Mechanism for drop down bed/using memory foam mattress topper as a bed

Ed on Toast

I have a Wiensberg Komet with a pull down bed over the cab (Head to Toe, traverse 2 mtrs)

A metal frame, with 2" metal mesh base, on which sits the original 2 piece mattress ( 2 x approx 2ft x 6ft ) on this I have added a 2" memory foam topper.

Lift is assisted by 2 x gas struts (which i am currently looking to have replaced and slightly bigger)

I find it really comfortable to sleep on and its ability to lift and lock, means it does not eat into my daytime internal space.

When lowered it is about 3 ft high (from the floor) so stepping into the bench seat, is easy for access and egress.

The addition of the memory foam topper, has massively improved the quality of my sleep. I think the original mattress of 4" with an addition 2" of topper, is the best combination as it is firm with comfort on top. I am not sure if all memory foam might not offer the same qualities. Although, a combination of two densities of foam would achieve much the same effect.

Recommendations for Gas Strut upgrade supply and fit company/individual?

tranivanman

looks good but expensive.

if any one makes one it would be good to see pictures.

tranivanman

REC

Forum Member
We have a bed fixed transversely in our swb relay.OH is 6' 1" and I am 5'9" and we both sleep comfortably ! Dave is prone to a bad back and sciatica but we have been in the van for up to a month ( longest so far) with no problems. We do plan to upgrade to a higher top mwb van just for the head height but plan to have the bed the same way as it works for us!

bedonwheels

This is somewhat along the lines of one of the ideas I had, but thought in practice it would look too messy and heath robinson esque.

haven't got it yet but will probably be a mwb high roof transit.

After reading the other guys posts its clear I'm being over ambitious.

Alternatively, does anyone have experience of sleeping on a transverse bed thats slightly too short for them? I'm 183cm and the transit after insulation would be about 170. Do you think I would adjust to sleeping slightly diagonally? Unfortunately the 187cm ducato/relay/boxer is out of my price range and I can't find any other vans that are wider than 180cm.

For your mattress search Ebay for bespoke caravan memory foam mattress, not dear and there's a couple of firms offering them. Mine's 6" thick and extremely comfy. In my old van I had 4" thick foam that was too thin but once I'd put abouy three quilts on top it was like sleeping in a cloud!

I've got a MWB Sprinter and experimented on the orientation of the bed [at the back] it was ply-lined so I got 12 of those thin joist hangers and 6 lengths of 3 x 2" timber and used the carpeted plywood from the bulkhead as the base initially king-size. Then I temporarily imported my old van's foam mattress and tried it both ways. I'm not as tall as you but never had a problem with the van's width being shorter than me. I often travel solo on business so firstly I need as much 'van space' as possible, - if I did want to stretch out I could go slightly diagonal. My mattress is 160 long x 170 wide and 60cms off of the floor. Only because the tv is at the front do I find myself sleeping 'North - South' with my feet poking out of the end of the bed... funnily enough as I always get to hot that suits me well. So I settled on only losing the last 160 cms of floorspace and removed 2 joist hangers and one 3x2.

As for a pull down this is something I've been looking into but being simple would only work on a rear bed.... Someone else suggested a cable system which I think is a good idea, perhaps each corner of the bed frame could have a sturdy metal pin that runs in a guide channel and is cable hoisted...

My van however is very Heath Robinson... my excuse is that it's a working van that I can live in for a few weeks at a time...

Doddy6

Apologies if it has been mentioned before. I have a Duvalay mattress, memory foam and sleeping bag combined- it cuts down the bed making to about zero. I have a plywood solo unit and the Duvalay is great. Depth of foam is an option.

witzend

Forum Member
Don't think what ever bed you end up with that a 4" m/f mattress will be thick enough I'd go for at least 8". If it needs shaping I found a electric carving knife the best to cut it with

badgerdid

I once had a caravan that wasnt quite wide enough and it was horrible, dont forget it isnt just your height, you have to add a bit for the pillow, you tend to sleep half way down a pillow so need to add that to the width. When i built mine i decided it had to have at least 6 foot long beds to be comfy. I just used cushions from a caravan with the slats from ikea, and they work a treat.

tranivanman

Don't think what ever bed you end up with that a 4" m/f mattress will be thick enough I'd go for at least 8". If it needs shaping I found a electric carving knife the best to cut it with

yes that is what i use and ive done several foam beds and it works very well
tranivanman.

jennyp19

You need a layer of normal foam and memory foam together as memory foam bottoms out - that's how it moulds to your body. If you're heavy it can be a nightmare if it's too deep as you'll struggle to move around in/on it.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)