gearing up back axal

trevskoda

Forum Member
Well i have a replacement rear axal for my iveco 59/12 which has a 11/43 diff as aposed to the one in my van which is 8/41 top speed about 50mph.
So im over hauling the replacement one and what a job as to get the rear brake hubs of one must remove the bearing hubs first,problem here is there torque is a massif 460 nm on the nut.
Well i had to borrow a 90mm tool from iveco which i got one of but the other no mision so i had to drill the nut and split it.
Now the new nut will cost £35 and how im going to get it up that tight is going to be a head scratcher.
So in will go new wheel cyl and ajusters etc before putting all back together after i have shot blasted and repainted.
The gearing will mean just under 4 turnes of prop shaft as opposed to over five on the old axal,hopefull now a cruse of 55/60 at much lower rpm will save fuel and give a more relaxed drive.

izwozral

I wouldn't even contemplate tackling a job like that, hat off to you Trev.

Debs

Forum Member
Hi Trev, my Iveco has discs on the back thank goodness, but when I took it to the garage for them to check a slight show of oil from the axle end, they said no problem, but they did say they will check again at next MOT and that those oil seals are a right pig to change. Good luck with your overhaul.:hammer:

saxonborg

Could you not just swop the diff

To up the torque and reduce the effort you would need to use a torque multiplier. Try your local tool hire shop, if they don,t have one they will probably know where you can get one.

trevskoda

Forum Member
Could you not just swop the diff

No the diff is built in to the axle case unlike most small vans and clearances are critical,also iveco wanted over 700 bucks, lucky i picked the axle up in england and shipped it over along with 2 spare wheels at 400 bucks.Most axles are either 9/41 or more common 10/41 so i was lucky to get this very rare one.
Best bit is i will have spare shoes /drums and half shafts bearing etc just in case.
Big thing will be swaping in /out so 3 wheetabix for breakfast me thinks.

trevskoda

Forum Member
To up the torque and reduce the effort you would need to use a torque multiplier. Try your local tool hire shop, if they don,t have one they will probably know where you can get one.

I had a one meter 3/4 power bar with a 2 ft pipe over trying to get the damed nut of and it was bending like a bow string.
The socket to buy is £97 alone so i left a £100 surity to borrow it from iveco for the morning.

Fazerloz

You must have been unlucky Trev and it was grossly overtightened most 3/4 drive 500nm torque wrenches are just under 1mtr long. Try 4 wheatabix when you put it back.

trevskoda

Forum Member
You are prob right, i think some sod has been in there as there were new shoes fitted though it baffels me why they did not fit new wheel cyl as i always did this on cars as i found a few weeks down the line they started to leak and you had to do the whole thing over again.

listerdiesel

Have you worked out the overall gearing with the new ratio?

43:11 is 3.91:1

41:8 is 5.125:1

That's 25% as near as makes no difference, so in theory if you were redlined at 50mph before, you would see another 13mph if the engine has the power to pull that ratio.

Mercedes have an ultra-low town bus ratio which is used in conjunction with the Allison auto box, but long distance is a problem at 50mph.

If the vehicle is over 3050kg then you are at the lower road speeds anyway.

Peter

trevskoda

Forum Member
Thats correct with the g ratios ,the rpm drop at 50mph will be 710,at the moment its siting at 28oo which is unbearable to drive on m/way as folk are beeping there horns and giving the one finger salute.
So i should be able to go a bit faster as thats the biggest diff iveco do and there is plenty of power and first is never used,she is very under geared at present.

trevskoda

Forum Member
Brake plates and drums of to s/blaster today ,so epoxy primed the axle and received new 90mm lock nut in post,next i will order wheel cylinders,work never stops here no piece for the wicked.:rolleyes2:

listerdiesel

Looks nice!

Mercedes do both versions of the diff construction, built in like yours, or removable out of the front as an assembly like mine.

Not sure why they do both, unless there is a limit on the crown wheel size on the removable one.

Peter

Fazerloz

If you don't have a torque wrench that goes up that far hang a 50kg weight off your 1m strong bar at 940mm from the centre of the nut this should give you 460nm.
Or you could do like a lot of others and just guess. :have fun:

trevskoda

Forum Member
Good advice will remember that,just finished top coat of two pack semi satin gloss poly this morning.:banana:

Fazerloz

Are you going to fit a lift kit and lights underneath to show off your shiny diff like they did in the 70s.

invalid

Also sell advertising space under there, help get some of your money back. Just a thought “you could have bought a transit.” Awaiting incoming.:lol-061:

trevskoda

Forum Member
Im not a ford fan altho my van was sold as a ford/iveco as ford first marketed them here ,and yes may light up under side on a remote key fob so on returning to her at night i could pick her out from all other vans that are now springing up everywhere.
I find that all cars vans are not painted right from new or maybe its like that so it will rust faster so you have to buy a new one every other year,so simple to do right and its easy to clean and service/work on i think anyway.
Also if its clean and tidy what a nice place for the chaps at the tunnel to hide under on there onward travel into uk.

Last edited:

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)