Seitz windows or bonded windows

Shaz and Jeff

Hi I'm planning to convert a Renault master 2012 van and looking for advise on what windows to fit,do I go with bonded or Seitz ?

CAL

If I was doing it again I'd definitely go for the Seitz opening windows. I have bonded glass in both sides and both rear doors. In the winter they're very prone to condensation + they seem to draw the cold in, it would also be nice to pop them open in the warmer weather. Just my opinion.

hextal

I'd say pros of bonded are they are cheaper, look nicer (subjective) and are more secure. I'd say the pros of seitz are as above, better thermal properties and much better for opening/closing.

I was originally going to fit bonded to my conversion but had a late change of heart and went for seitz, really glad I did.

Roger

Seitz - hands down. They come complete with blinds and insect screens - if you try to make them yourself you'll spend a lot of time for usually a pretty ordinary result.

trevskoda

Forum Member
As above seitz every time otherwise condensation will run down bonded glass to fabric below and be cold in winter.

El Veterano

If you are going to go with opening lights then Sietz are hands down the best way to go DOMETIC S4 TOP-HUNG WINDOW 700x300 | Dometic - Mobile living made easy.
Just from the security point of view they are streets ahead of the others that I have seen. The windows on some of the new MH homes on the market are absolutely dreadful in comparison. It is so easy to just get your fingers (let alone a bar) under the edge of them for one thing. The more sophisticated thief could just use a bent piece of wire shoved up under the seal and then just push the catches up because they have no lock buttons on them! Dreadful. That would be almost impossible with Sietz.

installer

I'd say pros of bonded are they are cheaper, look nicer (subjective) and are more secure.

How you can say that a toughened glass window is "more secure" I don't know!

Do you realise how quickly they can be smashed? The answer is about 2 seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:

hextal

How you can say that a toughened glass window is "more secure" I don't know!

Do you realise how quickly they can be smashed? The answer is about 2 seconds.

Probably less time than it takes to just prize open the seitz and pop all the plastic catches in one go, and noisier.

wildman

any glass can be removed by cutting around the rubber trim silently, no window is secure so forget that argument. It is all down to facility versus cost.

hextal

any glass can be removed by cutting around the rubber trim silently, no window is secure so forget that argument. It is all down to facility versus cost.

Kinda, but I tend to view security as largely relative. If there's an easier less secure vehicle then that'll be more likely to be targeted. Nowt will keep out someone that really wants in. I just think that cutting or smashing through a bonded window will likely be tougher than simply popping a seitz.

It's like beefing up door locks on the campers. I never see the point when there are windows to get in through. Doesn't mean that some might not try to get in through the doors.

FULL TIMER

I personally think the Seitz are horrendous prices, as for condensation I've also seen that on Seitz . I prefer the bonded and then fit NRF blinds / fly screens still works out a damn site cheaper than Seitz, I have sliding windows with an ali frame that are bonded into the sidewalls if these do get condensation there is a runner with drop out holes for any moisture that runs off so no wet panels inside. we had no end of condensation in the caravan with so called double glazed Seitz type windows. By the way with the normal bonded windows you can still get various opening versions, worth taking a look at Leisure Vehicle Windows website http://leisurevehiclewindows.co.uk/ link for the blinds Discount Remis Cab Blinds, REMIfront, Seitz Cab Remis & Seitz Blackout plus Caravan Window Blinds - Buy Securely on-line.

El Veterano

Probably less time than it takes to just prize open the seitz and pop all the plastic catches in one go, and noisier.

You cannot get much between the frame and the Sietz window, thats the point. Plus you cannot undo the plastic catches on them without pressing in the security button, that also was the point I was making.

trevskoda

Forum Member
You will find it colder with single bonded windows but you can use the foil covers to stop that and condensation,i do agree seitz are way over the top on price.

Shaz and Jeff

Thanks everyone can't say I've decided as yet but will take all your comments on board
Cheers all

Deleted member 951

Thanks everyone can't say I've decided as yet but will take all your comments on board
Cheers all

I too am converting a 2012 Renault Master. I went with Seitz, 3 down one side, 1 in the sliding door, and I have now decided to add another to one of the back doors.

Very pleased with them.

n brown

Forum Member
security is almost irrelevant . there's a tool ,£3.99 from screwfix that will pop a bonded window or door window in a heartbeat, and people don't react to a single ,isolated noise
seitz are pretty easy to fit,come as sliders or top hung and, more importantly, easy to finish off inside. bonded windows are a bit of a faff to tidy up inside, and a lot of people resort to carpeting around them. also they only come with small sliding openers- not great on a hot night ,not great in the rain. the right size seitz can not only be left open ,with mozzy netting of course,in the rain. but could be an emergency exit.
i haven't got seitz in my van because they're too expensive.i have one caravan window, a LDV slider in the SLD. 2 horsebox drop windows in the back and a small horsebox slider in the loo. total cost £20

christyjade

Hi, we are also looking in to getting a window, still not 100% on the idea as we we're just going to get a roof vent....The Seitz look good but way out of our price range!! Are the bonded ones really that bad, if you get one with an opening, and then have an insulated window cover on it??

christyjade

Hi,

Sorry, just hijacking this thread :) I am also looking for a window, was originally only going to have a roof vent, but thinking a window too would be best?

We're on a low budget for our build so the fancy Seitz window is out the window :lol-053:

Would an opening bonded window with insulated blind suffice?

n brown

Forum Member
suffice for what ? the LDV slider on my sliding door is single glazed, you can get one for about £20 in a scrapyard,which suits me fine. if you're worried about condensation then make up a silver bubblewrap cover to put inside at night

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)