Help with choosing length of van

bedonwheels

Size...?

I think there'd be some mileage if some bright spark could work out a simple computer based programme that took in [to name but a few options]... How many people will be in the van; any kids - so perhaps the need for bike and extra storage, - or a soundproof padded cell; going near or far; campsite or wild parking; how long do you plan for being away for; what facilities are required, any pets etc etc from there maybe some costs could be added...

For me, no more than two people and a tiny dog that would almost fit in your pocket, away for up to a month mainly wild camping with the odd Travelodge or site for a good soak in a bath it's a mwb Sprinter. Parking is OK, full headroom and a solid reliable van.

As a previous contributor so rightly said you need it larger on the inside and smaller on the outside!

bedonwheels

When choosing the base vehicle, make sure it isn't a worn out old heap.

You are adding a lot of time and money in the conversion, so something that will rust away in a year or two is a bad choice. And welding patches in will be a harder job with the habitation stuff installed than in a van shell.

Reliability will matter too, as it isn't just your vehicle when it breaks down, it's also your home and holds your posessions.

Reliability is an issue for motorhomes because they tend to stand idle for long periods then get driven long distances.

Corrosion is an issue because most converters (both DIY and professional) put insulation in without installing an effective vapour barrier on the warm side, so the bodywork rots away from hidden condensation.

Although I like the cab on a Transit, - Ford must have grabbed a load of white van men and asked 'OK chaps what do you need up front?' - and having driven a pals now and then for me Ford got it right... however another pal is an MOT tester who told me he's seen Transits come in for their first test at 3 years old with worrying degrees of rust setting in. His advice was a Sprinter... So I bought a 12 year old mwb with 165k miles on the clock. It not only is the fastest thing I've ever driven [5 cylinder 2.7 litre turbo, when empty it'll spin the wheels in third] everything works and it's like new underneath. The downside for me is with the cab, no overhead storage, - had to make my own - and although lovely to drive somehow things are nothing like as 'handy' as a Transit... you pays your money and makes your choice!

Very good point re condensation by the way!

jagmanx

Yes Yes and Maybe LWB

Recently changed from a 6.6 mt C class to a 5.5 mt PVC. The 1.1 mt length reduction and slightly narrower body make a big difference.
Reasons for changing - fed up with not being able to visit small villages and park up, all wild camp poi's now accessible, easier and much quieter to drive, better mpg, stored at home up the side of the house so more secure, easier to wild camp with as much less conspicuous, build quality appears far superior and less chance of water ingress issues which I had with my crap build quality Swift. Finally it has seriously made me consider getting rid of my car which is basically stood gathering dust on the drive as I now use the PVC for my daily needs.
It has everything the C class had, same Truma combi, same large toilet tank, a shower which is smaller but still usable, same size fresh water tank.
Obviously there are downsides namely less internal space and storage, no fixed bed, but it suits my needs as I mainly travel on my own.
If in the future I needed a larger motorhome with a fixed bed I would just go for a lwb PVC rather than go back to a C class.

For 1 person you seem to have the ideal solution

1 Big enough to live in

2 Easier to park (narrower and shorter) but LWB if more space neede

3 Easier to drive (narrower)

I guess the only other thing is height barriers but no comfort in a low MH

trevskoda

Forum Member
I went for a Transit Jumbo (4m long) to give us as much space as possible for the two of us and the dogs/room for a permanent fixed double (fed up with foldy uppy/blow up shizzle)
Have plenty of storage and room for a 'dog pod' for when they are minging wet until they have dried off....
we deliberately avoided a kitchen as such (inverter runs microwave/kettle/slow cooker/toaster) and paper plates avoid needing a sink.... and didn't bother with a toilet compartment either.

Next one will probs be a Iveco with a 4.6m back so I can sneak a loo compartment in with no loss of inside space but same basic layout.

I'm quite happy driving the longer vans as, my work one is a 4m crafter so pretty used to parking/turning etc.
No loo what the feck do you do through the night cos im up at least 3 time to point percy at the plastic,no sink either where do you wash cutlery or ones self.

mistericeman

Forum Member
No loo what the feck do you do through the night cos im up at least 3 time to point percy at the plastic,no sink either where do you wash cutlery or ones self.

We tend to be either Wilding (out in the middle of nowhere not a Lidl car park) so usually a tree for nocturnal tree watering)
or on a CL....paper/cardboard plates and recyclable plastic cutlery or we eat out at pub/etc....
washing either wetwipes if we're only away for a weekend or site as above....
when we did two weeks up the West coast of Scotland earlier in the year we stopped on a site every couple of days...
we do have a toilet tent and folding loo with bio bags too that are compostable or disposable in bins (obviously not pub ones without permission ;-))

Rodeo

Lwb Iveco daily for us.First consideration was toilet /shower plus permanent double bed across back.Lots of rear overhang past rear wheels,so easy to park if overhanging grass etc,but takes up 1 1/2 spaces in Tesco etc!
Rod

trevskoda

Forum Member
We tend to be either Wilding (out in the middle of nowhere not a Lidl car park) so usually a tree for nocturnal tree watering)
or on a CL....paper/cardboard plates and recyclable plastic cutlery or we eat out at pub/etc....
when we did two weeks up the West coast of Scotland earlier in the year we stopped on a site every couple of days...
we do have a toilet tent and folding loo with bio bags too that are compostable or disposable in bins (obviously not pub ones without permission ;-))

Good luck to you but i cannot see my wife going out at night to squirt the pink clam at some tree.

yeoblade

I couldn't put up with that for long :(- I would have fitted a loo , but maybe you're young?

mistericeman

Forum Member
I couldn't put up with that for long :(- I would have fitted a loo , but maybe you're young?
Just turned 50.... so not sure about the young bit.... I couldn't put up with a large c class/or the enclosed spaces of some of the VW's for long as it would restrict the sort of places we enjoy visiting/drive me daft folding a bed up every night ... etc etc

Like I said, we are ALL thankfully different in what we require from our adventures... and long may it be that way.

groyne

Citroen Relay L3H2, wide enough to sleep cross ways if you are under 6ft, long enough to fit a kitchen, toilet/shower room and still have plenty of storage space at the back.

maingate

Forum Member
What a boring thread this is, it is totally devoid of new ideas and creativity. :mad1:

If you don't want the length too be too much and you want to be able to stand upright then you need to exercise your little grey cells ..........

.......... just like this chap did. :cool1:

View attachment 49997

bedonwheels

Good luck to you but i cannot see my wife going out at night to squirt the pink clam at some tree.

'Pink clam', I'm absolutely rolling up here at that one!

For me it's a 1000% must to have some sort of karsey on board and a sink is damn handy too. I've known a few laaadies prepared to errm 'clam down' outside of a vehicle when caught short but at night when it's belting down with rain.... they'd have used anything including my hat instead....

bedonwheels

Citroen Relay L3H2, wide enough to sleep cross ways if you are under 6ft, long enough to fit a kitchen, toilet/shower room and still have plenty of storage space at the back.

Yes but it's French......

bedonwheels

They've never forgiven us for sinking their Navy so get their own back by sending over some bloomin dear and difficult to fix stuff... In the days of black and white tele I was a trainee mechanic in a small garage run by 3 old fellas that were mechanics during the War. One day a bloke brought in a Citroen DS19 or 21 I think it was. Without doubt a very nice looking car. You should have seen the look on these old chaps faces when they lifted the bonnet firstly to see a spare wheel on top of the lump.... I know whatever was wrong with it had them stumped for hours...

Last edited by a moderator:

Nickrock

Italian not French

A more accurate description would be that it has the badge of a french manufacturer on it.

As indicated above, All Citroen Relays and Peugeot Boxers are in reality rebadged Fiat Ducatos, which have formed the base vehicle for just about 70% of all motorhomes for decades. They are all manufactured in Sevel in Italy. Happy camping!

moelfreligwy

Ex utilities van

I got a ex electricity van it had a diesel night heater already fitted
Full service history Bridgestone tyres etc
The vans that have the flashy yellow spinning lights on have leisure batteries installed too !
Mines a mwb high roof transit
High roof is a must
I wish it was a lwb ( to fit a shower for mrs ) but it’ll do me fine
The diesel night heater is the bollocks ? wild camp even in the winter
Heating the van is a must
Get a ex utility van mate easy peasy and bargains too

REC

Forum Member
Having had a swb relay for several years now with no loo..we solved the nighttime peeing issue with a very stout 5 litre container, no problem for Dave but for me we got a whizz / shewee thing which is brilliant! I am less young now and we have just bought a 6m pvc with a loo and shower, which will be a real luxury. However, I think when wilding, we may end up conserving the waste tank and still pee in a bottle!
Amazon.com: Whiz Freedom Portable Reusable Urine Funnel: Health & Personal Care

For the original poster, we deliberated for ages between a MWB or LWB and, for two of us went for the LWB. For one person I would think a MWB could be sufficient, but as ops said, it is such an individual thing!

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)