Habitation check results

Paulajc77

So I've just had my new to me panel van conversion Hab checked for the first time.
There are a few issues but the mail one is the water heater. It's a pilot light instant type but not made for a motorhome. What sort of water heater is best type without breaking the bank?

Squiffy

Forum Member
I would think that a lot would depend on whether you have a shower, basin and sink. If it's just a sink hot tap you require then a very basic heater could be used but as you increase the amount of stored hot water something a bit more grand would be needed. For sure it would have to be either diesel or gas run otherwise you would have to camp with the idea of shore based hookup which rather clips your wings. The cheapest way would be to source a secondhand propane/ 240v run 7 or 10ltr boiler from a caravan breaker, something like a Carver 10ltr these are simple and easy to set up, then of course you start to go up in cost and buy an webasto or Truma but these unless secondhand start to get eye watering. Phil

Last edited:

Nabsim

Forum Member
So I've just had my new to me panel van conversion Hab checked for the first time.
There are a few issues but the mail one is the water heater. It's a pilot light instant type but not made for a motorhome. What sort of water heater is best type without breaking the bank?
Is it one of the type that draw combustion air from in the van? Can you change so it opens to outside rather than into the van?

Paulajc77

OK, I think I need to explain more.
I have 2 sinks and a shower. I currently only start the water boiler heater thing for a shower, for washing up I boil the kettle.
The boiler thing is in the back of the van completely separate from the living space.
So I need something to heat water for a shower. Propane powered would probably be the easiest.
Screenshot_20190729_174900_com.gumtree.android.jpg

Squiffy

Forum Member
What precisely has the hab inspection said about your heater? I guess its run off propane and has been converted from natural gas to propane? Phil

Could use something like this if the boiler you have has a mechanical problem.

Last edited:

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
OK, I think I need to explain more.
I have 2 sinks and a shower. I currently only start the water boiler heater thing for a shower, for washing up I boil the kettle.
The boiler thing is in the back of the van completely separate from the living space.
So I need something to heat water for a shower. Propane powered would probably be the easiest.View attachment 1811
Love your draws ;)

Paulajc77

All he said was its not a suitable water heater for a motorhome. It works fine though.

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
They have done a good job on the wood . Dont think it unsafe but the weak link is the metal pipe work.

Do you have the rear door open or closed when it's in use.

Nabsim

Forum Member
They have done a good job on the wood . Dont think it unsafe but the weak link is the metal pipe work.

Do you have the rear door open or closed when it's in use.
It’s probably because of the venting/combustion air needed. While with back doors open there wouldn’t be a problem if someone who didn’t know bought it there could be fatalities. Same reason a lot of these type of heaters vanished from homes

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)