Mayby avoid this controller

Red Dwarf

Forum Member
I guess when you buy cheapo electronics you take a chance. That said, I bought the cheapest solar controller I could find on fleabay when I built my van and so far so good.
I don’t begin to pretend I understand how it all works, though I would have thought doing the experiment with a battery that was partially discharged might have been a tad more convincing. Like I said, I claim ignorance with this, so shoot me down gently!

trevskoda

Forum Member
This has never gave any trouble and also puts a 1ah charge too the starter battery.
charge unit a.png

trevskoda

Forum Member
Ha I say, HA!! in your dreams, so instead of buying one this that does all you buy two.
No buy one but add the white box if you want, i dont have it and only a voltage unit on the dash, im not a battery current in out watcher.
My dash has one nerest s wheel for engine batt and one to passenger side for les batts, £1 each on ebay.
dash a.png

Duckato

Forum Member
During the lockdown months I did a fair bit of work on local vans and snavarac. I encountered three of those dreadful fake mppt, blue pwm controllers often peddled on eBay that were boiling batteries each one had defaulted seemingly overnight to 24v so were significantly overcharging the leisure batteries.

I assume pwm must be of some use to someone because even Victron flog them to their I assume super knowledgeable fan boys but whenever I see any packaged in the format like those pictured above I want to see what’s inside to be certain it is what the manglefacturer claims it is!

Pudsey Bear

Forum Member
Knowing what was inside was why I bought the ones I used.

Manglefacturer.

I hope I remember that one, not heard it before :D :D :D

Duckato

Forum Member
A lot of manglefacturers churn out stuff not fit for porpoise! Or subject to unsubstantiated claims, there’s a raft of overrated solar panels currently being peddled on ScamBay at the moment either that or they’ve made a major breakthrough in efficiency!

Pudsey Bear

Forum Member
Nice to find someone else who is less than happy with the way worms are made, Liz and I are always doing it, familily and friends can't understand us when we get going, we think some worms are just too long so we lop a bit off :D :D

wildebus

Forum Member
During the lockdown months I did a fair bit of work on local vans and snavarac. I encountered three of those dreadful fake mppt, blue pwm controllers often peddled on eBay that were boiling batteries each one had defaulted seemingly overnight to 24v so were significantly overcharging the leisure batteries.

I assume pwm must be of some use to someone because even Victron flog them to their I assume super knowledgeable fan boys but whenever I see any packaged in the format like those pictured above I want to see what’s inside to be certain it is what the manglefacturer claims it is!
If your need for solar is just providing a holding charge when parked up and not using the van, then a PWM controller would do the job. It is not as if they are no use at all, but just not as good or effective as an MPPT alternative.

Personally I never fit a PWM Solar Controller, and furthermore, I would not fit any of unknown brand MPPT controllers that are for sale by random sellers as you just don't know if they are really what they claim to be or how well they will last even if they are.

Being a Victron fan boy ( ;) ), I just stick to fitting Victron in my own Van, or when doing setups for anyone else. You know what you are getting, you know it is designed right, and you know if it goes wrong (yes, Victron kit fails just like anything else), you know you will just get a replacement without any hassles. Fit unknown stuff and any margin you make in the kit soon disappears on remedial work and replacements.

Commericially, there is no point IMO in the supply & fit of bargain controllers as the margin on usuable bargain ones is so low it is just not worth it. I have a bunch of PWM controllers in the shed which I used to take to VW shows for people who wanted to dip their toes in the water of solar. I think I sold them for around a tenner each and only had them so those folk who just wanted to try Solar could have something to take away and do so, but I'd always tell them they would want something better later one - they were a temporary placeholder for the cables!

trevskoda

Forum Member
Yes I have a few pwm units fitted until wildebus put my head straight, now running a votronic 250 duel for the last few years and am very pleased with it, today even with low light it's still bumping the batteries up.:)

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)