New Old Merc and Needs a Good Clean

RAW

Forum Member
Talbot up for sale and pictures here

New Old Merc Purchased 2000 Year, 311CDi, kind of smaller space wise inside but a lot nicer and easier to drive than the Talbot
Also surprisingly has 3 leisure batteries, all matched Bosch. 3 x 90AH - need to work out the wiring
Carver Cascade that I need to work out too - new to me
Lots of Exploration to do.
Found a pool of water on passenger side door sill this morning after heavy rain last night, Errrr - not sure yet but looks like top seal around door perhaps.
BIG CLEAN required as somewhat smelly by last owner with Dogs and also dirty (no offence dog owners), started cleaning this morning with Elbow Grease water and Rags, gets the worst muck off. Carpets will need a deep wash and also the seats etc. Spraying Febreeze everywhere and lighting incense is making a small impact!
20200213_082317.jpg

Coat reflective as sticking out into the street where I live a bit, will get moved soon though.
What do you think ?

Nabsim

Forum Member
Welcome to the Sprinter club 👍

Is it already kitted out? Paintwork looks good in the pic 👍

we just have Lino with some small mats in ours, hate to think what it would be if we had carpet

Reactions: RAW

RAW

Forum Member
Yes - Has an Electrolux Fridge, large cooker, shower and toilet - fixed double bed.
There is a Carver Gas water heater that I need to find out more about and a small solar panel so getting extra solar will be first thing I think.
Discovered pool of water this morning on passenger side sill, so wondering if the seal around door is gone, but on first look seems OK.

Nabsim

Forum Member
Obvious I know but was door and window properly shut to? If you push against the door when it’s shut is there and play?

Folks on here should be able to help with water heater I would think, sounds good then, everything there to start with 👍

RAW

Forum Member
door and window properly shut to
Possibly the Window might have been slightly open !!
RE. Door, when I was on motorway drive back I was honked by another Sprinter Driver (THANKS) overtaking me because the driver door was not closed properly, I knew that anyway due to excessive wind noise but couldn't open it on busy motorway doing 60 plus, anyway drives far nicer than Sylvia. A bigger issue is the heating in the Cab which does not work, not at all, so could be controls or heater matrix from what I have read. Not sure where to start with that. Maybe by taking some of the dash apart I guess ? Got any ideas ?

Nabsim

Forum Member
Not had to touch my normal heater, only looked at the addition Eberspacher and not got anywhere with that. If you need a manual you will get one on Sprinter-Forum.com, don’t be put off by it being American. Ask any questions, ours are T1N vans

I have downloaded bits so if you want to message me with a email address I can send you stuff. I am just going out with the dogs though so could be a few hours.

• Thank You

RAW

Forum Member
Thanks, I just got this one as no Tool Station close by....
Reviews seem OK

When I use it do I have to change the coolant fluid afterwards ? So if I drive about in the Van for a week and then the Flush has done it's job is it then best to flush the coolant and re-fill ? (Not a motor mechanic BTW)

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
I'd be tempted to keep it in until I noticed some warmth or leaks appear. I guess a 100 miles or so. If I'd noticed an improvement with the heating, I'd dump the water and try to flush some clean water though to remove any rubbish trapped. Then repeat the procedure with some more cleaner and just plain water. Not when there is a chance of freezing. If all is good wash that out and refill with 50% water antifreeze.

wildebus

Forum Member
Obvious I know but was door and window properly shut to? If you push against the door when it’s shut is there and play?

Folks on here should be able to help with water heater I would think, sounds good then, everything there to start with 👍
Ref this :)
I have a similar issue with my doors. Drivers door especially. adjusted the hinges so nice and tight but the window frames often tend not to fully close. I found a pool of water in the passenger side step due to this.
So Robert, don't panic about this too much and try to find the leak - it is more obvious then you may think! (and less serious if not still a bit annoying)

Anyways, back to the van ... Looks nice. Body remarkably good for that age sprinter!
Would be the MWB model you have there, which is same length as the same age Master LWB for example. My VW LT is the same as your MB Sprinter except for the engine & gearbox (and it is LWB not MWB).
Nice CaravanStore awning there as well (I like those as veyre easy to just slide off if you are not using then (if you have a place to store that is! I don't for my 4M one sao it has to live on the rail)).

If you want to take a trip north, we can have a go with my AutoSmart Vortex. That does a very good deep clean using upholstry cleaner and an air compressor.
Here is a before and after from my VW T5 seats ....

Front Dual Passenger
by David, on Flickr

Front Dual Passenger - After
by David, on Flickr

RAW

Forum Member
If you want to take a trip north, we can have a go with my AutoSmart Vortex. That does a very good deep clean using upholstry cleaner and an air compressor.
Here is a before and after from my VW T5 seats ....
Hey, that's very kind. Thanks. Yes maybe that would be doable in a few weeks, currently wacking neutradol carpet cleaner (like shake n vac) on the carpets and trying to reduce the smell of dog(s). Have washed internal once and driving to missus later today for Valentine's day and to park Van there as she has a steam cleaner so she is going to have a go with that.
Trying to work out what looks like some fairly mad wiring in places and plugged Van into 240V as leisure batteries were reading 12.2V this morning. Now at work so no more testing to be done. More later though or in the week :)

Nabsim

Forum Member
Do you have electric window? I noticed on mine that when I get out of the van I sometimes catch the button and put passenger window down an inch or two. Used to think itwasCaz until I noticed it a few times on my own. I now check every time I get out.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
AutoSmart Vortex
So I had to Google, what the hell is this?? It's nice to share others experience. Took a while to find a real action one. Yes it appears to work well, but my thought was it's spraying the inside of the car with muck! Anita has a look and says it's pushing the muck into the upholstery.
So where is the sucking bit to remove the dirt?

• Funny

wildebus

Forum Member
So I had to Google, what the hell is this?? It's nice to share others experience. Took a while to find a real action one. Yes it appears to work well, but my thought was it's spraying the inside of the car with muck! Anita has a look and says it's pushing the muck into the upholstery.
So where is the sucking bit to remove the dirt?
well, it isn't spraying the inside of the car with muck, I can tell you that. No there is no sucking bit and Yes it works very well (not just appearing to do so)
Also good for hard surfaces ... The cab plastic mat was totally filthy after 15 years of never having been cleaned. The Vortex worked on that very well and while it still shows signs of wear and discolouration of course, it is clean enough to eat your dinner off

Trim Back
by David, on Flickr
To do this level of clean manually would take an age.

Millie Master

Forum Member
On flooring plastics such as the front cab area I find that the utterly brilliant Bilt Hamber (UK manufacturer) Surfex HD liquid mixed at only quite a weak strength works superbly, brush it on, leave for a few minutes and simply wipe it off.
I use the very same product when washing my cars to clean their wheels as well as an engine cleaner on my MG.

Phil

RAW

Forum Member
Do you have electric window? I noticed on mine that when I get out of the van I sometimes catch the button and put passenger window down an inch or two. Used to think itwasCaz until I noticed it a few times on my own. I now check every time I get out.
Old fashioned windy handle job on mine

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)