Earth 2 van

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
So got 12 spade fuse holder for lives and the vans twin wire all round. I'll need a earth block for 12 earths, found this in tool station !
Will it take 120 amps ? For 30 minutes.

Attachments

• 1639418720353531042070.jpg
    1639418720353531042070.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 137
  • 1639418756651-269994135.jpg
    1639418756651-269994135.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 122

MarkJ

Forum Member
Think I'd want ring/spade connectors for these too, rather than screw terminals, personally, irrespective of the current capacity.....

wildebus

Forum Member
That bar looks like the ones in Consumer units. They are usually fairly current limited. I would go along with Marks comment and find ones for rings, not least as better in the mobile earthquake environment that is a van.

SquirrellCook

Forum Member
I've gone feral mad for fine stranded wire in screw clamp fittings. Much easier than soldering the ends of the blighters.

wildebus

Forum Member
Busbars prices are remarkably high and I really don't understand why that is. You could make your own with some M8 studs and a strip of flattened copper pipe.
Commercial ones like this would do the job and about the best value - https://amzn.to/3DLbE8Q

st3v3

Forum Member
That bar looks like the ones in Consumer units. They are usually fairly current limited. I would go along with Marks comment and find ones for rings, not least as better in the mobile earthquake environment that is a van.

It's an earth bar, that would be external, but yes, for domestic electrical.

The holes will take a 16mm2 wire, and each wire has 2 screws. So, could be worse I recon. Won't get an inverter wire in though, hence my why 150A.

st3v3

Forum Member
12 fuses max 10 amp total 120 amps with all on at one time won't happen when I'm in the van but the girls don't turn anything off.

OK. Just because a circuit is fused at 10A, doesn't mean that current will flow. Add up what all of the bits actually are - e.g. each USB is 1A approximately. Lights are very low, heater fan 4A

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
The inverter go's straight to the smart shunt m8 bolt not via the fuse box.this is for the fuse box to smart shunt.

If I said 70 amp ?

st3v3

Forum Member
Busbars prices are remarkably high and I really don't understand why that is. You could make your own with some M8 studs and a strip of flattened copper pipe.
Commercial ones like this would do the job and about the best value - https://amzn.to/3DLbE8Q

Funnily enough, I wanted a stud to join some +24V where I've added the Orion. I wanted something with a cover, and struggled. So printed this with an M8 bolt.

20211213_135318.jpg

20211213_135409.jpg

Give me a shout if you want the files :)

mistericeman

Forum Member
BTW if anyone wants some copper tube (refrigeration grade so heavier duty than plumbing stuff)

Shout up....

I've often got offcuts of various lengths from 1/4 - 3/8 - 1/2 - 5/8

Mostly soft drawn (malleable coil form)
Occasional hard drawn (lengths)

Sprinter 1 cup

Forum Member
Yep upgraded from the old bus bar, new one now fitted.
So these wires should be tinted or ferrules. Ok
So i need solding irons. Torch and chisle. 30w and or adjustable where to buy? Need asap
the m8 smart shunt will be upto 3M meters from battery, found some old wire from a lorry jump starter with 150 amp Andersons on both ends need to desolder. Then I'll be, soldering ring lugs M 6 and m8 lugs on to the wire. It's as thick as my little finger.

I went to a electric shop ECP in town and he made me look stupid and didn't sell me the lugs as he wanted to know the mm of the copper wire not awg, little finger is not the tog for wire.
I left the shop and went asda to get beer so I can cry into it befor I go back with wire in hand tomorrow.

Also, What mm wire do I need for 40amp b2b charger and were to buy fom as he only sell rolls not as I need 10 meters this will be fitting for 2 chargers or can you put them inline. And use 1 thicker wire
Pic to follow

Last edited:

wildebus

Forum Member
Yep upgraded from the old bus bar, new one now fitted.
So these wires should be tinted or ferrules. Ok
So i need solding irons. Torch and chisle. 30w and or adjustable where to buy? Need asap
the m8 smart shunt will be upto 3M meters from battery, found some old wire from a lorry jump starter with 150 amp Andersons on both ends need to desolder. Then I'll be, soldering ring lugs M 6 and m8 lugs on to the wire. It's as thick as my little finger.

I went to a electric shop ECP in town and he made me look stupid and didn't sell me the lugs as he wanted to know the mm of the copper wire not awg, little finger is not the tog for wire.
I left the shop and went asda to get beer so I can cry into it befor I go back with wire in hand tomorrow.

Also, What mm wire do I need for 40amp b2b charger and were to buy fom as he only sell rolls not as I need 10 meters this will be fitting for 2 chargers or can you put them inline. And use 1 thicker wire
Pic to follow
AWG is american. you need metric sizes for UK suppliers.
For the Victron, 10mm2 or 16mm2, plus fuse holders at the energy (battery) sides of the connections. the biggest cable a Victron 30A B2B will accept is 16mm2. You are saying 10M cable? for that length of cabling I would go for 16mm2.
Note .... do NOT use a bootlace ferrule on a 16mm2 cable if you are fitting into a Victron 30A B2B. it WILL NOT fit. you need to use bare wire OR a flat pin terminal.

Where to buy cables? usual on-line suspects... Amazon or eBay. if you are getting cables, fuse holders, etc, you could have a look at simplysplitcharge.com . very reliable and fast delivery. My last order from them was Thursday and it arrived today.

Soldering Iron? for what size? if it is for 16mm cable, you would need a very powerful electric one! Personally, for that gauge of cable, when I am soldering a connection I use a blowtorch and plumbers solder and flux.

Users who viewed this discussion (Total:0)