Favourite 3 tools

xsilvergs

Forum Member
Coincidentally I was going to put that UT201E Clamp Meter up as a favourite, Appears to me it really is
a universally favoured tool/instrument. If I have a gripe about it is the display illumination duration could do
with being longer, or even adjustable, but for c.£34 couldn't realistically expect more. Hang on yes I could,
perfect if it could measure Amps when clamped over twin core !! :cool:

I've not tried the hacks, a number of videos here
But it did help me decide what make clamp meter to buy.

Deleted member 12559

I bought the UT210E on the recommendation (with reservations) of a 'respected source' comparison review,
putting it up against pro equipment, it fared well enough.
The vid. shows up some shortcomings, interesting that illumination timing adjustment is something mentioned.
Overall, for the average amateur user such as myself it's probably good enough for most circumstances. Volts,
Ohms, Continuity, plus the Non Contact AC EMF measurement and the AMPs Clamp Meter Auto power off
are a bonus even if AMPS measurement can be potentially a little inaccurate!
I suppose that UT210E video decided you to buy a Fluke or some such? :)

xsilvergs

Forum Member
I bought the UT210E on the recommendation (with reservations) of a 'respected source' comparison review,
putting it up against pro equipment, it fared well enough.
The vid. shows up some shortcomings, interesting that illumination timing adjustment is something mentioned.
Overall, for the average amateur user such as myself it's probably good enough for most circumstances. Volts,
Ohms, Continuity, plus the Non Contact AC EMF measurement and the AMPs Clamp Meter Auto power off
are a bonus even if AMPS measurement can be potentially a little inaccurate!
I suppose that UT210E video decided you to buy a Fluke or some such? :)

After watching TheHWcave videos I decided to buy the 210E, it is accurate enough for most things I do these days. The fact accuracy and sample rate can be improved is a bonus and for less than £40 a bargain I my opinion.

Deleted member 12559

Out of all the h tec tools I have the hammer is for sure the most used
Post up some pics of your "pein' full broken fingers to prove it trev.:)

Out of all the lo Tec tools I have, my 10" chopper is my favourite,
not sure it"s my most used though!🤔

mb2tv

Forum Member
Have not built yet, but was thinking about tools and what tool is absolutely necessary, i thought about the humble measuring tape. Could you do anything without it?

wildebus

Forum Member
Have not built yet, but was thinking about tools and what tool is absolutely necessary, i thought about the humble measuring tape. Could you do anything without it?

Handy but not essential :) with so few straight lines in a van, markers more than measures work better. Set Squares are very useful.
Also, have a search for "ticking stick" on YouTube. If you have not come across that method, it could be handy when building out a camper?

Oh, and actually, here is a tool that is not just NOT essential but possibly downright dangerous in a van build .... A spirit level :D

DnK

Forum Member
Roofing square, combination square, straight edge. Work off floor square to it, as Wildebus says nothing is straight or square in vans.

Deleted member 12559

Like the white feather i never miss, bet you have to look that one up.
I actually had to think (difficult!) for a minute, because I had to allow for any Irish context!
Then I remembered the film 'The White Feather' I saw as a boy. Yes I agree when using
most tools it pays to be white featherish.

Deleted member 12559

To get a curved or wavy surface profile, a lead flexible strip can be very useful. Plastic covered types
can be found in Architect's and Engineers, Draftsmens supply outlets even in the digital
age.
And everyone knows how to make a simple scribing tool don't they? If not Mr Brown on
WC site? thread explains all.

Deleted member 12559

You can do quite a lot without an actual measurement marked tape. You only need 2 sticks of overlapping wood in line,
simple enough to put the stick ends at each of the 2 points, so long as you don't let the sticks get out of alignment or slip you'll
get a perfect fit, if you mark anywhere at the overlap you don't lose the length. Good method to get floor to ceiling heights,
tape measures are often awkward to hold at both ends, and you've normally got to add the tape housing body. Not
easy if you're p****d!

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
My make up tool is a flat board holder is the best tool for holding ply or other metiral up to the ceiling.
It's just a 5 starr chair base with the seat removed with a longer
1630578154959-1130077674.jpg
pole and a deck on top.

The base is gas operating. Lol so I can use it alone

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
I will soon be on window replacement again, this time I think I'll have to do it as my windows man has now got a warm and dry job. :(

So my favorite tool will be a 25mm Stanley extendable knife and window cleaner as a lubricant.

Last edited:

ScoTTyBEEE

Forum Member
Ideal stripmaster's are the best wire stripping tools I've used. I got a used pair probably from the 60's or 70's on ebay for cheap.

I've got so many other favourites but these stand out to me.

JIXAMAN

Forum Member
Ah got a cheap Chinese digital angle finder, put it on the floor, zero it and everything in the van is kind of level ish...

But best tool bought? Either the Paslode nail gun ah got off Gumtree when building the garage or the reciprocating saw, both man tools but if were talking campervan related, dunno, the hatchet probably, gets used everywhere we go...

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)