price your self build

veedubmatt

i might have to sell my vw lt35 selfbuild but would not know were to start to set a price on it

its 98% done and realy dont wanna sell but

what would you put your selfbuild up for people

Burtie

I find that people are different with their self builds and rightfully
in their own way it all depends on what you want for it what you think
it's worth or what it owes you. I have seen many self builds it's not just
the money you spent on it but the time and effort you put in to it
if advertising on an auction site why not put a reserve then see how the bidding goes

n brown

Forum Member
this is difficult.i was talking to a guy recently had his merc up for 20 grand,he worked out the price of materials plus his labour. trouble is the van was old,the fitting was just bad and it took him nearly a year.my van cost 2.8 grand,materials about a grandand took just over 2 weeks to fit out so i was surprised when flux agreed a value of 8 grand[ i thought i was pushing it] i had about 4 grand in my head

Firefox

At the prices I have seen them go for, the main added value of a self build is to its builder.

You may get the value of the van plus the major parts but charging for your own labour at full cost is unrealistic unless you are building for a specific customer to a very high standard and selling it straight on.

A big part of the premium market seems to be the retired couple who want something "professionaly converted", low mileage, newish van, dealer guarantee, peace of mind etc. A self build may be a much better spec but doesn't fit this market so you are left with the ebay scene and the bargain hunters or a lengthy wait on a private sale.

Probably current value of the base van plus major caravan parts plus 30% for bargaining and some allowance for your input would be a realistic starting point.

Burtie

i visited a motorhome company some of the motorhomes there for sale are out of this world
i got talking to the owner and he was telling me a van with a bed cooker and toilet will be worth atleast
5 grand. some of these self builds ive seen look great with more than that in so i wouldnt like
to put a price on as i once sold a self build it only made a grand but that was just basic

bob72

loads of self builds on ebay. Check out vans converted for racing/motorcross etc they are all self builds and command good prices. I have seen some dealers selling self builds for 10k+

veedubmatt

thanks for the info people im just gonna put it up for £5000 and see how it go's i think

rab13

i have said it before but vw,s have a big following and more often than not command mad prices you may well be surprized good luck with your sale :D

al n sal

good luck with the sale, i tried to figure out what mine would be worth once, but gave up after someone offered me a packet of cheese and onion for it....:cry::lol-053: i wanted two chicken dont like cheese and onion.....

you can always knock money off but harder to put on, I'd go high first....

Millie Master

Forum Member
An exceptionally old post, but as I am new here I hadn't seen it before.

My somewhat battered ex shop fitters 2008 LWB Master only cost me £4k, but I then spent rather more than I had expected to on the conversion ending up with a total cost (inc. initial van purchase) of slightly North of £11k.

When I prepared my application for the DVLA I went totally over the top by preparing a case bound A4 booklet that had 14 very detailed images of 'Millie' along with a spread sheet giving all the details of expenditure, I sent this to them by to be signed for recorded delivery.

Some 11 days after sending in my application I received the duly changed V5 document.

Next I sent another copy of the booklet off to my then insurance broker (Adrian Flux) asking them for an agreed valuation, this resulted in them phoning me and in the following conversation an agreed valuation was reached, it being £13k which I subsequently received in confirmation from them. It is this valuation which is now with my current insurer Scenic who are a truly excellent and knowledgeable organisation.

But as for valuations, I frequently blanch when seeing the prices some advertisers are asking for total sheds!!

Bonne chance

Phil

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)