Gas Combi Boilers, who's got one...???

StreetSleeper

Forum Member
You are correct, it would only be used for a short time. I was hoping to run it to a T piece; one going to the shower and the other going to the kitchen sink. The roof vent in the kitchen area would be open and so would the window, the shower room roof vent would be open as well.

Dinosawus

Forum Member

MOTOsapien

Forum Member
Does it take it's combustion air from outside?
Correct me if I'm wrong here AND I'm no gas fitter but fitted one years ago to a mobile library conversion of mine and it had a flu that incorporated outside air intake. I thought all boilers drew air from the outside as well as dissipating the bad combustion gases generated....???

Squiffy

Forum Member
Correct me if I'm wrong here AND I'm no gas fitter but fitted one years ago to a mobile library conversion of mine and it had a flu that incorporated outside air intake. I thought all boilers drew air from the outside as well as dissipating the bad combustion gases generated....???
Thats what I have always assumed yes, but we could be wrong. The inducted air is usually also associated with cooling the the flue too. Phil

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
I don't know your boiler and some things have improved over the years, but no harm in asking. Better than reading about the death of you and your family.

wildebus

Forum Member
Thinking back, in terms of domestic boilers I don't recall any of them having any kind of vent to bring IN air from outside.
Absolutely all had pipework for the outlet but the inlet was just the air around them.

StreetSleeper

Forum Member
1606820429763.png
1606829049381.png

Last edited:

Nabsim

Forum Member
No, you can get both types, vented and non vented

mistericeman

Forum Member
Thinking back, in terms of domestic combi type boilers I don't recall any of them having any kind of vent to bring IN air from outside.
Absolutely all had pipework for the outlet but the inlet was just the air around them.

Most moder(ish) domestic combo type boilers use a balanced flue...

A sort of double skinned arrangement... Combustion air in and combustion exhaust out...

ae235 (3).jpeg

Various manufacturers make lpg versions on the same principle.

There are also lots of instantaneous gas water heaters out there that just use the surrounding air for combustion and vent combustion gases back into the room (no flue/flue less type)

Morco etc used to sell them for use in boats/caravans etc...

And lots of folks have fitted them without issues...

Though I personally wouldn't want anything that wasn't flued correctly... Especially in a small enclosed place.

Last edited:

Squiffy

Forum Member
Thinking back, in terms of domestic boilers I don't recall any of them having any kind of vent to bring IN air from outside.
We are talking combi boilers I thought, your right the early water heaters (Geyser) did indeed draw air from internal sources. Phil

wildebus

Forum Member
We are talking combi boilers I thought, your right the early water heaters (Geyser) did indeed draw air from internal sources. Phil
Well, TBH I am talking combis as well.

The last boiler setup I did was around 2007 and was a Dutch Atmos Combi (chosen specifically as it accepted pre-heated water input so would work with the Solar DHW system). Just had a flue vented externally. No hole drilled in the wall for an inlet.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)