Rear washroom/toilet/wardrobe.

fifthwheel

Hi all, nice to see names from the past, my first post is about a Timberland style rear washroom. It looks a great layout to me, all the furniture would be low level having the toilet and wardrobe behind a door at the back. Some storage would be lost but for us it would still leave plenty. I have never seen a self build done this way is there some reason they are not popular? john clark.

LibertyHall

Forum Member
Hi John
When we built Muttley we went to the NEC show. The good lady liked the rear bathroom idea:) also would save cutting another hole re the cassette. Also access to the plumbing would also be easier!!
However once we saw the rear lounge we where sold on that layout. At that time we didn’t know whether to go LWB or MWB we eventually went the later.
I guess that’s the beauty of a selfbuild you do it to your liking:)
Nice to see you by the way
Take care
Ken

fifthwheel

Thanks for the link Rab thats very similar to what I had in mind.

Duckato

Forum Member
A suggestion
Using a composting toilet means no need for a big hole anywhere just a small one of a vent fan is used.
What amazes me is that the principle is so simple yet some cost £1000 for effectively a diverter, a glorified bucket and a milk bottle or similar!
Definitely a cheap thing to Diy though.

fifthwheel

A suggestion
Using a composting toilet means no need for a big hole anywhere just a small one of a vent fan is used.
What amazes me is that the principle is so simple yet some cost £1000 for effectively a diverter, a glorified bucket and a milk bottle or similar!
A suggestion
I looked at this a couple of years ago but lost interest. There are quite a few videos on youtube showing diy toilets. A local to me Skipton based small company sell the diverter for about £85 that one looks the best, others are on ebay from about £36. Looks a simple DIY job. Thanks for the post I am interested again now.:D

trevskoda

Forum Member
I put my bog door inside as kids would break anything outside open,i use bio wash powder in it and so far all is sweet,not that i have tasted it.:eek:

Attachments

• bog door.jpg
    bog door.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 289

Holteees

I started my build with this layout but then my wife decided she didn’t want to sleep facing the sliding door as I’m awake and out with the dog before she thinks about getting up. We now have a U shape lounge at the rear which can be left set up as a bed if we want. I’m really pleased we did this. Works well for us. Steve

Duckato

Forum Member
I am at the design stage of my build, I have never owned a motorhome or caravan before so have no experience or hang ups.

Right now a composting toilet looks like a good idea with one caveat moisture control in the solids bucket is key to pong control

In a van the bog is going to be in a wet room
Most commercial flush toilets are conventional and a bit of shower spray getting inside will not matter.

Most composting toilets seem to be in dedicated rooms so will not get regular monsoons

I probably will not have room for a screen or curtain so I want a room sealed toilet

The Kildwick type diverter still uses a standard seat with gaps for water ingress.

I will probably use one of these instead.

Last edited:

Darcar

Forum Member
With a rear bathroom, you lose your boot, doesn’t matter if you go with a fixed rear bed or a ushaped rear lounge area.
You will have a storage area accessible from the outside, to keep your dirty things in, ie chairs, bbq, windbreaker etc. Other wise all these items have to come into your living space.
Darcar.

Jays

Our design has a 300 mm bulkhead onto the rear doors.
The van is a ducato maxi therefore 6.3 long.
Rear seating area/ king size bed.
Kitchen and bathroom opposite.
With having the swivel seats in the front we get two areas to sit.
Plus with the rear lounge you can lounge with your feet up.
The garage in the 300mm boot allows for storage of two bikes, two chairs, silver screen, water bottles, hose ,cable, levelling ramps, veg, wine, rucksacs plus tools and other stuff we all carry around just in case.
The problem of air leaking back doors in a panel van has been eliminated by this bulkhead.
Most of the other design similar to an IH ducato.
A design tip the owner gave us when visiting there workshop was,
Imagine where each person is when cooking, washing , sleeping, don’t create crossing places.

Millie Master

Forum Member
Hello one and all, I knew so many of you so very well at a former place where I had a different user name.

As for the rear washroom John, this is exactly what I built into 'Millie' along with a truly massive shed/garage behind it.

The loo/shower fits between the rear wheel arches and the space above is used as shelving extensions of the rear shed that also houses the spare wheel, tool kit, table, chairs and a thousand and one other things.

I hope the attached plan view drawing shows the layout.

all the best

Millie Master (Phil)

Attachments

• Plan-Layout 1.jpg
    Plan-Layout 1.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 284
  • 600.JPG
    600.JPG
    615.5 KB · Views: 299
  • Millies-Shed.jpg
    Millies-Shed.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 284

wildebus

Forum Member
MM (Phil).
Your rear bathroom with tall garage space behind is something I've been seriously considering for a future build on a base vehicle like an extended LWB Crafter/Sprinter. I think that setup is very good to avoid making the interior claustrophobic with a central bathroom turning a panel van into a bit of a corridor.

My current requirement calls for a big garage though and the raised permanent bed (permanent bed being another must have) allows that large storage space which lets me leave the trailer behind more often.

Millie Master

Forum Member
MM (Phil).
Your rear bathroom with tall garage space behind is something I've been seriously considering for a future build on a base vehicle like an extended LWB Crafter/Sprinter. I think that setup is very good to avoid making the interior claustrophobic with a central bathroom turning a panel van into a bit of a corridor.

Thanks for that Dave.

The depth in from my rear doors was dictated by the width of the spare wheel, but if you have an L4 or longer van there is absolutely no reason why you can't shift the whole lot further forward. For instance following my conversion, on one of the facebook self build sites there is someone who carries 4 road bikes (racing cycles) inside his back doors and yet despite all of this, he still has mountains of space inside for a luxurious living space.
Mind you the only down side with such a layout is there wouldn't be anywhere to put a permanent across the van bed, but as that requirement isn't in my wish list (waste of space) it is of no concern to me.

Phil

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)