New Victron Feature

wildebus

Forum Member
And this feature really is a game-changer IMO!!
It is something Victron is calling "Remote connectivity to VictronConnect"

To configure the various Bluetooth-enabled devices such as the MPPT Solar Controller, BMV Battery Monitor you use Victron Connect on your phone and had to be close enough to your van for the Bluetooth to be in range (and Victron Bluetooth range has never been that good :( ).

Well now, 'Bluetooth' range is 10,000 miles at least. In the ISS and want to reconfigure the Solar Controller in your Motorhome? No worries 👩‍🚀 👨‍🚀

What is now possible is to use Victron Connect via the Internet (Victron VRM to be exact) to connect to any VE.Direct Devices (such as the BMV and MPPT) that are connected to a Victron GX device, such as the CCGX, the Venus GX (which I have) or the new Cerbo GX for example.
This also works on the Raspberry Pi, which comes up as a "Generic Venus Device", and I confirmed this by connecting to a Pi running Venus OS 200 miles away and changing the settings of the BMV-712 connected to it :)
Robert @RAW, you will like #2 in the list below :D

So Game-changer #1
You no longer need to be close to your vehicle to make changes to any parameters on any connected devices. This has been possible for the VE.Bus devices already but this means full control for ALL connected devices
Game-changer #2
You now longer have to chose between a Bluetooth Dongle connection OR a VE.Direct connection on a device without built-in Bluetooth (BMVs other than the 712, or the Blue Solar, or Phoenix Inverters for example). You can have the device connected AND still have full configuation capability at the same time.
So the flexibility of the BlueSolar MPPT has shot up to very nearly equal the Smart Solar.
Game-changer #3 (for me)
You can remotely connect to other peoples devices if they don't know how to set them up (as long as they have a GX device and VRM account active of course) and do it for them or troubleshoot the configuration.

Have a read of this article to see how to do it.

And watch Jonos video within it.

Reactions: RAW

Nabsim

Forum Member
Not sure if I am understanding properly, not unusual, you do still need another device as well as the bluetooth don’t you? I am running this version and have a VRM login but nothing to get data from the monitor to the cloud.

you aren’t saying you no longer need a pi or Victron device are you?

wildebus

Forum Member
Not sure if I am understanding properly, not unusual, you do still need another device as well as the bluetooth don’t you? I am running this version and have a VRM login but nothing to get data from the monitor to the cloud.

you aren’t saying you no longer need a pi or Victron device are you?
Nope, it is if you have an Victron GX device connected to the Internet (and VRM), you don't need Bluetooth to connect to the devices to configure them.
Basically Victron have eliminated the need to having to have BOTH ways to connect. If you have VRM access to your system, you can do away with the need for Bluetooth

Nabsim

Forum Member
Bugger, will still need something else to get my connect data on the cloud the. Was hoping I had missed something.

Fir me the latest is worse as it seems to want to open VRM first rather than local, I have a delay until I can open local

wildebus

Forum Member
Bugger, will still need something else to get my connect data on the cloud the. Was hoping I had missed something.

Fir me the latest is worse as it seems to want to open VRM first rather than local, I have a delay until I can open local
It should remember the last setting (local or VRM) so once you have selected Local it should stay on Local.

xsilvergs

Forum Member
@wildebus

What version does your Victron Connect app show?
Screenshot_20200611-161829.jpg

wildebus

Forum Member
I have same as the screenshot. My App has the same options and tabs as walked through by Jono in his video.

Nabsim

Forum Member
Mine is set already signed in to vrm account, is that why?

if I leave the app open and just go in and out it will keep last setting Dave but if I close the app then open it tries VRM first

Squiffy

Forum Member
And this feature really is a game-changer IMO!!
It is something Victron is calling "Remote connectivity to VictronConnect"

To configure the various Bluetooth-enabled devices such as the MPPT Solar Controller, BMV Battery Monitor you use Victron Connect on your phone and had to be close enough to your van for the Bluetooth to be in range (and Victron Bluetooth range has never been that good :( ).

Well now, 'Bluetooth' range is 10,000 miles at least. In the ISS and want to reconfigure the Solar Controller in your Motorhome? No worries 👩‍🚀 👨‍🚀

What is now possible is to use Victron Connect via the Internet (Victron VRM to be exact) to connect to any VE.Direct Devices (such as the BMV and MPPT) that are connected to a Victron GX device, such as the CCGX, the Venus GX (which I have) or the new Cerbo GX for example.
This also works on the Raspberry Pi, which comes up as a "Generic Venus Device", and I confirmed this by connecting to a Pi running Venus OS 200 miles away and changing the settings of the BMV-712 connected to it :)
Robert @RAW, you will like #2 in the list below :D

So Game-changer #1
You no longer need to be close to your vehicle to make changes to any parameters on any connected devices. This has been possible for the VE.Bus devices already but this means full control for ALL connected devices
Game-changer #2
You now longer have to chose between a Bluetooth Dongle connection OR a VE.Direct connection on a device without built-in Bluetooth (BMVs other than the 712, or the Blue Solar, or Phoenix Inverters for example). You can have the device connected AND still have full configuation capability at the same time.
So the flexibility of the BlueSolar MPPT has shot up to very nearly equal the Smart Solar.
Game-changer #3 (for me)
You can remotely connect to other peoples devices if they don't know how to set them up (as long as they have a GX device and VRM account active of course) and do it for them or troubleshoot the configuration.

Have a read of this article to see how to do it.

And watch Jonos video within it.
Game changer it maybe Dave but at that price I think I'll stay with changing it in blue tooth range, I really can not imagine when I'm desperately going to want to change any settings while I'm away from the van, innovative but a costly gimmick. 😆Phil

wildebus

Forum Member
Game changer it maybe Dave but at that price I think I'll stay with changing it in blue tooth range, I really can not imagine when I'm desperately going to want to change any settings while I'm away from the van, innovative but a costly gimmick. 😆Phil
Not a gimmick and it doesn't cost anything if you have the kit already, but adds extra features for zero cost. So even if it WERE a gimmick, if is a free one.

Squiffy

Forum Member
For what reason would you spend ,£287 just so that you could change a parameter on your van when for 30years if I needed to change anything I'd wait till either I got home or I walked out to the van and changed it manually for nothing. Yes if you already own the equipment and have paid £200+ for it, it makes sense to use it but in my view such as it is would be a minor convenience.
As for it being a gimmick if it were an essential way for something to be controlled then no it's not a gimmick, but if it's a case of look what I can do, I think I'll call it gimmicky and keep £287+ for something a little more necessary. But as you often say Dave its Horses for courses I suppose, the world will move on and things like this will get to the point where humans will regard this type of thing as essential. Phil

xsilvergs

Forum Member
For what reason would you spend ,£287 just so that you could change a parameter on your van when for 30years if I needed to change anything I'd wait till either I got home or I walked out to the van and changed it manually for nothing. Yes if you already own the equipment and have paid £200+ for it, it makes sense to use it but in my view such as it is would be a minor convenience.
As for it being a gimmick if it were an essential way for something to be controlled then no it's not a gimmick, but if it's a case of look what I can do, I think I'll call it gimmicky and keep £287+ for something a little more necessary. But as you often say Dave its Horses for courses I suppose, the world will move on and things like this will get to the point where humans will regard this type of thing as essential. Phil

You sound like my mother-in-law! We don't like change. ;-)

Squiffy

Forum Member
Your right I remember when if the car engine broke down you got out a role of tools from the boot and 90% of the time you were on your way within half an hour, not any more even the AA or RAC can't help 90% of the modern computer brained vehicles now, yes I do yearn for the old days in some things when mechanics were mechanics not fitters, when you repaired an alternator/dynamo not just replace it, when you didn't throw a perfectly serviceable (once repaired) bit of kit away and squander more earthly resources, well I've had my rant but your mother in law sounds like a great person to me. 😁. Phil

wildebus

Forum Member
It's amazing how many people waste their money on gimmicks isn't.

Think I might tell this chap here who posted his opinion on the Victron Community site regarding this new gimmick he clearly is wasting his money ....

How good is the remote feature of Victron Connect!!!

I need to get this of my chest :)

I'm working with a lot of tech of different sort. But Victron gear is just a highlight for me. I run 30 sites now and the ability to remote control MPPTs and BMVs leaves me ecstatic.

Then again, maybe the users of the equipment at the 30 sites might not think so?

Squiffy

Forum Member
Bravo for him Dave, as I said if its necessary then it's not a gimmick, for 99% of us on here it's a gimmick 🥱. Phil

Squiffy

Forum Member
Your not aspiring to be an agent for Victron by any chance Dave, because then I could understand your obsession with the latest victron application and its potential profit indications. 😄 Phil

Squiffy

Forum Member
Well dont forget to dig the post holes at least one 1/4 the depth of the post height before concrete is applied, good luck with the project though, 😅😅😅.Phil

P.s. You must be part of the 1% then Squirrel.

wildebus

Forum Member
I am at my computer and thought I would just try something ....

Victron Connect is really a Smartphone App and connects via Bluetooth to configure Victron Devices that are Bluetooth enabled. But there is a PC version that I think (never tried) will talk to a VE.Direct device (BMV or MPPT for example) if they have a VE.Direct to USB cable that is connected to the PC.
This is what you would usually see if you ran Victron Connect on your PC ...
1594116697830.png

But it occured to me with the new feature I posted about, maybe this PC will now do a bit more?

So I clicked on the VRM button that has now appeared on the software and we get a list of VRM Installations!
1594116964537.png

Click on the one you want and you see the Venus Device and the VE.Direct devices attached to it :)
1594117076202.png

And finally click on a device and you are in the device config :D
1594117147543.png

This new feature really will be handy for anyone remotely administering or monitoring installations as they can do everything on the PC and not have to have an internet enabled phone.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)