swb vivaro budget build

smdts

Bought a swb vivaro and a mazda bongo both out the scrappy to merge together.
IMG_20190819_141052.jpg
IMG_20190815_173619.jpg
IMG_20190820_162912.jpg
IMG_20190824_193932.jpg
IMG_20190829_191327.jpg
IMG_20190905_202248.jpg
IMG_20190905_202234.jpg
IMG_20190905_202135.jpg
IMG_20190905_184305.jpg

smdts

IMG_20190906_184019.jpg
IMG_20190908_140719.jpg
IMG_20190908_163321.jpg
IMG_20190908_183512.jpg
IMG_20190908_202113.jpg
IMG_20190908_202436.jpg

insulate the walls next, a wee roadtrip to bute next week with the bikes then roof swap once I am back, then kitchen, wardrobes and rock and roll bed.
been given a diesel night heater and a 200 amp leisure battery too, very fortunate.

wildebus

Forum Member
Interesting conversation.

Just a note on your wheels and a topic that comes up a lot on the VW Forums .... Are you sure they are heavy duty enough for your van? The use of Audi and BMW wheels are popular on the Transporters but very few are actually suitable for the GVW of a commercial van the size of the Transporters, Transits and Vivaros.
They may physically fit, but it doesn't mean they are ok to fit.

(Sorry to be a downer on this point, but it is a critical safety thing, especially as you are likely to to running at near GVW if doing a camper buildout).

RAW

Forum Member
Nice development, you must have quite a bit of spare time to make that work, hope the next stages work out well for you. Roof swap sounds a challenge.

wildebus

Forum Member
The Bongo Roof is very nice and I believe usually motorised as well (I think anyway) and is a popular retrofit on the VW T4 Transporters

The Vivaro/Trafic Roof has that unusual little hump above the cab area - I wonder it that will cause any awkwardness? Hopefully not as would be a great little camper afterwards. (doing this kind of roof swap is way above my paygrade in terms of metalwork manipulation so looking forward to seeing the results (y))

Reactions: RAW

RAW

Forum Member
The Bongo Roof is very nice and I believe usually motorised as well (I think anyway) and is a popular retrofit on the VW T4 Transporters

The Vivaro/Trafic Roof has that unusual little hump above the cab area - I wonder it that will cause any awkwardness? Hopefully not as would be a great little camper afterwards. (doing this kind of roof swap is way above my paygrade in terms of metalwork manipulation so looking forward to seeing the results (y))
I saw a Bongo whilst in Cornwall and had a manual roof, was an import. Bongo's are rubbish on fuel at around 20 MPG - As @wildebus has stated the Roof job would be something out of my remit too, a big job, so interested how it evolves. Good luck

trevskoda

Forum Member
Looks good though you could have had the wheels shotblasted /epoxy 2 pac prim and then poly 2 pac finnish,we used to do them for £15 a rim which was a good price as a co down road from us did crappy powder at £100 a rim.
Handy we van i must say but do make sure you have the correct size plates under the seat fixing or mot men will go nuts.

smdts

Interesting conversation.

Just a note on your wheels and a topic that comes up a lot on the VW Forums .... Are you sure they are heavy duty enough for your van? The use of Audi and BMW wheels are popular on the Transporters but very few are actually suitable for the GVW of a commercial van the size of the Transporters, Transits and Vivaros.
They may physically fit, but it doesn't mean they are ok to fit.

(Sorry to be a downer on this point, but it is a critical safety thing, especially as you are likely to to running at near GVW if doing a camper buildout).
Literally thousands have them fitted, and I am yet to have seen any reported evidence of any failure. Have you seen any indication otherwise?

wildebus

Forum Member
Well, I took 4 BMW wheels off a BMW and 3 were cracked - customer scrapped them after that clearly unsafe. loads of BMW wheels crack in normal use as they are basically not that strong and also so many cheap clone replicas around that people think are genuine.
I also took the Audi Wheels off my VW T4 which were fitted when I bought it as they were not up to the load requirement - and that T4 had a GVW of under 2.5t and was the lighest T4 model around.

Would you fit tyres to your van which you knew had lower load rating than the van weight? probably not. So why would you fit Wheels with the same limitation? (what BMW model did they come off? what is that models max kerb weight? If same or higher than your vivaro then no worries)

Your choice, but remember it is not just your safety, but that of your family that is travelling in the van and the other people on the road around you ....

smdts

the bongo roof has some heavy duty reinforcements around the internal secondary pop up roof/upstairs bed and some heavy box section bracing around the hinges and motors so I thought it would be best to keep that as is and tie it into the vivaro structural sections with 1/4 inch steel folded in to a channel then welded in. there are some other bracing plates that used to reinforce the bongo roof to pillar joints and with some creative grindertickling and metalfrying they will tie in with the vivaros stiffening bars.
IMG_20191001_174104.jpg

just need to tie up the gap at the front of the skin. if it turns out functional but ugly I might cover it with a kelsa bar, big led light bar, or one of those exterior sun visors.
we will see.

Last edited by a moderator:

Millie Master

Forum Member
Sorry to be a downer, but I feel I must support Dave (@wildebus) and his comments about the fitting of wheels which are not suitable for the application.

I can assure one and all that if a vehicle is involved in a major road traffic accident that the police WILL thoroughly examine and investigate any of the vehicles involved. If any modifications made to a vehicle are found to be not to specification and do not comply with the fitment and use specifications of the original manufacturer and they are deemed to be the cause of the accident then all hell will let loose.

Further more a vehicles insurance policy will be invalidated!

So surely, simply for a bit of bling, is it worth risking quite literally everything?

Phil

Millie Master

Forum Member
Give it a rest about the wheels.
They have 825kg stamped on them.

Why should we?

They might have 825kg stamped on them, but if the wheels are not specifically manufactured for fitment to your make, model and loading of your own vehicle then I am sorry, they shouldn't be fitted to it!

Far, far too many people modify and generally 'bling' their vehicles without a second glance or thought about the legal implications and on here, I am sure others will agree with me when I suggest it is only right if these errors of judgement are not pointed out to them.

Phil

smdts

What is illegal about wheels that have the correct fitment and load rating and appropriatly load rated tyres? Beacause you dont like them? Because they arent what it left the factory with? If thats your argument all diy campers should be banned. What qualifications do you have to be converting vehicles and to judge what is safe?
The wheels are declared to the insurance, and once the conversion is finished it is going for an engineers report. If they are deemed unsafe by a qualified professional I will change them.
The van came with heavily rusted steel wheels with 4 mismatched, unevenly worn chinese ditchfinders on it. Shall I put those back on for you sweety?

Last edited by a moderator:

Millie Master

Forum Member
What is illegal about wheels that have the correct fitment and load rating and appropriatly load rated tyres

I am sorry but there are numerous issues which can be argued with regards to the fitment of wheels which are questionably unsuitable for a given application.

For instance the wheels in question are for fitment to a BMW car, where the wheels will have been TAG approved for that particular application.

Frequently steel wheels will use totally different specifications of either wheel studs or nuts, the reason being the angle of the chamfer of the face of them can be slightly different.

Believe me when I write I am only doing so in the interest of the safety of your family and other road users........ over and out.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)