Help with choosing length of van

mistericeman

Forum Member
after having several Renault based work vans over the last few years....
I'd be less worried about the body rusting than the mechanics exploding at just over the 100k mark....

French based shizzle isn't a goer in my book from my experiences.

Deadsfo

Vauxhall ,Renault, Nissan 76000mls ,or less new gearbox ,inevitable, everyone I know who has one ,mainly for work and had them from new has had a gearbox ,best part of £800 for recon,I know some who have had 2 gearboxes,shame because other than that they are a good vehicle oh I forgot electrics can also be sh*#e

Obanboy666

I think Sprinters are galvanised these days, but I could be wrong.

I read somewhere but not 100% sure but if you're wanted one fully proofed for rust prevention etc it was an extra. Things might be different now.

mistericeman

Forum Member
Vauxhall ,Renault, Nissan 76000mls ,or less new gearbox ,inevitable, everyone I know who has one ,mainly for work and had them from new has had a gearbox ,best part of £800 for recon,I know some who have had 2 gearboxes,shame because other than that they are a good vehicle oh I forgot electrics can also be sh*#e

Our vivaro fleet all expired sub 100k.... my example pissed power steering fluid out over the alternator and set it on fire....
Kwality stuff ;-)

Obanboy666

after having several Renault based work vans over the last few years....
I'd be less worried about the body rusting than the mechanics exploding at just over the 100k mark....

French based shizzle isn't a goer in my book from my experiences.

Well cannot imagine me having any vehicle be it my car or PVC that will ever do 100k, I tend to change them when 3 to 4 years old.
To be honest I saved the best part of £12,000 buying my PVC based on a 1 1/2 year old master versus new from Devon so I'm quids in to start with so won't lose any sleep if I have to spend a few quid on the mechanics.

trevskoda

Forum Member
I went for a Transit Jumbo (4m long) to give us as much space as possible for the two of us and the dogs/room for a permanent fixed double (fed up with foldy uppy/blow up shizzle)
Have plenty of storage and room for a 'dog pod' for when they are minging wet until they have dried off....
we deliberately avoided a kitchen as such (inverter runs microwave/kettle/slow cooker/toaster) and paper plates avoid needing a sink.... and didn't bother with a toilet compartment either.

Next one will probs be a Iveco with a 4.6m back so I can sneak a loo compartment in with no loss of inside space but same basic layout.

I'm quite happy driving the longer vans as, my work one is a 4m crafter so pretty used to parking/turning etc.

Where do you do whizys at night.:scared:never mind a scooby doo.

mistericeman

Forum Member
Well cannot imagine me having any vehicle be it my car or PVC that will ever do 100k, I tend to change them when 3 to 4 years old.
To be honest I saved the best part of £12,000 buying my PVC based on a 1 1/2 year old master versus new from Devon so I'm quids in to start with so won't lose any sleep if I have to spend a few quid on the mechanics.

Horses for courses at the end of the day chap.... we had a limited budget that just about stretched to 2500 for a 'just' sub 100k Transit Jumbo with useful bits fitted....
and with us hopefully continuing to get almost every weekend away rack up the mileage up fairly quickly.... before upgrading.

I'd still never buy anything French based even if it was next to free.

colinmd

About two years ago they 'discovered' that the problem stemmed from incorrect assembly of gearbox, this after blaming drivers for abusing the boxes, newer vans shouldn't have a problem, but then GM have been busy telling everyone they have solved the problem of cars bursting into flames!

trevskoda

Forum Member

3/4 years :lol-053:there just about run in unless you are buying crap,my car cost £10 when 7 years old ,now 22 with over 305000,cant beat a skoda & never missed a beat.
My vans now 16 years old and im 100% sure there is another 20 years in her,iveco.

trevskoda

Forum Member
Horses for courses at the end of the day chap.... we had a limited budget that just about stretched to 2500 for a 'just' sub 100k Transit Jumbo with useful bits fitted....
and with us hopefully continuing to get almost every weekend away rack up the mileage up fairly quickly.... before upgrading.

I'd still never buy anything French based even if it was next to free.

I have worked on french,total clap,pity carlsberg dont do vans.

Maci

Forum Member
I guess I would say there's no "right size that fits all". We converted a 7 mtr sprinter for 4 people with fixed 6' 2" beds as that was important to me. We decided what we needed and brought the van to match. At first I thought it was far to long But we have used every bit of space and being bigger it's got so much better living space than I had hoped for. Parking can be challenging, but we have always managed. we can walk through to the cab area making that area useable space ,thats really good too. :)

mark61

Forum Member
I was well chuffed when after buying my Renault Master based Devon conversion I found out they are fully galvanised. I now look at every Renault van I see on the roads and the majority show little sign of rust unlike most sprinters which are usually rot boxes once they are 4 / 5 years old.

Probably because what you think is a 5 year old Sprinter is a 17 year old Sprinter. :p

Obanboy666

3/4 years :lol-053:there just about run in unless you are buying crap,my car cost £10 when 7 years old ,now 22 with over 305000,cant beat a skoda & never missed a beat.
My vans now 16 years old and im 100% sure there is another 20 years in her,iveco.

7 year old ! I had cars that old when in my teens when I didn't mind getting my hands dirty keeping them running.
I'll stick with my new Golf which no doubt in your view is far inferior to your old Skoda lol !
Joking aside if you like working on old cars good on you. I'd rather spend my time doing other things like fishing and shooting and of course being out and about in my van.

trevskoda

Forum Member
7 year old ! I had cars that old when in my teens when I didn't mind getting my hands dirty keeping them running.
I'll stick with my new Golf which no doubt in your view is far inferior to your old Skoda lol !
Joking aside if you like working on old cars good on you. I'd rather spend my time doing other things like fishing and shooting and of course being out and about in my van.

Golf is good ,never have to work on car just service two times a year,skoda are made by vw prob why its good.

listerdiesel

Both of our company Renault Trafics had their gearboxes last over 250,000km, the latest one is up to 340,000km on the original gearbox and driveshafts. They were both 2.5litre, DCi140 and DCi150 LWB models.

As far as size goes, it's what fits your needs.

Our Mercedes is 6+ metres, the big trailer is 6+ metres, so not really an issue, we don't do small villages, end of.

What we DID want was room, lots of it and a fixed rear bed over a garage, toilet/shower, cooker, oven, fridge etc etc.

Peter

IanH

I'd say 6m length max, and that doesn't allow for bikes etc on the back, especially on ferries, you can always put them inside for the crossing and back again afterwards
A PVC has one HUGE advantage in its width, compared to coachbuilts etc. They are designed for white van man to deliver more or less anywhere and width is, by far the most important dimension
PVC's are designed from day 1 for a hard life, so the obvious choice
I wouldn't worry about parking too much, ours is 5.8m long and, ok, sometimes we have to be a bit selective, but, for example, parking quite easily and legally in a car park in Rouen town centre had no problems for us!

I'd worry much more about weight than size, light is always good.

Go for off grid from the start, at least 200w solar on the roof, underslung gas tank, gas fridge (NOT compressor) the rest should be easy!

Good Luck
Ian

IanH

1991 Renault Trafic (Eriba Car) 101000 miles, no issues!
2001 Volvo V40, 93000miles, no issues

BOTH have one huge advantage over new,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,neither can be plugged into a laptop every time they cough!!!

mistericeman

Forum Member
I'd say 6m length max, and that doesn't allow for bikes etc on the back, especially on ferries, you can always put them inside for the crossing and back again afterwards
A PVC has one HUGE advantage in its width, compared to coachbuilts etc. They are designed for white van man to deliver more or less anywhere and width is, by far the most important dimension
PVC's are designed from day 1 for a hard life, so the obvious choice
I wouldn't worry about parking too much, ours is 5.8m long and, ok, sometimes we have to be a bit selective, but, for example, parking quite easily and legally in a car park in Rouen town centre had no problems for us!

I'd worry much more about weight than size, light is always good.

Go for off grid from the start, at least 200w solar on the roof, underslung gas tank, gas fridge (NOT compressor) the rest should be easy!

Good Luck
Ian

I'd have agreed about the fridge...... right up until I swapped our 3 way 40l coolbox for a 12v variable compressor one (Waeco brand) it's very energy efficient pulling less than 1 amp and that ONLY when it runs....

I wish to God I'd swapped it years ago

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)