Mechanism for drop down bed/using memory foam mattress topper as a bed

transitcat

Hi, two questions really. Firstly, has anyone done a drop down bed design like they have in the posh Hymer A class motorhomes? I've been thinking about it and can't figure out a simple and robust mechanism to lower it from the roof. Maybe that's why I've never seen one on a self build.

And secondly, I found a website that does a cheap 4inch slab of memory foam. For someone who likes a soft bed would this alone work as a mattress (on top of a piece of plywood with holes drilled in)? This would be very light and thin and would make a fold down bed more of a possibility.

I appreciate that the KISS principle is probably the way to go when building your first campervan but a simple and dependable drop down bed would save a lot of space for me and means I can have a one piece and ready made bed. thanks a lot. great forum btw

rugbyken

Forum Member
The older Hymers use the sort of hydraulic Rams used on car boots and bonnets to assist movement, the newer models easily recognised by the slab shaped front have a spring loaded cantilever system , both would I imagine take a fair bit of development , there are several vans around now with a central drop down bed that normally utilise a basic wire rope and pulley system that might be achievable using the sort of wind up/down system that Coleman use in their trailer tents!

Lee

You might be better off thinking of using the webbing in seat belts and a pulley system rather than the system used in A class motor homes, as I have a Pilote and the bed system is attached to the side of the van roughly where the windows would be in a van.
I'm not sure how you would achieve pulley system but I feel it probably the best way to go.

delicagirl

Sleeping on thin ply, depending on your body mass/weight, would need good support for the ply, and i doubt that a 4" memory foam would give you enough depth of softness under yer bum for a good nights sleep.

i suspect that the reason folks want to store the bed elsewhere is all that "bed-making and all that faffing about" with tucking in sheets/duvets/blankets etc etc

i have a van in which i have two dining area bench seats opposite each other with the table in between them. At night if i want to sleep downstairs i drop the table down and put two of the upholstered bench seat backs onto the table to make a full double bed. I have a wonderful vision of being able to store my foam mattress, wrapped up in cosy sheets, with duvet on top, and pillows top and bottom, and stored in a large piece of netting hung from the roof which i would lower and raise up night and morning.... whether this is feasible or not i dont know... but it sounds possible to me.

But i do have a lot of headroom in my van - maybe you dont

transitcat

Sleeping on thin ply, depending on your body mass/weight, would need good support for the ply, and i doubt that a 4" memory foam would give you enough depth of softness under yer bum for a good nights sleep.

i suspect that the reason folks want to store the bed elsewhere is all that "bed-making and all that faffing about" with tucking in sheets/duvets/blankets etc etc

i have a van in which i have two dining area bench seats opposite each other with the table in between them. At night if i want to sleep downstairs i drop the table down and put two of the upholstered bench seat backs onto the table to make a full double bed. I have a wonderful vision of being able to store my foam mattress, wrapped up in cosy sheets, with duvet on top, and pillows top and bottom, and stored in a large piece of netting hung from the roof which i would lower and raise up night and morning.... whether this is feasible or not i dont know... but it sounds possible to me.

But i do have a lot of headroom in my van - maybe you dont
This is somewhat along the lines of one of the ideas I had, but thought in practice it would look too messy and heath robinson esque.

what type of van have you got
haven't got it yet but will probably be a mwb high roof transit.

After reading the other guys posts its clear I'm being over ambitious.

Alternatively, does anyone have experience of sleeping on a transverse bed thats slightly too short for them? I'm 183cm and the transit after insulation would be about 170. Do you think I would adjust to sleeping slightly diagonally? Unfortunately the 187cm ducato/relay/boxer is out of my price range and I can't find any other vans that are wider than 180cm.

delicagirl

This is somewhat along the lines of one of the ideas I had, but thought in practice it would look too messy and heath robinson esque.

Alternatively, does anyone have experience of sleeping on a transverse bed thats slightly too short for them? I'm 183cm and the transit after insulation would be about 170. Do you think I would adjust to sleeping slightly diagonally? Unfortunately the 187cm ducato/relay/boxer is out of my price range and I can't find any other vans that are wider than 180cm.

i would not recommend it - your spine, hip flexors and posture will suffer and you will be forever waking up kicking the side of the van....

delicagirl

Does that matter ? its your van - you do what you like with it..... i suggest you go to a meet here and look round everyone's van.... we Love showing off our vans - will get loads of ideas from others creativity

Darcar

Forum Member
I've seen some panel vans with a pod grafted onto the side, to give enough withe to sleep across the van?

But I do think that a drop down bed is something that could work if you have the head room.
Some vans have a lifting bed, over the garage area which is on a wind up/down winch system. I think this would be easy to make as your building your van. You could build in the rests which the bed would stop on when down, & fix in a bolt lock for when the bed is up!
Good luck with your build...

Darren.

colinmd

I'm sure the La Strada we looked at had gas rams, I know that's the way i'd go I've used secondhand ones before on various jobs.
A short bed is no good, many years ago I saw a Globecar/Possl on a Renault Master that had a 'bulged' side to make the bed long enough, this was where you might normaly fit a window.

Deleted member 2473

kitchenette

Was you cooking in van ? Smell is something I am concerned about high rise beds
Ply is heavy 20 18 mm
2 singles slated beds bolted together, much lighter.
Bottom fixings much more important than that holding it up
Bed weight 30 /50 kgs with fixings and pilows? Up . Down 300kg with a nights beer.:lol-049:

delicagirl

David i now think i may have been sold a really awful memory foam mattress.....:(

Private

Diagonal

Sleeping diagonally is safe. You will not be in a physically different body position but a different position relative to the van's sides. It is not ideal as you restrict head and foot sideways movement due to them being in the narrowest areas, but it won't harm you.
On my van I cut away the inner panneling etc right down to the van metal body then glued some polystyrene on to it for insulation. I then covered with car carpet and it works fine to allow the maximum length possible on my transverse bed.
I wouldn't recommend either method as a first choice but they both work adequately when choice is limited.

Harry

I've got a ford transit I've got a fixed bed in it if you have the bed about half way up the side of the van you get 74" as some one said don't ply line at the top or bottom of the bed area just glue insulation on then carpet we find it ok I'm 5'7" and my Mrs is 5'4" and you get a large storage area underneath it with access from the rear doors suits us well

Harry

In your case can't you cut a hole in the side of the van to stick your feet through but I wouldn't advise doing that to a boat

Bossangel

I'm also 183cm and I have the bed length ways at 190cm not widthways

hairydog

Whether it is a memory foam mattress, a foam mattress or a sprung mattress, it really does matter that it is resting on a ventilated (and preferably sprung) base. Hymers use wooden slats that are springy and slightly bendy, with their ends on plastic clips. That allows some give to the base and also allows the base of the mattress to breathe. And that's important, unless you want it to rot.

IanH

I remember seeing one which had the bed stored vertically and lowered onto the tops of the settee cushions etc when needed
Could be stored edge on (so only 4ft "high" when stored) albeit still 6ft long

As always advantages and disadvantages but in both above cases, no mechanism required???

Think it was a Chasson?? Anyone else know?

Rod

Forum Member
Salvage Yards

You might want to look at recovering an A class bed frame from a breakers yard.
My mobile has a drop down bed and the gas strut hinge mechanism is bolted to the side of the van. You may have to cut the bed frame to get it out and then reweld to your van width.
Most A class beds sleep transversely using the wider body width.
You maybe able to regig the frame to your width and extend to sleep longitudinally.
Good luck.
Rod

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)