earlier you need to change username to be same as other forums and he can sort 👍

Reactions: RAW

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
Somerset M5 in-between junction 23 ,24..
This crimp for mc4 solar panels I have a simmalor one to Phill but has the wrong jaws!
Question is can we buy just jaws for this handset and is this cost affected way ?
TIA
15932685699681477069924666036483.jpg

wildebus

Forum Member
Somerset M5 in-between junction 23 ,24..
This crimp for mc4 solar panels I have a simmalor one to Phill but has the wrong jaws!
Question is can we buy just jaws for this handset and is this cost affected way ?
TIA
An interesting question. I was looking a while ago as it happens and found it very hard to locate any general-purpose crimpers that also included a set of inserts suitable for the MC4 terminals
The nearest multipurpose crimpers I could find that included the MC4 suitable inserts was a full set of Crimpers and Stippers - these ones here - https://amzn.to/2AejAF2 for £33.
I have a MC4 Insert in one of the kits I have and I would hate to be without it as no other inserts I have do the same job. So if mine broke/got lost/stolen I would buy that kit above for sure as it is not badly priced at all and all the KKmoon branded tools I have bought have been of very acceptable quality.

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
Well, a few comments ....
£150 for those three? gold plated versions?

How big a cable are you using?
You can get Hydraulic ones which you maybe need if using heavy cable, but if you are not going bigger than 16mm2 or 25mm2, then a Hammer Crimper like this works perfectly - £18

Hole Saw. This set is pretty ho-hum as far as quality goes, but should last a few goes and enough for a single van build - £11
This is not for metal though so depends where the holes are going? Could use the traditional method of a series of drill holes and a jigsaw to join the dots then some filing. Countless van builders have done it this way.

Rivnut Gun. Lots of options here from as cheap as £10. I'd go for one around the £30 mark as a reasonable mark for an occasional DIY option.
Yes the cable is for this Ring DC to DC 30 then read about your 240v fridge thingy and sounding that up, So now need a charging 12v to 240v and that puts this out .AC anywhere. So pooh's out! and Tigger like what Geeky has 😍.
So wire gets thicker and crimpers gets bigger for fridge and electric / diesel water heater now and hob 1600w twice.

Shower plug hole to gray waste tank, 32mm metal cutter for floor X 2 plus sink.

Rivet gun . Seen people use these and it takes two people to close then, this week I struggled with mastic gun on 3 windows .So for say 50 rivets I would need long handles !
Ho! and still got otherside to do. mastic gun nightmares.
Lost pictures? How.

Lol
An interesting question. I was looking a while ago as it happens and found it very hard to locate any general-purpose crimpers that also included a set of inserts suitable for the MC4 terminals
The nearest multipurpose crimpers I could find that included the MC4 suitable inserts was a full set of Crimpers and Stippers - these ones here - https://amzn.to/2AejAF2 for £33.
I have a MC4 Insert in one of the kits I have and I would hate to be without it as no other inserts I have do the same job. So if mine broke/got lost/stolen I would buy that kit above for sure as it is not badly priced at all and all the KKmoon branded tools I have bought have been of very acceptable quality.
So not jaws (dies) result thanks

Last edited:

Nabsim

Forum Member
I have some overpriced RS crimps that work bought me years ago, they have removable jaws/die, never thought about it before. If I ever get stuff out of storage I will have to investigate. Have a few tools for computer/network cables that I may be able to repurpose 👍

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
Interchangeable Die Set Pliers Attachment Jaws For Crimping Tools (ebay) 5 to 8 pounds
Question What are the codes / name for the mc4 as there are a lot of them ?
TIA

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)