LPG Gas Fitter wanted

Joolzy

Hi
Can anyone recommend an LPG gas fitter in the Midlands area? We were due to have the work done Weds but the fitter (Sail and Trail) have just cancelled so we need to get it done somewhere else.

Many thanks

vwalan

anyone can do it. a competant person is all thats required . gas safe etc even the old corgi doesnt cover m,homes .

delicagirl

anyone can do it ?????? oh really . a competant person is all thats required . gas safe etc even the old corgi doesnt cover m,homes .

This is one of the most irresponsible posts i have ever read on here - especially to a question from a new member........ i am surprised at you Alan

van gas leak has appalling results.....

GASSAFE register do have LPG fitters, although there are not many of them ..... call GASSAFE tomorrow and ask if they could find an engineer in your area ?

vwalan

This is one of the most irresponsible posts i have ever read on here - especially to a question from a new member........ i am surprised at you Alan

van gas leak has appalling results.....

GASSAFE register do have LPG fitters, although there are not many of them ..... call GASSAFE tomorrow and ask if they could find an engineer in your area ?

shame you cant read properly i did say competent person is all thats required .
might be they mean someone that can read things and understand simple things .
but never mind .

channa

MCEA ACop engineer can do the job unless you intend renting. I am in West Yorks so realistically cant help but happy to give guidance

Channa

channa

shame you cant read properly i did say competent person is all thats required .
might be they mean someone that can read things and understand simple things .
but never mind .
I don't doubt your competence with a spanner Alan, But are you up to speed with the regs, that keeps insurers happy in the event of incident ? I suspect not Perhaps competence stretches beyond the remit of being useful with a spanner

Channa

janner

i know a fair few diy'ers that would reckon to being competent,not many that admit to being incompetent.
Builders can earn a good wack putting things right/safe again.
all the best.
jan [competent enough for my own van]

Darcar

Forum Member
Gas installations isn't that hard to do really, if you confident & comfortable with this type of work. It's within a diy motor home, builders capability.

Although I wouldn't recommend it if you don't think you can do it. Much the same with electric installation.

Darren.

countrycruisers

Gas Safe

As a Gas Safe engineer for LPG & Nat gas can I recommend you go to Gas Safe web site type in your post code and the type of work. Incidentally LPG comes under commercial. It will give you a list of local engineers

witzend

Forum Member
MCEA ACop engineer can do the job Channa

So anyone really after a 5 day course whether competent or not. I think I'd rather have someone with experience I've seen to many who've completed a course and still have no common sense or practical ability.

Courses are held at our own training facilities in Wiltshire and are of 5 days duration (Monday to Friday). this is from the mcea site Mobile Caravan Engineers Association - Train to become a Self Employed Mobile Caravan Engineer.

groyne

Do you call a gas fitter to change a Calor gas bottle? Because if you do it yourself, you are making a gas tight joint.

rugbyken

Forum Member
these short i.e. 5 day courses normally have criteria that they are only upskilling an already trained person, the act of parliament that set the gas conditions state in one paragraph 'competent person' the gas regs then take about a dozen pages explaining exactly what qualifications are reguired to be competent, but part of those regs state if carrying out 'work' for hire or reward , so perfectly legal to do work yourself but illegal to do it for someone else!!

trevskoda

Forum Member
I would think if someone asked here for a gas fitter then i would take it that there not happy to do themselves,mind you i handle around a half ton of methane a day and so far have not exploded & have no cert for doing so:lol-049:

groyne

Reading it, it sounds like it was a stand alone gas BBQ that was leaking, that happened to be in a panel van. It could have been in a house or shed with the same result.

My point about the calor gas, was that we all do things, that could be catastrophic if done wrong, but hardly think about them. But the thought of joining 2 bits of pipe (hardly a great leap from changing over a gas bottle) then suddenly you need a 5 year apprenticeship with extra knobs on.

channa

these short i.e. 5 day courses normally have criteria that they are only upskilling an already trained person, the act of parliament that set the gas conditions state in one paragraph 'competent person' the gas regs then take about a dozen pages explaining exactly what qualifications are reguired to be competent, but part of those regs state if carrying out 'work' for hire or reward , so perfectly legal to do work yourself but illegal to do it for someone else!!

Indeed, when I returned to the UK even though I was working and taught by an English company, any alteration in skill set was dependent on evidencing 2 years experience.

My interpretation of hire and reward is slightly different albeit your comment makes sense too. If the caravan / motorhome is to be used for hire or reward, The minimum qualification is ACS, (linked in with gas safe) The Acops is not acceptable.

Re peoples disdain it is "only " a 5 day course evidencing and subsequent testing hopefully stops incompetents falling through the net. I have a pal who did Acops and still 21 exams to pass,100%. Before let loose and then under the guidance of someone more experienced

Channa

hairydog

People are told all sorts of lies about this. The law is clear. Unless the motorhome is being hired out, anyone who is "competent" can do it. There is no requirement for certificates.

However, that doesn't mean it is safe, or that it is unsafe, to DIY.
The worst work I've seen done was by local Gas Safe plumbers, the neatest and safest by a keen DIYer, but hopefully these were exceptions.

Mike Parkinson

The definition of competant has changed somewhat since early days.
In the gas safety regs (which a judge would use as guidlines)it now means
"A person or class of persons who are qualified and belong to an approved regulative body".
Basically you should be qualified by the latest standard and they put the 'belonging' bit in to ensure you are gas safe registered so have a clue what you are doing.
Both sections force the person to be like that so as even a previously qualified ex engineer doesn't do the work because he might not be aware of updated current regs.
Diy'ers shouldn't be doing it in their own homes even.They get away with it if nothing goes wrong but if they affected someone else i.e blowing up their ground floor flat and injuring the occupants above them or inviting someone round for tea and entering the premises they would be stood in court.But its the HSE that prosecute not gas safe.
If they fitted their own appliance and someone dobbed them in gas safe can't touch them,only if its dangerous but as they have no powers of entry there stuck.What they then do if they suspect its unsafe is get the police(who do have powers of entry with a court warrant)to enter and the gas supplier cuts you off till its checked out and proved safe.They would first advise them to get it checked out by an engineer and give them proof but what self respecting engineer would take responsibility for it.
The appliance manufacturers are starting not to honour warranties on things not fitted and registered properly but if a diyer doesn't want a warranty and doesn't blow anyone up no one is any wiser.
Basically us gas engineers pay to be registered so gas safe can inspect our work and discipline us.While unregistered people under the radar go scot free or get advised to qualify and join the register.
A bit like walking into the cop shop and asking them to come and sit in the car whilst you drive so they can if you slip up and prosecute you!
A ridiculous situation we gas fitters got ourselves into.

Mike Parkinson

Sorry forgot to say.
That's domestic or commercial.
Gas safe couldn't give a toss about private motor vehicles as they only have a small amount of gas to blow up.They just want registration fees off installers of vehicle systems.
If you weren't hiring it out then in a problem situation there is no litigation risk so you would only hurt yourself so self preservation normally ensures you do it right first or face the consequencies of your own actions!!!!!

The reason campsites have a five metre spacing rule is so if you are parked next to someone with a dangerous system that explodes or catches fire you are generally far enough away from a life threatening situation.Nothing to do with a nice big space to play in or to make you think you got good value for the pitch fee.Its a natural protection barrier.

Last edited:

Mike Parkinson

Reading it, it sounds like it was a stand alone gas BBQ that was leaking, that happened to be in a panel van. It could have been in a house or shed with the same result.

My point about the calor gas, was that we all do things, that could be catastrophic if done wrong, but hardly think about them. But the thought of joining 2 bits of pipe (hardly a great leap from changing over a gas bottle) then suddenly you need a 5 year apprenticeship with extra knobs on.

Walk a mile in a man shoes before judging!

A lot more involved than two bits of pipe to join my friend.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)