Picked up my NEW project on Friday...

AuldTam

Got the chance of buying another van last week which had a few problems...It was agreed my friend (mechanic) had a look at it first before I handed over any cash.

The van was over revving when driving and had a small oil leak along with a few very minor issues that I could fix myself, plus the MOT was about to expire. Anyway, it tuned out the previous owner had fitted a new sump himself but didn't fit a new gasket (£22) oil leak fixed, clutch sensor u/s (£23) over revving fixed, rear calipers sticky (due to van not being used, £0), Service £80. Put van in for Class VII Mot and it passed with no advisory's.

Got the van home on Saturday and started the clean up (ex roofer's van) two spots of rust (underneath plastic side trim, not visible) rubbed down brushed on some Krust, primer and paint, job done. Off to the builders yard for some plywood, insulation and duct tape, then back home.

Measured up, cut the plywood panels (nice fit), started fitting the insulation and at end of today it's half insulated already.

I'm well pleased with how it's going so far, famous last words!:)

What did i forget to do? Damn, I forgot to take the before pictures :(... I'll take some tomorrow

mariesnowgoose

I hate clever bar stewards :p

Good luck with your project. Get those pics up here!

Doodles

The bug has bitten :) good luck with the build i am sure it will look amazing by the time you are finished with it.

AuldTam

Did you put in your wiring before starting to insulate?

No...I intend using the same cable runs the manufacturer uses then drop down on top of the side insulation but underneath the plywood, past experience losing cables under the insulation :(, then I mark and cut the plywood and pull the cables through, I find this the easiest way and easier to make alterations if necessary mid way through the project. I'm doing the roof vents and insulating the ceiling last.

I'm going down the same road as the old van, e.g. almost everything will be bolted in and easily removable.

I'm going more for a stealth type van this time as I don't use sites at all now (thanks to wildcamping.co.uk). I converted my current van to meet DVLA requirements and it's registered as a motor caravan, this van will be converted to meet my requirements and I'm not bothered at the moment about registering it as a motor caravan. I'll sell the old van when this one's complete.

I'm in no rush to complete as I still have the old camper, 3 of us off to Sunderland this weekend for the Sunderland Vs Liverpool game :)

mariesnowgoose

You've seen this, but worth repeating :lol-053:

318490_3872598406711_1491023249_n.jpg

Doodles

I have those runners out now if you need any but must warn they are in various sizes now :)

AuldTam

I have those runners out now if you need any but must warn they are in various sizes now :)

Excellent! Can we arrange a date after this week...I do voluntary work and have 2 meetings this week and a family birthday on Friday then off to Sunderland Sat and Sun.

Doodles

Excellent! Can we arrange a date after this week...I do voluntary work and have 2 meetings this week and a family birthday on Friday then off to Sunderland Sat and Sun.

Sure whenever is fine for me no rush will hang on to them for you :)

Doodles

I wanted to ask you with the hookup you have in the other van i noticed you still have a double socket inside the van.How do you get power to it?

AuldTam

I wanted to ask you with the hookup you have in the other van i noticed you still have a double socket inside the van.How do you get power to it?

The kitchen socket just plugs into the rcd unit (as an extension cable would in the house). I have a 12volt aux battery fitted in the van (also charged via a split charge relay setup) so all the 230v and 12v fittings work from inside the van. I also have a 1000watt inverter/charger with its own 230v and 12v outlets. I'll show you in detail when we meet up and explain how it all works.

To be honest the portable rcd is the easy route as you don't need to have it tested by an electrician you can do it yourself with a cheap socket tester. If you go for the mains hookup e.g. cutting holes in the van and running hidden cables, etc you better know what you are doing or you could potentially make the whole van 230v LIVE if you fit it wrong...I prefer everything in the van works off 12volts then I'm not 230v dependent.

Doodles

The kitchen socket just plugs into the rcd unit (as an extension cable would in the house). I have a 12volt aux battery fitted in the van (also charged via a split charge relay setup) so all the 230v and 12v fittings work from inside the van. I also have a 1000watt inverter/charger with its own 230v and 12v outlets. I'll show you in detail when we meet up and explain how it all works.

To be honest the portable rcd is the easy route as you don't need to have it tested by an electrician you can do it yourself with a cheap socket tester. If you go for the mains hookup e.g. cutting holes in the van and running hidden cables, etc you better know what you are doing or you could potentially make the whole van 230v LIVE if you fit it wrong...I prefer everything in the van works off 12volts then I'm not 230v dependent.

Bloody brilliant!!! this is the way to go for me for sure thank you very much.

AuldTam

Bloody brilliant!!! this is the way to go for me for sure thank you very much.

I think it's a wise decision to go this route if its your first conversion...you can always retro-fit 230v if you want to...some self builders are pretty much professionals and make it look easy, they know how to install the electrics e.g. you must consider movement when driving and possibly chaffing wires, etc...it's probably safest to install conduit first if you running 230v cables.

Even with 12v I try to be very careful how I route the wiring and use gromets and plenty of pvc tape when passing it through metal surfaces. I speak from experience..you get quite a fright when sparks start flying and all the lights go out...:eek:

AuldTam

You've seen this, but worth repeating :lol-053:

318490_3872598406711_1491023249_n.jpg

:) we've been to a few Newcastle games too, we usually go to the Irish Centre before the game then into the Gallowgate End, I'm registered with both clubs...but we find Sunderland easier to park up and spend the weekend...I'm thinking about getting tickets for the big derby game next month...

It'll be Toon Army or Balloon Army depending on the result :juggle:...Martin O'Neill has made some good signings this season...It could be a cracking game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)